Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Modron

Arcane
visual novels without gameplay
Why would you do this to yourself? Just go read a book or a comic instead.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
visual novels without gameplay
Why would you do this to yourself? Just go read a book or a comic instead.
I do all 3 actually, though lately I've been more into reading manga. Currently reading Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
The last VN I've read was The House in Fata Morgana, which was mostly just romance stuff

I think a big draw of VNs compared to light novels or books is the music. The soundtrack of Fata Morgana is fantastic (68 tracks).

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Currently reading Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
How is it?
The art is incredible, every page has so much detail and text it takes a long time to read. The chocobos in Final Fantasy were inspired by the horseclaws in that manga.

nausicaa-lord-yupa.png

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
You can spam shots at the enemies when they're approaching you, before the actual encounter begins. I think the intent was that you could only get one shot off for each tile they move forward, but in practice it's more than that, and frequently the enemies die before reaching you. You can equip bows as secondary weapons on most classes, so it's not a real commitment to the archer lifestyle.

Unless you've discovered some game bug the enemies always move 1 tile per shot you take, and shots you take have always been weak as hell as I remember it. And enemies don't just walk forward, they attack at the same time.

It's true that bow attacks are only 1 shot per "turn" per character, but in MM3 there is a glitch that doubles your shots per turn if you keep the S button pressed. It's definitely an unintended glitch because using the mouse click doesn't do that, and they completely fixed it in Xeen, so I don't abuse the glitch.
And yeah, obviously it's pointless to use bows if the enemies have a strong ranged attacks, better to just charge forward then. This is true for all games with bows and magic that have a movement phase.

With that said, heroism and holy bonus both work wonders at boosting Bow accuracy and damage, respectively. I tested it, they make a huge difference, just as they do on melee physical attacks.
Especially holy bonus. Every cleric level is 1 more damage per bow shot.

In the M&M thread I said i downgraded all obsidian weapons to diamond, and diamond to sapphire, using a save game editor, to make the game harder for physical attackers. Well, I don't do that to bows, so Obsidian bows are the only obsidian weapons I keep around.

Wesp5

Arcane
I purchased both Rage games.
I loved the first Rage game! Great characters still better than anything Unreal can deliver today, beautiful graphics, vehicle combat, a kind of quest system and all of it combined with the usual id shooter combat. The problem was that my system couldn't handle it at the time which is probably what made the game fail! For once John Carmack didn't optimize enough for the concurrent hardware. It's a shame it never got the sequel it needed, Rage 2 was completely different and basically just mediocre open-world rubbish...

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I loved the first Rage game! Great characters still better than anything Unreal can deliver today, beautiful graphics, vehicle combat, a kind of quest system and all of it combined with the usual id shooter combat. The problem was that my system couldn't handle it at the time which is probably what made the game fail! For once John Carmack didn't optimize enough for the concurrent hardware. It's a shame it never got the sequel it needed, Rage 2 was completely different and basically just mediocre open-world rubbish...
Rage 1 was fun. We need more boomerangs in FPS games.

Rage 2 has a guy wearing a butt plug on a leash being walked by another guy with heavy sexual overtones. The gameplay has improved but the content was so revolting I didn't want to play any further. It wasn't even funny-GTA gross. It was Twitter artist gross.

Wesp5

Arcane
Rage 1 was fun. We need more boomerangs in FPS games.
Yeah, that weapon was really great! I didn't have more fun since Klingon Honor Guard who had something simular :).

Cancer

Literate
D&D is still holding Western RPGs back. Games should explore new ideas and locations, not endlessly rehash what was a poorly conceived setting to begin with. The sooner we get rid of D&Ds limp class system and childish alignment system, the better.

"Leveling" is a lazy game mechanic that is primarily designed to trigger dopamine. Levels shouldn't exist. Only skills and attributes should increase, and of course only by using them, not by the equally lazy "XP" mechanic.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
D&D is still holding Western RPGs back. Games should explore new ideas and locations, not endlessly rehash what was a poorly conceived setting to begin with. The sooner we get rid of D&Ds limp class system and childish alignment system, the better.

"Leveling" is a lazy game mechanic that is primarily designed to trigger dopamine. Levels shouldn't exist. Only skills and attributes should increase, and of course only by using them, not by the equally lazy "XP" mechanic.
Happy that new blood keeps carrying the torch :incline:

orcinator

Liturgist

"Leveling" is a lazy game mechanic that is primarily designed to trigger dopamine. Levels shouldn't exist. Only skills and attributes should increase
:takemymoney:
Only skills and attributes should increase, and of course only by using them, not by the equally lazy "XP" mechanic.
:keepmymoney:

TedNugent

Arcane

Yet we live in a world where D&D is probably one of the more sophisticated CRPG systems that you see still being made...

At least you know what you're gonna get with D&D and the various spinoffs.

It's funny, when people look back with rose tinted glasses at the golden era of RPGs and so many of them are D&D based (NWN, MOTB, IWD, BG, PS:T, ToEE).

On the other end of the spectrum, we have the diarrhea of modern MMORPGs, and shit like Larian Studios, Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc. My simple fear is that if you ripped the bandaid off on D&D, you'd get something that would be similar to modern button mash ARPGs in its place. At least with D&D, some studios and tabletop designers still have the annoyance of the wrong things that D&D does as the impetus to make minor improvements, or better yet, design their own systems.

Only skills and attributes should increase, and of course only by using them, not by the equally lazy "XP" mechanic.
Oh, yes, if only we had such a wonderful....

latest

:what:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The TES system still uses XP. Each skill tracks its own XP and then levels up when it crosses a threshold. The game just doesn't tell you how much XP you're earning whenever you perform an action (can you imagine how obnoxious that would be, especially for Athletics?).

Caim

Arcane
The TES system still uses XP. Each skill tracks its own XP and then levels up when it crosses a threshold. The game just doesn't tell you how much XP you're earning whenever you perform an action (can you imagine how obnoxious that would be, especially for Athletics?).
"+1 Athletics XP" scrolling from the bottom to the top of the screen like the Star Wars opening on crack.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Only cookie clickers require less intelligence to play than CRPGs.

Itoh

Literate
An RPG is a game in which the player is offered multiple means of overcoming challenges, and must build a character or character in a way which favors certain methods over others. The key element is specialization - any point spent in a certain stat/skill locks you out of spending it on something else, so the player cannot access the full toolset in a single playthrough. So a game like Dark Souls(where it's effectively impossible to max every stat) is an RPG; a game like Bloodstained isn't despite having stats and levels. A narrative-heavy game like Disco Elysium is still an RPG, while a typical visual novel is not, unless your plot choices are somehow restricted by character builds.

(Incidentally, this is also why respec is the worst cancer to ever afflict the genre)

NotSweeper

Educated

Happy that new blood keeps carrying the torch :incline:
Ban all newfags.
And before you start, I'm well aware. I'm perfectly happy to burn so long as they burn alongside me.

Caim

Arcane
An RPG is a game in which the player is offered multiple means of overcoming challenges, and must build a character or character in a way which favors certain methods over others. The key element is specialization - any point spent in a certain stat/skill locks you out of spending it on something else, so the player cannot access the full toolset in a single playthrough. So a game like Dark Souls(where it's effectively impossible to max every stat) is an RPG; a game like Bloodstained isn't despite having stats and levels. A narrative-heavy game like Disco Elysium is still an RPG, while a typical visual novel is not, unless your plot choices are somehow restricted by character builds.

(Incidentally, this is also why respec is the worst cancer to ever afflict the genre)
An RPG where numerical growth is required to beat the game and the player gets to direct this growth in order to progress.

Kiste

Augur

:retarded:

Right. Swinging at the enemy and seeing skill numbers go up. Sneaking around town like a paedo to get Sneak up to useful levels. Bunnyhop around the place like a retard to get Athletics up. Stand in the corner and cast spells over and over to get the corresponding skill up.

Riveting gameplay. If you're an Oblivion-era Bethestard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom