Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

deuxhero

Arcane
I realized it hasn't been mentioned: The recent big Nintendo leak included several unreleased translations for Gameboy games. I can't link to them, but there's a list of which games leaked were duplicates of retail titles, new region releases, and new translations (If you got the dump with weird file names, they really are just .gb files under a different name)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...C0aST5t7M_JZegdOrbUyYc6_I/edit#gid=2112430196

Most of the new translations are non-English or crappy sports games, but ones I'm aware of

Chikyuu Kaihougun ZAS (As ZAS. Not that interesting since it's a autoscroller shooter with English menus already.)
Legend of the Sea King (Legend of the River King spinoff, actually the second game in its spinoff series. Actually got some advertisement in US despite getting canceled)
Little Master: Raikuban no Densetsu (As "Doomsayer: The Hero's Crusade". Already has a fan translation.)
Ninja Spirit (There's better ports of this and no meaningful text so meh)
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Robopon Star (Only Sun version was released in English. Menus are way smoother and text speed much faster, which indicates it was likely made after Sun was released in the west. Unfortunately not playable on most emulators right now due to Robopon using an obscure save type and RTC hardware that isn't getting auto-detected.)
Supershot Golf Robot (Falls under crappy sports games, I've actually played this one and it's pretty bad even by golf game standards. I mention this for the sheer absurdity of the US translation which changes it from a bog standard golf game to some plot about defeating robotic overlords with the power of golf. Also an European version as "Golf King" with English text and none of the other changes)
X (as Lunar Chase)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Gargoyle's Quest 2 already had a fan-translation

Edit: I checked, less of a complete retranslation and more of taking the NES translation and clearing up some leftover issues, so the official translation would still be interesting

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1794/

There also was a full retranslation of the original Gargoyle's Quest, which according to the translator should be an improvement over the original release as that was abreviated to hell (can't verify, played this ages ago, so who knows)

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4146/

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
seems byuu is still not dead and working on his Bahamut Lagoon translation

his attitude is adorable like always, the guy definitely is on some spectrum

edit: he deleted his tweets again

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
I wish the re-translation for Romancing Saga 2 and 3 continued. They quit when they officially got re-released, but I'd much rather have the original SNES version for the graphics.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I wish the re-translation for Romancing Saga 2 and 3 continued. They quit when they officially got re-released, but I'd much rather have the original SNES version for the graphics.

I have never understood that argument. IMO, it's a good thing to make as many versions of a game (and other media) accessible to as many languages as possible. That it somehow hinders sales of the games and the existence of future games/sequels in any way is as batshit crazy an argument as you can get. What's even worse is that any future attempts at translating these titles often get stigmatized and shunned by the community.

Bitches be crazy.

Twizman

Scholar
I much prefer the NES version. I'm sort of shocked the US version had a +40% exp and +20% money compared to the JP original. This hack reverts that - I found the base game too easy so this is a great job!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If it is the same exact game as the Wonderswan one, and it seems it is, then I really don't recommend it, everything is wrong about it, it's not even turn-based. The Chocobo Mystery Dungeon game on Wii is fun but it is a very different game.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://gbatemp.net/threads/phantas...y-english-localization-public-release.576943/

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity (re-release of Phantasy Star Portable 2 with improved gameplay and a large second story) has gotten a patch (only original release was released in English).

Any recomendations on what race to play?
It's not even race you have to consider, in PSP2i gender also factors into play. I haven't researched much but I think CASTs and Deumans are probably the highest "tier". And likely Female because they get more mana (PP) regen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom