Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is mindreading really as "powerful" in terms of unlocking content as WisInt was in PS:T? That was supposed to be a kind of design they wanted to avoid in this game.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Something people should be aware of when comparing Planescape Torment and this game:

It is both nothing like Planescape Torment and in many ways it is exactly like Planescape Torment. PST came at a time when pretty much every Western CRPG was very much a generic D&D-esque (well, Planescape is D&D to be fair) experience, and PST could be considered either an anti-thesis or--to a lesser extent--an attempt at breaking all of those conventions.

Numernera, I believe, seems to be the same thing, a response to the cRPG tropes and conventions we see today in gaming. Also, playing this game finally gave me the knowledge to make the rather obvious connection as to what the Torment name means and in turn made me feel like an idiot.

Is mindreading really as "powerful" in terms of unlocking content as WisInt was in PS:T? That was supposed to be a kind of design they wanted to avoid in this game.

It more provides some narrative insight, and can change some dialogue options but for the most part all content has had other solutions along with the small few mind reading has provided.

It is also implied mind reading will have some very negative consequences down the road.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer

It is not. There's a place or two where Scan Thoughts might gate significant reactivity, but it's primarily narrative color.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Thanks for your reponses, guys. It's really great reading your insights to our feedback in this thread.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Codex provides some good feedback... you know, interspersed with the hostility. We're always happy to get feedback on the official forums, too. (Plus, then Brother None can ban you. He loves doing that.*)

* he does not love doing that.

Robert Jarzebina

CMcC is InExile planning move to /opening office in Poland? Living and making games here is much cheaper.

Prime Junta

I wouldn't go quite that far. It does flesh out things a quite a lot though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And apparently the only reason for hitting your fans with an inevitably buggy release is that mainstream dummies cannot understand a combat system without HP.

THEN WHY IN THE BLOODY VAGINAL BURP DID THEY RETARD PROOF THE GAME BY ADDING IN A FUCKING HEALTH BAR?

Read thread

Our systems guys are totally aware of this. Part of the reason for the introduction of the Health bar is that we had no way of knowing how or where people had spent their Pool points, and it was entirely possible they'd go into Crises or situations where they could irretrievably fail. While we're cool with ending games for bad choices ("Why yes, I *WILL* stand and fighting this gigantic insect toe to toe!"), we didn't want to create a frustrating initial experience because of a combination of stat management and unlucky random numbers.

We're still working on balancing all this. It is, as you might imagine, pretty tricky.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Not sure what you are talking about. To use 3 effort you need to spend 7 points from your Int pool. For that to be free you need to have 7 Int Edge.

Not in T:ToN you don't. 1 Effort costs 1 Pool. 3 Edge gives 3 free Effort.

Either TToN uses very modified Numenera system or you have no clue what you are talking about and you are mistaking some other things for Effort.
Also cyphers are supposed to be one shot and not give bonus for every roll.

There's a cypher you get early on which gives +1 Intellect Edge until next rest. With that 3 Int Edge I have now (4 actually since I bumped it another notch), I don't see myself resting any time soon...
Ok... that is broken. No shit sherlock when you change basic mechanics things get broken... I hope this was an oversight from Inxile... :(

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Read thread
I did read that post. It's just not very convincing, sorry. When a player exhausts a limited resource pool and then fails an encounter, it's OK in my book. I don't see why the game should babysit us to ensure this isn't even a possibility. (Whether or not such situations should potentially block crit path progression is another question but in any case there are more elegant ways to address this particular issue.) Randomness is supposed to be meaningful too. If you make RNG completely toothless, why use it at all? Gambling where you cannot lose isn't gambling and isn't fun.

I'm not a Numenera purist. But the game already at least one failsafe device (the Castoff Labyrinth). Does it really need more? I would support HP if the game were RTwP with traditional combat. But in the context of existing TToN systems this change looks like a cop-out.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
What performance are y'all gettin'?

I'm at mostly 50-60 fps with V-sync most of the time, with dips to like 40-50 in Sagus Cliffs big areas with lots of NPCs and zoomed out, running around.

I got occational stutters and jitters, especially in the intro area when the pillars turn and change for a few seconds.

I got a 970gtx clocked with I7 4790k

I'm also having trouble seeing the detail of characters etc unless I zoom in pretty far, which sadly hurts my eyes abit.

Fry

Arcane

I'm at mostly 50-60 fps with V-sync most of the time, with dips to like 40-50 in Sagus Cliffs big areas with lots of NPCs and zoomed out, running around.

I got occational stutters and jitters, especially in the intro area when the pillars turn and change for a few seconds.

Pretty much the same with an i7-4790k and GTX770. CPU around 35% load and GPU 75-100%.

Drudkh

Learned

I got a 970gtx clocked with I7 4790k

I wish i ran nearly as good as that. My card is comparable to yours if maybe a bit stronger in power, but i'm still running an amd 3.2 quad without any overclocking.... yeah, it's bad. Luckily in an isometric rpg fps doesn't matter too much, so it's acceptable to me. (wasteland 2 and pillars run flawless with x12 anti-aliasing, on the other hand)

Ninjerk

Arcane
Just started playing the game today.

Fascinating. I'd also like to say that I'm glad whatever the state of combat that it isn't a Select All right-click borefest.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
dfgffg.png

It would be nice if the game would support selecting that attack damage bonus via keyboard shortcuts also (1 2 3 etc. keys or any other keys). Selecting it with mouse only becomes tedious after some time.
Keyboard shortcuts support for everything in fact.
It doesn't matter if we'll be able to rebind those keys or not but keyboard shortcuts is a must in my opinion.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Pretty much the same with an i7-4790k and GTX770. CPU around 35% load and GPU 75-100%.

Same. Still nowhere near good enough for release, but much more playable :)

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Don't really like the new intro crisis. It's really plain and the area it's in is so dull compared to the original. Just attack three enemies and that's it.

The original had problems; the crisis for it was a bit tedious but I actually liked the Tidal monsters you approach in the tanks and it introduced that Crisis's are about more than just combat. Moving the CYOA's away from that section in the Beta doesn't help matters, but I'm glad you clarified they're still in the game.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't really like the new intro crisis. It's really plain and the area it's in is so dull compared to the original. Just attack three enemies and that's it.

The original had problems; the crisis for it was a bit tedious but I actually liked the Tidal monsters you approach in the tanks and it introduced that Crisis's are about more than just combat. Moving the CYOA's away from that section in the Beta doesn't help matters, but I'm glad you clarified they're still in the game.

Agreed. They went a bit overboard in simplifying the opening act before waking up. Even though it was a bit infoheavy and a tad cumbersome in places, lots of intrigue was lost in the new iteration.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So I downloaded, and the performance is improved, but still a long way from being playable for the majority of gamers (those that don't own core i7 and gtx970)... Fucking unity.

Writing and pace wise they did the right thing streamlining the intro, tho the writing is still hit and miss, and it's noticeable that there are too many writers.

Overall, it's a marked improvement over wasteland 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom