Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Tyrr

Liturgist
Perfect rulers? Emperor and empress are completely MIA, the whole place is ruled by sibling rivalry as well as daddy and mommy issues. One thing I didn't like is however lack of jade vampires, I assume they'll be included eventually with some DLC.
They are so great, wise and powerful, they don't really care about the rifts. They aren't tempted by the power of the bear, or even just concerned about what happened. They just want to get information about a missing sibling.

Look at those noble Dragons that rule China Cathay.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
They are so great, wise and powerful, they don't really care about the rifts. They aren't tempted by the power of the bear, or even just concerned about what happened. They just want to get information about a missing sibling.

Emperor and empress represent the navel gazing parts of Chinese palace rulers.

Maybe stop being so butthurt about modern China? Whenever there is something about China in games there is a collective of people whose ass catches fire immediately.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Maybe stop being so butthurt about modern China? Whenever there is something about China in games there is a collective of people whose ass catches fire immediately.

Man, imagine if they added Araby.

:popcorn:

I liked Three kingdoms. Cathay is their baby OC donut steal mary sue faction.

Their aesthetic alone is far more Disney than the high elfs who are already too close to a mary sue goody goody faction for my liking.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

According to what standard? The "protagonist" of the setting is Empire, which represents the basis is basically a better version of HRE lead by heroic and glorious Karl Franz, a hero of humankind. While Cathay has dragon aristocracy who have a lot of family issues. What you are trying to describe is the fact that Cathay, being practically a new entry to the Warhammer has less details. Bretonnia also had similar complaints people saying it's not grimdark when it first came out, after it was developed more it came more to itself. In the game all the negative aspects of indiscriminate witch hunts and what not of Empire are not represented either, it's something you learn from the background lore. Besides Empire also doesn't have serfdom or feudalism, in the game their grim darkness comes from the fact they are beset by enemies at all sides, fighting greenskins, beastmen, vampires and chaos all the time. Same is true of Cathay.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've really only read scanned PDFs from the old books, but aren't GW trying to be more "racially balanced" nowadays?

zapotec

Liturgist
It doesn't fit like the Bretonnia army didn't fit when it was released for the 5th edition of the tabletop game (Bretonnia was a very different beast before the first army book)

FreeKaner

I've really only read scanned PDFs from the old books, but aren't GW trying to be more "racially balanced" nowadays?

If you mean by "racially balanced" that they are no longer making distant peoples with racial caricatures then yes. According to some people anything less than this is basically appeasing China or being "woke":

chinese-pest.jpg

Tyrr

Liturgist

I'm not angry at China for bad lore in WH3. It's just another spineless western company licking China's boots.

The video made some good suggestions how they could implemented Cathay better into the setting. Like make the great bastion be maintained by human life's. Or a corrupt bureaucracy (Eunuchs) that really rules the empire.

FreeKaner

The grimdark aspects that Empire has are not represented in the game either, you don't have witch hunters randomly killing people or the general oppression wider public lives under represented. How are you going to represent an eunuch bureaucracy in the campaign? Why doesn't Empire have peasant uprisings in the game?

Again, Empire is lead by a super charismatic young emperor of the people who is brave, selfless and heroic. Cathay is lead by absentee emperor and empress, whose children have rivalry between them.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But racial caricatures can be fun? Also the caricaturizing seems to selectively be or not be a problem. Remember Russians in the Red Alert games? But now I guess games are sirus bizniss.

FreeKaner

But racial caricatures can be fun? Also the caricaturizing seems to selectively be or not be a problem. Remember Russians in the Red Alert games? But now I guess games are sirus bizniss.

Being retarded, illiterate and ignorant just lazily repeating same mainstream caricatures that has existed for 200 years, so brave and stunning.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I'm normally the first to shit on CA or any other dev and even I think you guys a bit overreacting with Cathay. I suppose the part of the problem is that most of the grimdark (and grimderp) lore came from 30 to 40 years ago and neither GW nor CA has people with the proper mindset left to recreate that kind of thing. Besides, all we knew about Cathay was that they are fantasy China and they might worship Tzeentch/Chen.

Olinser

Savant
I'm normally the first to shit on CA or any other dev and even I think you guys a bit overreacting with Cathay. I suppose the part of the problem is that most of the grimdark (and grimderp) lore came from 30 to 40 years ago and neither GW nor CA has people with the proper mindset left to recreate that kind of thing. Besides, all we knew about Cathay was that they are fantasy China and they might worship Tzeentch/Chen.

I dunno. End Times where literally Chaos wins, 99% of the characters die, and the world is destroyed, is pretty grimdark. And also a dumpster fire of lore, but pretty grimdark.

I only noticed one thing regarding Cathay: In the intro cinematic Miao Ying says "we are older than your gods" (which is not in the lore AFAIK so CA made that up) and thats why they shouldnt care about Ursun etc. and that to me kinda sounded like the old CHINA NUMBA WAN OLDEST CULTURE SUCK IT LONGNOSE you hear the CCP spout every so often.
Ingame, I love their unit designs and their artillery and range heavy armies, but their mechanics are the blandest, least interesting out of any faction I can remember. Actually no, that would be the Dwarves.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
They are "older than the Gods" because dragons are actually native to the Warhammer world and existed before the Old Ones and the polar gates.

They are "older than the Gods" because dragons are actually native to the Warhammer world and existed before the Old Ones and the polar gates.
Autism warning: Right, but the fact that the Cathayan rulers are actual dragons was only introduced by TW 3, wasnt it? I know he was called Dragon Emperor before, but I think it was just a title. He was definitely not immortal.

zapotec

Liturgist
Yes, i am pretty sure that one of the rumours introduced in the Warrior of Chaos army book for the 5th edition tabletop was that it was ruled by some Tzeentch's Lord of Change in the guise of the Dragon Emperor.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Being retarded, illiterate and ignorant just lazily repeating same mainstream caricatures that has existed for 200 years, so brave and stunning.
As I said, sirus bizniss. Can't allow base humor.

Tyrr

Liturgist
The grimdark aspects that Empire has are not represented in the game either, you don't have witch hunters randomly killing people or the general oppression wider public lives under represented. How are you going to represent an eunuch bureaucracy in the campaign? Why doesn't Empire have peasant uprisings in the game?
Have you played the Empire in WH2? It has a Imperial Authority and Fealty system. Karl isn't the absolute ruler over the Empire. Worst case a civil war can happen. Also Witch Hunters are in game and when you read lore texts you learn about the darker stuff.

https://totalwarwarhammer.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_Authority
https://totalwarwarhammer.fandom.com/wiki/Fealty

For the Eunuch bureaucracy, it doesn't had to be represented in the game (yet). The critique is more about the new lore created by CA, not about the game systems.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
So VH seems to be the same as Legendary but you are allowed to save.
The stat buffs are completely overtuned as usual, the first battle as Skrag against the dwarves took ages because their lord simply would. not. break.
And neither could my ogres actually hit him and finish him off.

Completely untested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom