Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
D&D is still holding Western RPGs back. Games should explore new ideas and locations, not endlessly rehash what was a poorly conceived setting to begin with. The sooner we get rid of D&Ds limp class system and childish alignment system, the better.

"Leveling" is a lazy game mechanic that is primarily designed to trigger dopamine. Levels shouldn't exist. Only skills and attributes should increase, and of course only by using them, not by the equally lazy "XP" mechanic.

D&D is still holding Western RPGs back. Games should explore new ideas and locations, not endlessly rehash what was a poorly conceived setting to begin with. The sooner we get rid of D&Ds limp class system and childish alignment system, the better.

"Leveling" is a lazy game mechanic that is primarily designed to trigger dopamine. Levels shouldn't exist. Only skills and attributes should increase, and of course only by using them, not by the equally lazy "XP" mechanic.
Happy that new blood keeps carrying the torch :incline:
Ban all newfags.
And before you start, I'm well aware. I'm perfectly happy to burn so long as they burn alongside me.

Enchanté.

Immersion > Dice

*drops mic*
I've been a long time DnD hater. Let DnD stay on the tabletop where it belongs. Why should PC RPGs be held back by the limitations of dummies larping with their loser friends? Thank god for ARPGs at least. Baldur's Gate 3 and the series in general are a sin and a stain and a strangulating influence on PC RPGs.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Axioms is the RPG the Codex has been waiting for, and it will win RPGCodex GotY in 2024 or 2025.

Dynamic living world, maximum choice and consequence, no graphical frills, can go full combat or no combat character, technically can be a party based RPG, turn based world *and* combat, and it is even unwoke, although that wasn't a design consideration.

Okay, let the rage and denial flow. But I'm right.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The Steller Blade model should have used a British woman or one recommended by Sweet Baby Inc. I mean just look at these buxom, voluptuous, and totally unrealistically curvy body proportions on this RL woman:

Giving hetro men of the world the impression that there are beautiful women out there.

British women CAN have good bodies. Their faces, otoh, are the problem. Also in what universe is the girl above "voluptuous"? She is ok though.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Serus That was part of the trolling. In the sense that everything is so soy these days, that this is what passes for voluptuous. When in my day it was Sophia Vergara & Salma Hayek.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The Steller Blade model should have used a British woman or one recommended by Sweet Baby Inc. I mean just look at these buxom, voluptuous, and totally unrealistically curvy body proportions on this RL woman:

Giving hetro men of the world the impression that there are beautiful women out there.

She's bald.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Just finished Planescape Torment because of the influence of seeing being praised so hard on the Codex.

It´s boring and the RPG is almost non existent.

Your nostalgia vs the reality.
In fairness, Planescape: Torment was hindered by its utilization of Bioware's execrable Infinity Engine, doomed to have terrible combat and poor exploration. :M

notpl

Arbiter
Chris Avellone's sophomoric philosophical logorrhea is in all ways inferior to simple, functional a to b adventure writing, like you see in something like baldur's gate 1 for example.

D&D 4th edition was a masterwork of design and it's criminal we never got any cRPGs based around it.

Lemming42

Arcane
Chris Avellone's sophomoric philosophical logorrhea is in all ways inferior to simple, functional a to b adventure writing, like you see in something like baldur's gate 1 for example.
Was ready to agree with this until you cited BG1 as an example of functional adventure writing. Something about the writing in every BioWare game drives me insane.

Saldrone

Novice
Among the 8 types of magic schools, Transmutation is the most interesting due to the manipulation of physics and matter itself; Necromancy is overrated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom