Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter media blitz begins: Campaign to launch on March 6th, Chris Avellone endorses

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would love to see a system like in VtM:R where you got XP for resolving problems, not for killing mobs.
It would fit this interactive graphic novel game just right.

I think that was confirmed at some point? Brother None

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I would love to see a system like in VtM:R where you got XP for resolving problems, not for killing mobs.
That's how Numenera works. I'm pretty sure we'll stick to "no XP for grinding" but at the same time it makes sense to give "event XP" for fights, so it's not like "no XP from combat!" either. It's just XP centers around events, not around combat, in the Numenera system. I'm not sure a casual observer would even notice the difference.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's how Numenera works. I'm pretty sure we'll stick to "no XP for grinding" but at the same time it makes sense to give "event XP" for fights, so it's not like "no XP from combat!" either. It's just XP centers around events, not around combat, in the Numenera system. I'm not sure a casual observer would even notice the difference.

Does sound a lot like VtMB, I think the only combat XP there came from boss fights from memory, the less excuse for grinding the better.

hiver

yeah, i think its clear who is talking like a wannabe next line producer here.

Ill stick with bricks, tnx.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bro Apexeon also delivers some great 2D areas:

38-Chess-Hall-1-sa.jpg

42-Portal-Tower-1A-M-sa.jpg

Interface-Mark-1-AT-test.jpg

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does anyone else feel like that Avellone video was made specifically for the Codex?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nah. The "Codex script" of this video is the one where he slowly strips while soulfully looking into the camera and whispering "Torment: Tides of Numenera" over and over.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Does anyone else feel like that Avellone video was made specifically for the Codex?
Nah, the MCA cult is rising A LOT outside the Codexian borders, even NEOGaf and Kotaku now praises him as the God-Emperor... not to mention all his guest-appereaces at webseries and conventions.

Menwhile, at proud Codexia some of us are starting to feel a bit 'heretic' over the Emperor leaving the frontlines of the Great Crusade (not to mention his Arcanum LP) and returning to Terra...

space_10.gif
space_10.gif
space_10.gif
buveur10.gif
space_10.gif
space_10.gif
space_10.gif

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Too much already! Let's just see ONE of these KS games I've backed actually be released! Couldn't they have waited another 6 months when they had something proper to show regarding W2 first?

Zeriel

Arcane
Too much already! Let's just see ONE of these KS games I've backed actually be released! Couldn't they have waited another 6 months when they had something proper to show regarding W2 first?

Getting as much funding as they can before the whole Kickstarter phenomenon crashes! It's like the Dotcom bubble.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Would rather they did this as they wound up development of W2, but I guess they have their reasons.

Give them lots of money Codex.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Brian Fargo really wants to get rid of 100k for some reason.

BobtheTree

Savant
Don't think Avellone dropped enough f-bombs to convince me to back this game.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
It lacks most of the incentives of the W2 KS beyond "we make the game" but hell yes I am so down. Probably the last one for me in a while though.

IMO, instead of agonizing between realtime and turnbased combat, you should be asking: "Does Torment need tactical combat at all?" In Wasteland combat is essential but in Torment it was never really more than a chore.

As a more appropriate alternative, I would like to see you try to do it through the dialogue system. Like this (Please ignore the writing quality):

"Look boysss, fresssh meat." The thick haze inside the dingy bar is pierced by ominous red lights as the demon gang feast their eyes on you. Their leader steps forward and licks his lips with his monstrous tongue. "What's your price, little dumpling?"

1. [Swing for his mouth.]
2. [Break his neck.]
3. [Gouge out his eyes.]
4. [Trip his leg.]
5. [Knee him in the groin.]
6. [Back off slowly.]
7. [Run away.]
8. "More than you've got."
9. "What do you want?"
10. "What do you want?" [Scan the room for things that may be useful in a fight.]
11. "Please don't hurt me!"
12. "I need your help."
13. "Here, take it all!" [Hand him your money pouch.]

[Gouge out his eyes.]

(Secret dexterity roll succeeded!)

The demon didn't expect you to be that quick. With lightning speed you grab his head and jam your thumbs into his eye sockets. With a sickening pop the vile creature is blinded, and foul-smelling smoke billows out as it screams in agony.

1. [Break his neck.]
2. [Press harder.]
3. [Drop him.]
4. [Intimidate the others.] "Anyone else want some?"
5. [Look around for something to use as a weapon.]
6. [Run away.]

This means combat will be more sparse but that's a good thing. Torment is all about quality over quantity. However it should still have the longest and deepest game script ever and this will help with that. AFAICS what extra you spend on writing and scripting you save on combat animations.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Has inxile said anything about how their financials will work with this funding? will it be cannibalized by the WL2 production? will they sit on it and use it solely for Torment? if WL2 bombs how will that affect Torment production?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
:takemymoney:
I'm actually starting to feel the dreaded KS fatigue a bit by now and I would've preferred it if they had waited a few more months - ideally until after WL2's release, although I realize that's not realistic. Obviously I'll still pledge, though - how could I not (what else am I going to do with my money, buy food)? Are there any plans for a Codex fundraiser?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
My two cents:

Fuck all the naysayers. Kevin Saunders alone is enough for me to give this game my support. In the age of popamole and decline the lead designer behind Mask of the Betrayer plans to do a Torment-themed game? Fuck me if I’m not going to churn out 30 or 40 bucks to give him a shot. It’s a nobrainer, not the major investment decision some of you are making it out to be. 2012 was one of the worst years for RPGs ever and yet some guys here act like spoiled little princesses who can chose out of dozens of admirers, when in reality the (hardcore) RPG community is more akin to a dirty old whore that nobody wants to touch even with a long stick.
Will this game be any good? I don’t know though I strongly believe this could turn out to be a storyfags dream come true, especially with Monte Cook onboard and if they manage to pull in Ziets. It sure is worth a try, it’s not like there are any other new games to spend the money on anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom