Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Ikit Claw

Literate
That's nice and all but the game has reached the end of its life cycle regardless.
I think the WH3 cycle will end in 2-3 years...unless SEGA wants to shutdown CA, or CA kills itself with a new magic game like Hyena, or a a new shitty Total War Saga.

Hydro

Educated
I know the only option these twats can redeem themselves — making a historical title based on the Medieval Rus’ states.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I know the only option these twats can redeem themselves — making a historical title based on the Medieval Rus’ states.
Any historical game they make now would include Black people and female rulers 100% guaranteed.

Elttharion

Learned
That's nice and all but the game has reached the end of its life cycle regardless.
I think the WH3 cycle will end in 2-3 years...unless SEGA wants to shutdown CA, or CA kills itself with a new magic game like Hyena, or a a new shitty Total War Saga.
I doubt they can wring even one year of DLC out of this.
I also doubted Paradox could shit out a decade of DLCs for EU4 yet here we are.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt they can wring even one year of DLC out of this.

They are releasing like 2 DLC per year at this point so they might very well be able to.

That being said the DLC is mostly kinda boring too as there is design space limitation. On the other hand this is the only game that's making money for CA right now. Pharaoh and that tranny shooter game being burnt money.

Any historical game will also be under heavy scrunity and they can't get back on IP power like WH to soften the blow.

I assume they are very likely going to make a new IP game instead of historical after this

Lacrymas

Arcane
Troy with mods is still better than the Pharaoh Dynasties update because the factions are actually distinct from one another.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The SFO devs about the changes to AI:
5.2 update mentions big changes to AI among many other things that should make it more “smart”. While playing now you can see AI more aggressive and harder at the first glance. We went deep into those changes and found out why. Actual AI changes are very minimal to the point of not affecting the campaign at all. The big change that was introduced is the insane amount of cheats that AI received. We are talking about 80% cost reductions for buildings, recruitment or units upkeep. No technology costs, high replenishment, no attrition damage or free experience for units and characters. Those values are almost double from the previous vanilla version and a base when the game begins so with few more technologies that AI researches way faster than players we have a situation when everything is just free. But what really changed that AI has more elite armies is not the fact that it started to move to proper provinces and recruit there, no. AI after the update has NO global recruitment time and cost. Yes, AI can do it for free now and instantly. And things that I just mentioned are not only on Legendary difficulty but on all of them, added to AI stronger the player is (even 3 player provinces can provide 50% reductions for AI). It all causes situations when 1 enemy province can produce an unlimited number of armies. So if you want to win a war you need to wipe out the enemy.

lmao

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm not surprised. I wouldn't even be surprised if they can't do anything for the AI to be smarter due to the spaghetti code, so giving them insane cheats is the only way.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I'm not surprised. I wouldn't even be surprised if they can't do anything for the AI to be smarter due to the spaghetti code, so giving them insane cheats is the only way.
Advertising it as "improvements to the AI" is misleading, which just shows that CA are back to their usual bullshittery.

GreyViper

Prophet
Oddly enough it made the game enjoyable to some ppl now, I kind of wish there was in game UI option where you can turn on/off certain cheats for AI. But yeah the enemy is pumping out armies like there is no tomorrow, as Grom went to Yvress, captured the city and was goin toward Etine when I ran into 5 Tyrion armies and Elthrion with his second one. Eltharion armies were trash, now Tyrion all armies were rocking 4-5 dragons mix of phoneix guard and sisters of Averlon. I had one look and noped out and mind you I was coming with Grom and 2 Whaged full stacked armies with me.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Oddly enough it made the game enjoyable to some ppl now, I kind of wish there was in game UI option where you can turn on/off certain cheats for AI. But yeah the enemy is pumping out armies like there is no tomorrow, as Grom went to Yvress, captured the city and was goin toward Etine when I ran into 5 Tyrion armies and Elthrion with his second one. Eltharion armies were trash, now Tyrion all armies were rocking 4-5 dragons mix of phoneix guard and sisters of Averlon. I had one look and noped out and mind you I was coming with Grom and 2 Whaged full stacked armies with me.
Yeah that sounds familiar. Decided to check out that new 5.2 patch and launched High elf campaign (Elladriell). And guess what I have 3 very strong armies and all of them are constantly engaged trying to defend Avelorn. I get constantly attacked from all sides (Norska, Khorne, Dark Elves, Undead Pirates, you name it). I manage to defend it and sometimes even counter attack coast cities but there is no chance I could possibly launch a full scale offensive. Well now I know what caused this difficulty spike.

GreyViper

Prophet
By the way the cults seem to be now less useless and more interesting, it seems. https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/c..._say_oracles_of_tzeentch_in_52_are_excellent/
I never expected cults to be so good and so important for Tzeentch, from enabling you to spend small grimoire on breaking alliances and forcing a war between superpowers (in this campaign Ice Court vs Reikland and Yvresse vs Eatine and Itza vs Fat Frog dude), to spreading your zerg creep (forcing attrition to prevent replenishent, buffing your units), to actually managing your cult empire and summoning Kairos with an elite army to hand it off to another lord the updates completely changed the way you play the faction.

Beforehand Id have long distance invasions reserved for transfer settlement but now I have options to do it beyond dumping 2k grimoire into taking a settlement from Eatine. I can keep minor factions alive and force them to be cult factories - producing Magus like a factory or by dismissing spent cultists to bring Kairos back home using the summon ritual so he can recruit an army only to re-cult the building with a freshly recruited Cultist then sending him away to Cathay with another ritual to nuke them out of orbit.

The AI is packing more and better armies so they ruin each other with tactful changings and you can create a screen for yourself using other factions as meatshields. The lightning strike cult building allows you to play with few armies and allowing you to take fights you otherwise cant.

This is probably the most meaningful change Tzeentch has seen and it plays perfectly into that underhanded Daemonic asshole way of playing. You get to build tall while being anywhere you want to and creating your own little sandbox in a way that wasnt possible pre 5.2 without alot of planning and set up.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
What a bunch of fuck, the Long Victory for Ghorst is STILL to kill off the Empire.

They really didn't think any of this through. I wanna get the VH victories as VC, Skaven and Orcs still. Playing Ghorst, see above. Playing Skrolk you're facing stacks of Saurus Warriors as usual but the new "mechanic" of plagues only works through Schemes so there's no chance to get one off early either.

As Vlad, you get into trouble with Drycha early and early VC vs Wood Elves is also A BUNCH OF FUCK.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
You think the Skaven Plague stuff would be great for Skrolk but it's a hassle to start them - You can only do it via Ritual, unlike Nurgle.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
5.2 update mentions big changes to AI among many other things that should make it more “smart”. While playing now you can see AI more aggressive and harder at the first glance. We went deep into those changes and found out why. Actual AI changes are very minimal to the point of not affecting the campaign at all. The big change that was introduced is the insane amount of cheats that AI received. We are talking about 80% cost reductions for buildings, recruitment or units upkeep. No technology costs, high replenishment, no attrition damage or free experience for units and characters. Those values are almost double from the previous vanilla version and a base when the game begins so with few more technologies that AI researches way faster than players we have a situation when everything is just free. But what really changed that AI has more elite armies is not the fact that it started to move to proper provinces and recruit there, no. AI after the update has NO global recruitment time and cost. Yes, AI can do it for free now and instantly. And things that I just mentioned are not only on Legendary difficulty but on all of them, added to AI stronger the player is (even 3 player provinces can provide 50% reductions for AI). It all causes situations when 1 enemy province can produce an unlimited number of armies. So if you want to win a war you need to wipe out the enemy.

lmao
WTF. That's crazy. Considering I even managed to develop AI that was self-learning and able to play WH total war like battle maps. That was before WH3 however, nowadays it degraded into total crap.

On the positive side Shogun 2 is still enjoyable.

lmao
WTF. That's crazy. Considering I even managed to develop AI that was self-learning and able to play WH total war like battle maps. That was before WH3 however, nowadays it degraded into total crap.

On the positive side Shogun 2 is still enjoyable.
https://medium.com/@julianmckinlay/...sembly-my-statement-ten-years-on-d964f65b0a8f

The market department at CA never gave two shits about ai or gameplay. They just wanted more flashy features.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Of course. There is also nothing they could do to actually improve the AI due to tech debt.

I've noticed no improvement to stack composition anyway. Just more of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom