Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
planescape torment is massively overrated boomercore,
Is it overrated though? PS:T is liked because of its writing. The only other game that can rival PS:T in that arena is Disco Elysium.
everyone hates multiverses now because it's just anything can happen post modernism, yet somehow pst is the best rpg of all time, I'm not so sure about that

I played for probably 5 hours and I couldn't find a compelling choice or consequence, since then I have played many crpgs and beaten them but at the time I wasn't impressed or really amused
Lol, I was like "okay, I'm like 10 hours in; surely the *real game* will soon start".

20 hours later...

Nah, this "best RPG of all time" doesn't get any better. I think I stopped after the alley that gave birth or something, after I got Morte back. Well, I liked Morte, he was the best part, actually. At least the guy was economical with words.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Play Wizardry 6 and 7.
A Wizardry game is definitely on my backlog in regards to some of the older classics I haven't played, imaginative quests/puzzles or not. Though I've thought about going with Wizardry 8 first in the past, before I got sidetracked by something. From what little I know of Wizardry 8, it is also lauded for its quest design yeah? Total neophyte to blobbers myself, also heard good shit about Grimoire's design in that regard, but I'll most likely play one of the direct inspirations of it first.
Wizardry 8 is trash IMO. Wizards & Warriors and Grimoire are much better spiritual follow-ups to Wizardry 7.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
jrpg, shin megami tensu v vengeance, 300 possible party members

colostomy shit, balljerk gay 1, 2 and 3, shillers of recturnity 1 and 2, assfinder shitmaker and wrath of the whiteness, brainscrape torment, arcanalm combined 100 possible party members

monster taming rpgs are just superior to basically everything

siralim 3 got 600 hours out of me, I can only get 250-300 hours out of a crpg typically, accept it, accept it

Hell Swarm

Learned

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
my favourite genre. I wish there were more people interested in discussing them.
but you did discuss them Halfling Rodeo

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-with-the-best-monster-raising-mechanics.149311/

Why did you ever make a new account? Maybe because you lost your shit and insulted the staff?
I changed the password of my old account to leave the site forever.. No wait that was you Bethestard.
Can you explain to me how the Beta mind works? Why did you feel the need to run and hide your identity?

I'm on to you nigger, you can't run and you can't hide. I'll sniff you out no matter how many alts you make.

You're in for world of hurt, or should I say, a world of Vic.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Can you explain to me how the Beta mind works? Why did you feel the need to run and hide your identity?

I'm on to you nigger, you can't run and you can't hide. I'll sniff you out no matter how many alts you make.

Weak copypasta, try again.

Hell Swarm

Learned
my favourite genre. I wish there were more people interested in discussing them.
but you did discuss them Halfling Rodeo

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-with-the-best-monster-raising-mechanics.149311/

Why did you ever make a new account? Maybe because you lost your shit and insulted the staff?
I changed the password of my old account to leave the site forever.. No wait that was you Bethestard.

You should check the join dates. Can't be an alt of an account made later Bethestard. I can't explain how your mind works since I'm not a beta like you.

Now for something on topic.

I enjoy playing games with a controller more than mouse and keyboard.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
quest markers are based, relying on a game developer to make a game intuitive and completable is just asking for problems, there are infinite examples of this

quest markers just show the player where the content is, by being as obtuse as possible, gating off the end of the game with obscure puzzles that you need a game magazine to solve, that's pure autism

this is also a part of muh game is hard so it's good, having to delve into the mind of a game dev is frightening especially in the current age

also games generally shouldn't feel like work, like taking notes to play a game, most of the time is stupid, there is a reason I'm playing a game and not studying mechanics or actually useful things

also, especially in bethesgenre games, you have 20 sidequests and it is impossible to remember all of them, marking one at a time with a quest marker isn't bad at all

also games generally shouldn't feel like work, like taking notes to play a game, most of the time is stupid, there is a reason I'm playing a game and not studying mechanics or actually useful things
On the contrary, quest markers make games feel like a work. It feels like you're absolutely obliged to follow the fucking quest arrow instead of just playing.
Adding quest markers is the best way to transform an RPG into an abomination, where the player just runs around marked points on the map, doing quests like "kill 10 bears and collect their asses".

Hell Swarm

Learned
On the contrary, quest markers make games feel like a work. It feels like you're absolutely obliged to follow the fucking quest arrow instead of just playing.
Adding quest markers is the best way to transform an RPG into an abomination, where the player just runs around marked points on the map, doing quests like "kill 10 bears and collect their asses".
Depends on the quest markers. If your quest is "John the bard told you to find bumblefuck the village of dung men, he has marked it on your map!" a quest marker is fine. If it's "Kill 5 wolves" then it isn't. Quest markers should be used for when you've been given exact information and mostly for the main quest to help struggling players. They can even have the npc have 2 dialog options when giving it "Yes, give me the map" or "No, I'll find it myself". Then you pick and choose which quests get markers and don't.

There's no wrong tools, only wrong ways to use tools.

Depends on the quest markers. If your quest is "John the bard told you to find bumblefuck the village of dung men, he has marked it on your map!" a quest marker is fine. If it's "Kill 5 wolves" then it isn't. Quest markers should be used for when you've been given exact information and mostly for the main quest to help struggling players. They can even have the npc have 2 dialog options when giving it "Yes, give me the map" or "No, I'll find it myself". Then you pick and choose which quests get markers and don't.

There's no wrong tools, only wrong ways to use tools.
Yeah, but there's a huge difference between "I'll mark the village of dung men on your map" (markers like these were in Morrowind and Gothic, for example), and "Here's the huge arrow above the head of your character - it shows the exact location of not only the village, but also of the specific NPC and follows him like it's controlled by a goddamn GPS".
Thee first approach is completely fine - it really helps player. The second transform quest into a chore, where you should just follow the arrow, press a button, then teleport back to the questgiver.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I like both Turn Based and Real Time with Pause.
So gather your torches and pitchforks, peasants, and come at me. But preferably in turn, since that makes it easier.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
Bro the only way to advance the main quest is to crouch by a wall for 7.3 seconds

That is actually how some game devs do things

You could never beat the game without this obscure knowledge, which seems like pure luck

Killing bears is an important community service and it matters where you kill them, and for whomst

Last edited:

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
I'm currently playing expeditions vikings, my starting village is full of brown wooden shacks, that all look basically identical

every npc is a white person with brown or black clothing on generally

despite the village being small, I still did a lap of it before I found an npc

this is especially a problem in isometric games where everything looks similar for style reasons, there are no signposts telling me where maria skalegnegjre's house is

but the quest marker did, it had a big beautiful yellow arrow that told me exactly where to go

it was completely optional to turn the quest arrow on in the quest tab

also my character grew up in this small village for over 20 years and he doesn't know where his childhood friend's house is, I have to go around like an amnesiac half tard knocking on doors asking for directions, not with quest markers, it's smooth

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
quest markers are based, relying on a game developer to make a game intuitive and completable is just asking for problems, there are infinite examples of this

quest markers just show the player where the content is, by being as obtuse as possible, gating off the end of the game with obscure puzzles that you need a game magazine to solve, that's pure autism

this is also a part of muh game is hard so it's good, having to delve into the mind of a game dev is frightening especially in the current age

also, especially in bethesgenre games, you have 20 sidequests and it is impossible to remember all of them, marking one at a time with a quest marker isn't bad at all
Quest list are useful is the game is not a RPG but just day-to-day work and you are the employee.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
Compared to adventure games, most RPGs don't need much thinking and problem solving skills.
Puzzles required for exploration test the player's critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.

OWKrbeM.png
D9WOkSe.png

wkESDH5.png
6JxKjs2.png
why can't they just walk on the ledge between the holes

Tihskael

Learned
planescape torment is massively overrated boomercore,
Is it overrated though? PS:T is liked because of its writing. The only other game that can rival PS:T in that arena is Disco Elysium.
everyone hates multiverses now because it's just anything can happen post modernism, yet somehow pst is the best rpg of all time, I'm not so sure about that

I played for probably 5 hours and I couldn't find a compelling choice or consequence, since then I have played many crpgs and beaten them but at the time I wasn't impressed or really amused
Lol, I was like "okay, I'm like 10 hours in; surely the *real game* will soon start".

20 hours later...

Nah, this "best RPG of all time" doesn't get any better. I think I stopped after the alley that gave birth or something, after I got Morte back. Well, I liked Morte, he was the best part, actually. At least the guy was economical with words.
I think I left the game around the same point too. Not my cup of tea I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom