Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Weasel
Send for Sensuki :mixedemotions:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Doesn't seem likely you'll find somebody interested in doing rigorous testing who wouldn't have gone and bought the beta himself.
$45 is a pretty high price point for some. Anyway, I found a worthwhile volunteer! "The Codex provides."

agris

Arcane
Patron
For anyone experiencing really low FPS in the first room with the shifting floors: try opening the map and closing it. Made my FPS jump from 10 - 15 up to 60.

throwaway

Cipher
Finally caught up with the last 10 or so pages of this thread. Brofisted everyone who used spoiler tags for the important bits, thanks for not being cunts.

For those of you who have played enough to to form an opinion and have already made some sort of remark on how it is likely to compare to PST in general, what about its 2 not too distant cousins MotB and KOTOR2TSL.

I feel, or at least I hope given the games pitch, that comparisons to them are likely to be much more useful than mentions of other modern Kickstarters (PoE etc).

Edit: bleh, too late

Last edited:

Prime Junta

For those of you who have played enough to to form an opinion and have already made some sort of remark on how it is likely to compare to PST in general, what about its 2 not too distant cousins MotB and KOTOR2TSL.

I actually fired up KOTOR2 the other day for this reason.

I discovered that I don't like it now anywhere near as much as I did when I last played it. The writing is ponderous and heavy and takes itself altogether too seriously. I have a clear preference for T:ToN in this respect. Visually and for gameplay it's no contest; KOTOR2 never had much going in that department.

As to MotB, that match would certainly be a lot tighter. Going by what's in the beta so far, I'd give it to MotB on points when it comes to writing, atmosphere, and coherence, but it's close and T:ToN could turn it around later in the game. OTOH T:ToN has way more reactivity. As to the gameplay and combat ... I'm reserving judgment for the time being. But yeah, between those two it's gonna be close.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I didn't care enough for KOTOR to even play it.
And I never thought MotB was anywhere near close to PST like some consider it here. It's certainly Obsidian's best attempt and it's quite enjoyable, but ultimately it didn't do much for me. TToN is way above it, I think.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I dunno, MotB is responsible for some of my personal best/most memorable moments in gaming. I still get occasional nightmares from that run I did embracing the curse. I don't think I've ever gotten to do so much so utterly despicable, vile, yet horrendously logical things in a game. Sending that one happy family to their deaths at the hands of cannibal monsters was the least of it. I wish evil was done that well more often, even if I don't know if I could bring myself to play it. G Ziets scares me though.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I never played MotB, sadly. I guess I should get around to it.

I kind of regret playing the Torment beta now, I don't wanna spoil myself.

Starwars

Arcane
I think MotB has some similar things to PS:T but they're really not very similar at all. I think people compared them because there really wasn't anything else comparable at all to the PS:T experience at the time and some things in MotB kinda went for the same vibe.

But Tides of Numenera is/will be far closer to PS:T, no question.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I dunno, MotB is responsible for some of my personal best/most memorable moments in gaming. I still get occasional nightmares from that run I did embracing the curse. I don't think I've ever gotten to do so much so utterly despicable, vile, yet horrendously logical things in a game. Sending that one happy family to their deaths at the hands of cannibal monsters was the least of it. I wish evil was done that well more often, even if I don't know if I could bring myself to play it. G Ziets scares me though.

Yes, one thing that MotB has going for it is that it did the evil path very well. In fact I found it more enjoyable than playing the good guy which was rather boring.

I think MotB has some similar things to PS:T but they're really not very similar at all. I think people compared them because there really wasn't anything else comparable at all to the PS:T experience at the time and some things in MotB kinda went for the same vibe.

But Tides of Numenera is/will be far closer to PS:T, no question.
Well, I played MOTB right after I had finished PS:T and had REALLY similar vibes. The whole atmosphere, I don't know, it felt really transcendental.

Prime Junta

MotB and PS:T have a lot of thematic similarities. Both are personal stories rather than epic save-the-world shit, both revolve around companions which develop (or start out with) a special relationship with you but have their own agendas as well, both have the planar dimension to them, both are wordy and narrative-heavy, both are set in off-the-beaten-track locations, and so on.

My main beef with MotB (and what stops me from replaying it a lot more) is that it's high-level D&D in the NWN2 engine. That makes the gameplay more of a chore than something to enjoy in its own right.

Starwars

Arcane
Been playing this a bit more.

Bad:

-I still can't stand the movement, I hate the "stops and starts". I guess it looks good when you're watching someone play it but it *feels* clunky as hell and unresponsive when you play.
-The tutorial area is not what I would call bad but I don't think it holds up at all (excluding the meres) to what comes after.
-I think I just might be alone in this but I'm not digging the graphics. The 3d models in particular look bad to me but the areas themselves also don't do much for me and some objects in the wold just look... bad and "pixelly". Hope it can be improved some before release.
-Related to the above one but the city doesn't hold a candle to Sigil. I'm sure some of the ambience will be improved later on but as of now it feels rather tepid and not really like a proper "city". The bustle is missing.
-I like the music but I wish there were more tracks playing around the various districts. I like PS:T's music as well but I don't particularly like that the same track is playing throughout the various areas of Sigil either. It gets repetitive.

Good:

-The writing is very good in general, feels like it holds up well to PS:T.
-Quest design also seems good, with various ways to solve things.
-Nice reactivity, great to see this.

Really enjoying it overall, I think it will be *great* game when it comes out. It's very intriguing even now.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Been playing this a bit more.

Bad:

-I still can't stand the movement, I hate the "stops and starts". I guess it looks good when you're watching someone play it but it *feels* clunky as hell and unresponsive when you play.
This irritated me even when watching VODs.

Fairfax

Arcane

I actually fired up KOTOR2 the other day for this reason.

I discovered that I don't like it now anywhere near as much as I did when I last played it. The writing is ponderous and heavy and takes itself altogether too seriously. I have a clear preference for T:ToN in this respect. Visually and for gameplay it's no contest; KOTOR2 never had much going in that department.

As to MotB, that match would certainly be a lot tighter. Going by what's in the beta so far, I'd give it to MotB on points when it comes to writing, atmosphere, and coherence, but it's close and T:ToN could turn it around later in the game. OTOH T:ToN has way more reactivity. As to the gameplay and combat ... I'm reserving judgment for the time being. But yeah, between those two it's gonna be close.
KOTOR2 has ponderous writing and TTON doesn't?
:hmmm:

throwaway

Cipher
I didn't care enough for KOTOR to even play it.
And I never thought MotB was anywhere near close to PST like some consider it here. It's certainly Obsidian's best attempt and it's quite enjoyable, but ultimately it didn't do much for me. TToN is way above it, I think.

Oh by all means I agree that it (and TSL) wasn't in the same league but AFAIK that's the closest thing we got to PST in terms of style and atmosphere. If anyone s aware of another one feel free to share (inb4 weeaboo dross).

Prime Junta

I wonder if MCA had anything to do with the birthing sequence? "Caul" is one of his pet words.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Very glitchy. So was WL2 in Beta, but damn I'm getting a lot of progress halting stuff. Worst was probably when I first exited the chamber with the first two party members and the area was displayed upside down and I couldn't tell at first if this was intentional or not.

I don't know if something story based like this works so well in a demo form. Still, I like what I see. Liked seeing two party members that don't want anything to do with each other.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
the area was displayed upside down and I couldn't tell at first if this was intentional or not

Too artsy for you
:troll:

Basically, my reaction. I thought it was an interface screw somehow related to the main character having just skydived through a plate glass window.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom