Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny GDC 2016 Previews

Trashos

Arcane
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

I'm not saying no games should be like that, they can be quite fun, just saying after a couple of decades of it I would enjoy a good old old fashioned clearly defined good vs evil in my fantasy.

I have never seen any good vs evil story that was not painfully idiotic.

Shin

Cipher
ANY PICTURES AND / OR VIDEOS?

RldSAMr.jpg

V_K

Arcane
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

I'm not saying no games should be like that, they can be quite fun, just saying after a couple of decades of it I would enjoy a good old old fashioned clearly defined good vs evil in my fantasy.

Have you seen any "gray morality" story in games that wasn't painfully idiotic?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Obsidian offered a gameplay demonstration set in a conquered village called Plainsgate - although it might also be rent in half and given the name "Halfgate" depending on one's character creation choices
:timcain:

It's got potential. I wonder if those "combo" moves are inspired by MCA's love of Chrono Trigger.

Perkel

Arcane
My kind of game. Happy !

Thoug i completely expect "evil" being downplayed because public won't like it.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

PoE was not bad overall, both for some side quests and the grand scheme of things. You need to get into it though to care about anything gray. If you just breeze through text, you'll miss it and don't give a fuck.

As for Good vs Evil, it's fucked usually because they forget that it's the OTHER axis that's actually important: Order vs Chaos. That's the one that defines everything meaningful.
Good and Evil are just a matter of perspective usually based on slight variations of the value of life of various creatures. Human find Orcs evil for killing humans, Elves find Human evil for cutting trees, etc...Nobody gives a fuck really but it's simple to understand for morons and handy in a combat focused game.
Order vs Chaos (Law vs Self, etc) is deeply philosophical and completely opposed. This is the real shit that makes or break stories, characters, entire nations. Sadly, it seems that 99% of games out there just force the player to be Chaotic by default (kill and loot everything, no respect for laws which are usually not even bothered to be explained anywhere anyway, exacerbated self and ego of the protagonist, no fuck given for society as a whole whatsoever). Even when you're the law, you don't even get the fucking book with the laws in them so you can do your job and instead are forced to be the law by yourself, usually for yourself. Shit, last time I was the law properly in a game was in Police Quest I think.

That's why these "good vs evil" stories are usually completely idiotic and will continue to be...

Doktor Best

Arcane

Planescape Torment, Witcher series, Shadowrun series, Gothic series, Geneforce series, Fallout New Vegas, Vampire Bloodlines. Any rpg with plausible conflicts between interesting factions automatically plays with the conventions of classic fantasy and their singular approach on the morality theme.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmmm I have to admit the original announcement left me completely unimpressed, but having read those new details...color me interested, this could turn out to be good.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Golem has an intriguing revelation:

Die Entwickler zeigen das anhand einer Quest, in der es um die Befreiung eines sogenannten Beastman geht - das ist ein Wesen, das halb Mensch, halb Monster ist, früher mal als Sklave ausgebeutet wurde und jetzt zurückgezogen in einer Felswüste namens Planescape lebt.

Die Felswüste Planescape etwa kann zum Teil in einem Abgrund versinken und bekommt dann wegen des entsprechend geformten Zugangstores den Namen Halfgate.

http://www.golem.de/news/tyranny-boese-in-brutaler-fantasywelt-1603-119926.html

The other sites call it "Plainsgate", so I'm not sure whom to believe here.

In unserer Demo besuchen wir den Ort Plainsgate, der von dem Scarlet Corps besetzt ist.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Tyranny-Spiel-56836/Specials/Vorschau-GDC-1190056/

Scarlet Corps or Scarlet Chorus?

Tigranes

Arcane
Tyranny takes place during a time when the world's Bronze Age is ending and its Iron Age is just beginning.

Fuck me, we finally get a late Bronze Age based RPG setting. Hopefully they actually play this up a lot, the single shot of human settlement we see is pretty nice whereas some of the environment shots are decidedly meh.

Told you guys it's a Judge Dredd-y situation, instead of being Sauron himself. It'll be interesting to see which factions represent which approaches to the evil-won world, and that will determine the success of the conceit.

As for gameplay we're really going to need more details. Will the companion combos/etc be as cool as the stuff D:OS had, allowing more wacky abilities? What kind of leveling/feats/etc are we going to have?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More info from the German previews:

"So gelingen Euch mächtige Kampf-Intros, kernige Aktionen während des Gefechts und eventuell sogar ein Finishing Move", erklärt Heins.

"Wir wollen vermeiden, dass ihr euch aus jedem Kampf herausredet und dann mit eher niedrigerer Charakterstufe vor dem Endgegner steht - und dann keine Chance habt, ihn zu besiegen", sagt Brian Heins.

"Beim Stufenaufstieg verbessern sich eure Attribute", so Heins. "Außerdem könnt ihr neue Fähigkeiten wie den Schildstoß kaufen."

Ein Zauberer in schwerer Plattenrüstung? Kein Problem.

"Doch keine Angst, wir bieten euch mehr als nur das Gefühl von permanenter Unterdrückung - in 'Tyranny' ist auch Platz für Humor und Liebe."

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Tyranny-Spiel-56836/Specials/Vorschau-GDC-1190056/

So:

- there are finishing moves in combat
- the game gives xp for nonviolent solutions "to make sure that you don't meet the final boss at a low level and have no chance of defeating him."
- on level up, you get attribute increases and the opportunity to buy abilities like Shield Bash
- you can still play a spellcaster in heavy armor, like in PoE
- there is "room for humor and love" in Tyranny

Told you guys it's a Judge Dredd-y situation, instead of being Sauron himself.

"Ihr startet das Spiel als ein Fate Binder, der auf der Seite der siegreichen bösen Armee steht", erklärt uns Brian Heins. "So wie Judge Dredd seid ihr Richter und Vollstrecker in einer Person."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how long before they show this Plainsgate footage to the rest of us.

Mortmal

Arcane
20 hours gameplay, its nearly nothing, we will spend more time posting about it than playing it ,by release date.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
20 hours gameplay, its nearly nothing, we will spend more time posting about it than playing it ,by release date.

Thankfully, you'll have plenty of Fallout 4 DLC to enjoy this year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom