Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I removed them too, it seems pointless to clog up my space with them. Hopefully, Steam doesn't redownload them every time there's a new patch out.

Delterius

Arcane
Fire-by-rank looks cool but it was buggy and jank and I can imagine players raging if they lose multiplayer games because the firing animation got stuck.
are u under the impression people didn't rage at the general suckiness of empire total war

being 'multiplayer focused', if it's even true, is not the reason why someone would make shitty and buggy animations like that

Last edited:

tabacila

Augur
Replenishment seems bugged or I don't get how it works -

What is 3% here? 3% of what? There isn't a single number here of which 3% would be close to 60-70 like the first peasant spearmen would suggest.
I'm shocked... that Cathay doesn't have a eat captives option when fighting beastmen/ratmen. Perhaps this is the source of the Chine review bombing?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
All guns have become less and less realistic since Medieval 2. I think this is because CA have become more multiplayer focused. Fire-by-rank looks cool but it was buggy and jank and I can imagine players raging if they lose multiplayer games because the firing animation got stuck.

Even with fire-by-rank removed and reload times shortened, guns are still a pain in the ass to use compared to other ranged because of line-of-sight issues. Exacerbated by all the high hills, rolling and dead ground in newer maps compared to Medieval. Also exacerbated by weapon ranges being too long to make up for super-high running speeds.

In real-life battles, ranged-heavy armies used obstacles, natural or manmade, to give them more time to prevent melee enemies from closing. No such thing exists in Warhammer, not even city walls which take only seconds to climb. The only obstacle you can use is a wall of units and then you need arcing fire to shoot over their heads.

Fire-by-rank can work if they set limits to it. If you have two ranks, they'll fire and reload simultaneously, if you have 3, they'll do fire by rank and any more ranks and ones beyond third rank will not be included in the reverse march and only fill in casualties. This would work much better than bizarre stuff like Medieval 2 units going back 8 ranks or inability for ranks to function with casualties when it is more than 3.

After that they can improve the general performance of firearms, by giving them better damage & projectile velocity which would compensate for the fact that at any given point you can have a lot of units not firing.

This would be both reasonable and also has historical example.

Olinser

Savant
3% of total army, spread evenly between casualties.

It seems though army upkeep from supply lines modifier is bugged, and doesn't decrease when a lord is disbanded or wounded, only when a lord dies. So if you have lords getting wounded and recruit them again, the supply lines modifier keeps stacking.
Which army? My army is 989 people, 3% of that is 30, not 60+. Those peasant spearmen jumped from 90 to 151. Is it 3% of total HP including the lord?

That was the same as it was in TWW 2.

There are some hidden modifiers on it, and yes, it seems to work off HP, because it will heal single-entity units.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Wall-towers + cavalry win the siege battle.

In real-life battles, ranged-heavy armies used obstacles, natural or manmade, to give them more time to prevent melee enemies from closing. No such thing exists in Warhammer, not even city walls which take only seconds to climb. The only obstacle you can use is a wall of units and then you need arcing fire to shoot over their heads.

The new barricades are such an obstacle.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, that siege rework and specifically the supplies and building things during sieges. I'm not a fan. The maps are great, even better than Troy's, but that tower defense game... I get what they are going for, I guess, but the execution is bad. They want you to send troops to get the supply points or whatever they are called in order to stop the AI from rebuilding towers and barricades, but you almost never have a reason to split your army like this in practice. Even if the towers and barricades represented an actual threat (they don't), the supply points for the ones which are in your way are conveniently very close, so it just wastes time more than anything. It's not good and I predict it getting tedious very fast. The first mods for this game are going to be ones removing this entire thing.

I like defending the settlements but it is a little too easy on Legendary/VH when a minor settlement can potentially beat around 20-25 units. The AI doesn't seem to attack towers at all and gets the capture points only once in a while generally by accident. Also tzeentch cavalry is insanely good in these situations where it can constantly flank and ambush small groups of enemy ranged units that the AI leaves unprotected in sieges and take no damage from barrier.

The layouts are also sometimes quite shit indeed. Sometimes the bound towers let you create great killzones, other times the capture points are right in the AIs way and will always be taken and the towers you can defend with in the center suck.

For attacking my main problem is that its still just a bit too confined. The paths should be ~33-50% bigger imo or ultra unit scale size units don't really fit in. It does also get a bit tiresome, settlements without defensive structures built should just be field battles

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The dudez who had ideas like "let's program our unit pathfinding so they will move through gaps in the formation" are long gone from this trash company.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, magic. This is the weakest point of battle gameplay. A lot of time is spent using spells the second they go off cooldown and they are way too powerful. I only have Zhao Ming and an alchemist in my (I was going to type party, lol) army and they destroy entire units with well-placed spells. Which is not bad in of itself. However, magic only being limited by winds of magic (i.e. mana) is insane in the context of how powerful they are. In Troy, you have very limited use of spells on Mythos mode and getting spell uses at all requires campaign actions that take resources and turns. Here, you just spam to your heart's content and more often than not magic is what does the winning for you. It actively contradicts the map layout because it doesn't require line of sight as far as I can see, so your normal troops are obstructed by terrain while magic isn't. I can't be the only one noticing battles revolve more around magic use than army control. Easy solution to the problem - remove spells that cause (direct) damage.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Maybe someone will mod in old school daemonettes.
index.php

It's funny how GW tries to be both edgy and family friendly somehow.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
So barricades can block spells, especially vortex spells. But they don't redirect them, meaning if you cast a Purple Sun and it decides to move towards the barricade it will sit there for its entire duration and utterly wreck the unit on the barricade.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The Demon Souls mechanic is shit. Plain and simple. The AI is way better at traversing the realm of Chaos than the player ever could be so if you don't immediately enter a realm yourself you're pretty much fucked.

The same is true for the Motherland by the way. The AI will always gain followers faster than you no matter what.

Lacrymas

Arcane
More impressions - the Yin/Yang thing on the campaign map could've been better. Two problems with it. While it does heavily encourage you to watch what you build, it's unnecessarily artificial and gets cancelled out anyway by the fact you have essentially the same building but with the opposite alignment, so so much for that. The second thing is that half the buildings don't have a yin/yang alignment, especially the military buildings, so the actually important structures don't take part in this mechanic. The devs are going out of their way to not inconvenience the player at all and it's blindingly obvious they are doing this. It's spineless and it's lame. The Wu Xing Compass is essentially as pointless as I thought it would be, it needs more tension and the perfect opportunity would be a rivalry with the other sibling in a Paris and Hector style feud. The third mechanic, the caravans, is also debatable, lololol. It's like a minigame you have to babysit every few turns and it gives you free gold and artifacts (I got 2 unique items from 2 caravans), but it's totally disconnected from the rest of the game. It is also artificially limited by allowing only a single caravan at any one time for no reason. You could have more than one, but the first sent one has to be on its way back home for you to be able to send the second.

These are simply a collection of ideas vaguely "inspired by" China that doesn't gel into a coherent whole or with the usual gameplay. It's bizarre, there are no other words for it, an overhaul is needed and the game is only 1 day old.

Another debatable thing that happened is that while I was out in the desert dealing with the last vestiges of rebel scum, the game spawned 2 full armies of Clan Eshin on my doorstep and went "go kill Snikch". Uuuuh, ok, just give me 10-15 turns to build an army capable of doing that, game. Thankfully, he only raided one of my settlements and ran away. I managed to defeat much bigger armies than my own by now, but not as big as this. Here's the thing with that, though, the legendary lord carries the battles hard. Melee units deal almost no damage, so your damage potential is limited by the amount of ammo your ranged units have. The moment it runs out, you've pretty much lost unless the LL is an unkillable machine of death being able to take care of everything himself while your other units just stand around buying time. And he is capable of doing that. However, this forces you to pick up every last little bonus and tech for ranged units along the way first, exacerbating the problem with the ranged-heavy meta. Playing on Very Hard/Hard btw, I imagine this problem is even worse on Very Hard battles.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom