Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Long says he's been off of Torment for the last two months. He's now full-time Bard's Tale IV.

Nathan Long's companion is indeed Tybir.

jmt

Barely Literate
Long says he's been off of Torment for the last two months. He's now full-time Bard's Tale IV.

I'm thinking there's a major twist with Tybir later on. He's so average in every respect, there's got to be something else.

Know any other companions' writers? I'd like to know which ones were the concepts by MCA and Patrick Rothfuss.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm thinking there's a major twist with Tybir later on. He's so average in every respect, there's got to be something else.

Know any other companions' writers? I'd like to know which ones were the concepts by MCA and Patrick Rothfuss.

Do a search for "Nathan Long" in this thread and you'll find a spoiler post by Fairfax with the answer to that. But, spoilers.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

Have you talked to him with a scan thought nano? Hes a self servng yoshimo-like con artist. Well, hes Lando.

If he doesnt scam/betray/fuck over TNO in any way Ill be suprised.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Mwah. I'll buy it when I see reactions, like: "WOW. Just, wow."

A lot of fan-art is also a good indication.

So far, it has been like the POE discussion, toned down.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Haha, but you won't. I get it, you want to see giddy, child-like excitement to prove that this is a game that's really as good as those beloved classics you played as a child. You want to relive those feelings again. But this forum is way too jaded to act like that, even if the game is that good. If you're actually using the RPG Codex as a excitement barometer in that way, you might be ruining RPGs for yourself.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Haha, but you won't. I get it, you want to see giddy, child-like excitement to prove that this is a game that's really as good as those beloved classics you played as a child. You want to relive those feelings again. But this forum is way too jaded to act like that, even if the game is that good. If you're actually using the RPG Codex as a excitement barometer in that way, you might be ruining RPGs for yourself.
Eh, Let's see. I have bought .. zero .. AAA games in the last five years or so. Skyrim was the last, IIRC.

Bioshock was the game that broke my back, so to say. I ordered two collectors editions before it was out. And it was a huge bummer! First, the copy protection broke my installation, and everyone on the official forum was accusing me of piracy. That I even dared to ask my questions! It took weeks before they relaxed their draconian copy protection, and I was helped by a Russian hacker before I could finally play the game I bought two collector editions for.

And I didn't like it. Sure the first hours were great, I could finally play! And they had replicators! And reconstructors! Just like System Shock 2! Right? But, how about the game play? That's where it fell apart. It was very limited and boring. I really had to push myself to finish it once. While I fiinished SS2 many times.

I bought a few AAA afterwards, like DA:O, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and NV, and Skyrim, but the only one of those I liked was a modded FO:NV. Even Skyrim was decline, unfortunately.

So, what did I buy, or did I just pirate them all?

Well, I do try the "unofficial demo" for AAA games, because .. I tend to get bored with them in less than two hours time. Uninstall and forget. If I do like it (which didn't happen in the lasts five years), I'll buy it.

And I do read user reviews and forums (mostly this one, of course) before I buy games.

But I did buy many games in the last five years. Only, they're all Indy, or old. I wasn't a backer of Underrail, but I bought it as soon as it was available on Early Access, because of the positive posts here. Although I only started playing it after release, of course. And I have most of the other candidates, like Wasteland 2 and D:OS, and even obscure or cheap ones.

Wasteland 2 was the one that made me realize that I am better off waiting for release instead of backing Kickstarter projects.

Sure, if you have money to waste and want to encourage decline, you could buy them all. I don't.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
And I really want to like them! Or, better said: I really want them to be great!

But I have better ways to spend my time and money. Because most of them suck.

jmt

Barely Literate
Do a search for "Nathan Long" in this thread and you'll find a spoiler post by Fairfax with the answer to that. But, spoilers.

Thanks. I couldn't find a search feature though? Anyway, here are the relevant posts by Fairfax for anyone interested in companions (spoilers):

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...enera-now-in-beta.102141/page-32#post-4341543
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...enera-now-in-beta.102141/page-34#post-4342464
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...enera-now-in-beta.102141/page-34#post-4342386

Have you talked to him with a scan thought nano? Hes a self servng yoshimo-like con artist. Well, hes Lando.

If he doesnt scam/betray/fuck over TNO in any way Ill be suprised.

I did get scan thoughts in the beta but it never worked for me. Weird that they put such a generic companion in. Hopefully something develops with him later on, companions are so much better when they're actually part of the main story instead of just being "along for the ride".

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1511197

Hello Exiles,

Eric here! We'd like to start today's update with an important announcement. As of February 29th, our writing team on Torment: Tides of Numenera has completed its first pass on all of the game's writing. Our latest estimates put this at around one million words. We will know the final count in the coming months, but this is a big milestone for a Torment game, as you can no doubt imagine.

Torment's story is a carefully crafted one, and "first pass" means we have a lot of revisions and edits still to do as we perfect the game's word-smithing. But it does mean our story and quests are more or less set, and our design, scripting and engineering teams can focus their efforts on tightly implementing our remaining game systems and environment/level scripting.

So what is next for Torment? We are hoping to have the game content complete by the beginning of April. At that point, we will be taking the game into iteration. We are dedicated to getting Torment right, so just like the writing needs to go through polish passes, we have allotted significant time for ourselves to improve upon the game's content. This includes things like additional passes on environment art and visual effects, quests and dialog, user interface art and functionality, and gameplay balance, not to mention fixing bugs and optimizing performance.

We know that this will make some of you wonder – when is the final game coming? As we've mentioned before, we are still targeting a 2016 release. The benefit of our continued funding and the success of our back catalog (such as Wasteland 2: Director's Cut) means that we can continue put resources into Torment to make it something special for everyone who backed the game. We'll be able to narrow in on a more specific date once we are a bit deeper into iteration and know how much work we have left.

Torment Beta - Processing Feedback
Our beta test for Torment, which released in mid-January, has given us a huge amount of feedback from our community, and it has been invaluable for allowing us to prioritize things we want to change and improve upon. Having people able to submit their thoughts on the game directly while playing it is no small benefit to us and has led to incredibly detailed and nuanced impressions.

Many of our backers might be wondering exactly what our iteration stage for Torment will entail and what ways we respond to feedback. The truth is that this is often as much art as it is science, but we have a number of ways that we try to collect and process opinion and work to respond to it effectively.

The first, and most direct way we grab user impressions is from our feedback tool, which is incorporated into the Torment beta client. We originally developed this for the Alpha Systems Test, but it was such a success that we expanded its use and functionality for the beta. At all times while Torment is open, there's a "Feedback" button tucked away in a corner of the screen. Click it, and up pops a special UI where you can submit both bug reports as well as impressions and thoughts on gameplay, including the category and priority level.

7723c8acae380a6213c84ba7d70003c2_original.png

Just a tiny taste of backer feedback and bug reports. Currently we have well over 4,000 direct submissions from our players.

Once player feedback is beamed back, we are able to read over and massage that information and import it directly into our JIRA bug tracking system.

Not all feedback collection is quite this ordered. Our commitment to ensuring Torment's quality (and perhaps just a little vanity) means that our team members continually scour the Internet for impressions on the game. This can be anything from forum posts on our official forums and the Steam forums, to other RPG communities, to Facebook and Twitter comments, and of course, professional previews and articles from the press. Even the darkest reaches of reddit and Something Awful don't go unchecked.

Of course, there are larger points of feedback we receive which can't always be handled with a simple bug report or which require more significant design decisions, writing or engineering. For those points where we see significant amounts of feedback or critique, we often end up taking meetings dedicated to those topics, and the team will discuss how to act on it. One example might be specific combat or interface issues, and another might be a particular quest or story element we feel we want to change. From there, we work on a plan to address that in a way that fits into our development timeline, figure out exactly what needs doing, and then task that work out. A lot of this is often handled by my compatriot and name-brother Eric Daily, who is invaluable at keeping things on track behind the scenes.

Just one example of how we've acted on feedback can be found in our first beta patch for Torment. This was put out shortly after the initial release, and addressed many of the comments and issues that players ran into – everything from combat lock-ups, to save/load issues, to performance and optimization, to gameplay balance, and interface bugs. Getting these reports directly from our players allowed us to prioritize and address them much more effectively.

At the end of the day, we are making Torment primarily for our backers and our fans, so this kind of process is extremely helpful to us. In traditional development, we'd be making a game in a vacuum, guessing at what people might think of it or relying on limited playtests. With the beta, we have a pool of our most dedicated players to draw on, all of whom want Torment to be an awesome game as much as we do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Checked the comments section to see if backers who didn't buy beta access were still complaining about how other people can play it before they can, and indeed they are.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Behead all who think word count is a meaningful achievement in game development.

Modron

Arcane
Everyone knows the name and it's considered an "epic" despite most people (including myself) having not read it.

So what you're saying is it's the Citizen Kane of books?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom