Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

I think the composition problem is the same as before. The AI doesn't replace units in already full stacks, so LLs will run around with T1 units recruited during the first few turns until they lose them and refill the spot with T4-5 stuff. The only change is that with the AI building up faster and building more armies you're less likely to see joke stacks like that past the very early game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd prefer when armies would have also low end units. It's kinda weird when battle is 20 units vs 20 units, and then AI sends 19 dragons and general on a dragon.

Hydro

Educated
I'd prefer when armies would have also low end units. It's kinda weird when battle is 20 units vs 20 units, and then AI sends 19 dragons and general on a dragon.
Official unit caps would have resurrected my interest in this feces slop I imagine. Alas.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unit caps don't matter when a campaign has been won on turn 15 and you just have a huge grindy slog after that to see the victory screen. Even if they did matter, basic units are never (meaningfully) capped despite being able to be doomstacked.

Official unit caps would have resurrected my interest in this feces slop I imagine. Alas.
Yeah, the problem is it would need to be enforced on the player as well else an AI handicapping itself like this would just lead to ever fight being an easy autoresolve win.

_V_

Liturgist
You could have a faction-wide hard cap for high tier units as well as a point buy system for generals which they can only moderately increase with experience.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
You could have a faction-wide hard cap for high tier units as well as a point buy system for generals which they can only moderately increase with experience.
Nah, a hard cap like in 6th edition would be better. A typical army could have 1 Lord, 3 Heroes, unlimited (but no less than 3) Core units (so tier 1 and 2 I guess), 4 Special units (tier 3 and 4 here), and 2 Rare units (tier 5). Since TW armies are bigger, make that 1 Lord, 4 Heroes, unlimited tier 1 and 2 units, 6 tier 3 and 4 units and 3 tier 5 units. There.

Hydro

Educated
Nah, a hard cap like in 6th edition would be better. A typical army could have 1 Lord, 3 Heroes, unlimited (but no less than 3) Core units (so tier 1 and 2 I guess), 4 Special units (tier 3 and 4 here), and 2 Rare units (tier 5). Since TW armies are bigger, make that 1 Lord, 4 Heroes, unlimited tier 1 and 2 units, 6 tier 3 and 4 units and 3 tier 5 units. There.
Yes. With an exceptions for some legendary lords like Scrolk who can wield plague monks without limit.
Yeah, the problem is it would need to be enforced on the player as well else an AI handicapping itself like this would just lead to ever fight being an easy autoresolve win.
Yeah, more pressing on this braindead AI wouldn’t be a good thing for sure.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

This is more or less the Tabletop Cap mod works (and it also limit the AI army, even end game crisis free spawn army IIRC).

Unlimited Core.

10 points of Special, 5 points of Elite. For example Steam Tank/Frost Bear things, most of high Tier big units are 3 Elite points so you can ever only have one

Hydro

Educated

This is more or less the Tabletop Cap mod works (and it also limit the AI army, even end game crisis free spawn army IIRC).

Unlimited Core.

10 points of Special, 5 points of Elite. For example Steam Tank/Frost Bear things, most of high Tier big units are 3 Elite points so you can ever only have one
It does except for the legendary lords unique rules.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Frankly this is wargame which simulates economy and research. This means it doesn't need special ad hoc rules for what you can send to meeting engagement. If Karl Franz wants to fight a battle against two units of goblin spearmen in the middle of nowhere with whole army, nothing stops him. Meanwhile enemies can burn Altdorf and the rest of the Reichland.

The problem is neither player nor AI has problems with rising two stacks of 20 units and do another battle few turns later.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The recruitment in all TW games post Medieval 2 is shit and one of the main reasons these games are bad and feel bad to play. You lost stack of 20 elite units, no problem 2 turns later you have another stack. Fucking terrible. Medievel 2 modded recruitment made you plan your whole battle around the precious man-at-arms or elite cav unit, because you had to wait 8 to 12 turns to even be able to get another. Also balancing around the upkeep cost is the wrong method, it should be the opposite.

"replenishment" too. Makes victories with 5% casualties barely any different from a victory with 90%, because when you replenish 50% per turn you're back with a full strength army in two turns. This was a big reason to use lower quality units in the old games, they were there as an easily replaced meat shield. I'd be fine with some kind of replenishment but it needs to be slower and take into account logistics somehow (and not the way the stupid climate system does it).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Unlimited Core.

Yeah from technical perspective, the mod actually supports that but it requires someone to code it. One guy made the special rules sub mods in the past (e.g. Grimgor has lower cost on Black Orc units) but he kinda disappeared from the scene and the sub-mod no longer works.

While editing/making cap for all unit is rather easy (I made some personal caps for mod units I used), making a Lord specific rule is a lot more involved, referring to multiple tables in the script.

Done it for one mod RoR but doing it for ever single LL gonna be a massive pain

Hydro

Educated

Unlimited Core.

Yeah from technical perspective, the mod actually supports that but it requires someone to code it. One guy made the special rules sub mods in the past (e.g. Grimgor has lower cost on Black Orc units) but he kinda disappeared from the scene and the sub-mod no longer works.

While editing/making cap for all unit is rather easy (I made some personal caps for mod units I used), making a Lord specific rule is a lot more involved, referring to multiple tables in the script.

Done it for one mod RoR but doing it for ever single LL gonna be a massive pain
Exactly the reason I don’t rely on mods to enjoy a game.

The Nameless One

Literate
Still waiting for siege battles to be fixed

bamt12m1e0za1.png

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Since there's no Pharaoh thread:

- Blood DLC is 3 bucks and mandatory. Can't use CreamAPI to unlock it. Scummy.
- Some neat ideas with the mechanics but it feels bloated - You get a big huge info page when you start a faction about all their stuff and it's just... too much. Little of it matters.
- They brought back the Family Trees, lol
- Basically it's still Rome 2 with a new skin and a few tweaks. Always has been.
- Horse archers have peaked with Attila and will never again be cool
- The UI is messy and looks like a mobile game
- Unit spacing is shit

Last edited:

Hydro

Educated
Dam, I have ptsd after Slavs Legendary campaign in Attila. Fucking brutal.

I still love Attila tho. Especially this Slavs DLC — some good ideas there like unique victory conditions linked to recourses and buildings.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Dam, I have ptsd after Slavs Legendary campaign in Attila. Fucking brutal.

I still love Attila tho. Especially this Slavs DLC — some good ideas there like unique victory conditions linked to recourses and buildings.
Attila is very underrated in my opinion.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Requested a refund. This is the same shit as Rome 2 with a different coat of paint. If Troy is the same (It is, don't pretend it isn't) these games are rightfully ignored as shit.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Warhammer 3 is also a Rome 2 reskin.
And yet it manages to have a better combat feel, better spacing, better UI... The base is the same but the user experience is much better. Same with Attila and 3K btw, heights that they failed to achieve since. It also somehow managed to bring back bugs that were fixed years ago in the other games, like the idle unit problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom