Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny GDC 2016 Previews

I believe it does, depending on how many 'layers' the pre-rendered background has and therefore how much data it has to load. I think it's something the designers working on PoE talked about at some point.
Yes they also said they will improve loading times with future releases. I do think Torment already loads faster but we don't have so much game data right now.

Fairfax

Arcane
Haha, surely the real reason why Torment should come out first is that it's had eight months more of development time.
Eh...did you forget TTON was still in pre-production by late 2014?

My money is on Torment. Early Access is selling so poorly I think Fargo will rush it really hard to cut their losses.
The price is too high. I think that Torment will release somewhere in December. In this state it's still in Alpha.
Tyranny could be done by the end of summer.
Maybe, but that's 5 months from now tops. Tyranny still has no gameplay video, UI pics or more details on its mechanics. Unless they're just keeping their cards close to the chest until they're 90% done, of course.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
i am so excited about this game! I really like that we will have another CRPG before PoE2 with the same engine. Hope the loading is faster (maybe this is why we have different backgrounds quality).
Uh it's all pre-rendered so it doesn't matter.
I believe it does, depending on how many 'layers' the pre-rendered background has and therefore how much data it has to load. I think it's something the designers working on PoE talked about at some point.
The layers are for things like lighting and such, this will probably have the same.

It might have more dynamic backgrounds like TToN does. They wanted it on PoE but had no time.

In last year's retrospective panel at PAX, Adam Brennecke said Obsidian had plans for massive reduction of load times that could only be implemented in a sequel, as well as things like "sub-areas" that don't require loading and other features: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10051

It'll be interesting to see if/how many of these are already implemented in Tyranny.
Well I hope they do keep perfecting this tech and collaborate with InXile because it does make great looking games when its not being butchered by questionable art direction.

Eh...did you forget TTON was still in pre-production by late 2014?

Maybe, but that's 5 months from now tops. Tyranny still has no gameplay video, UI pics or more details on its mechanics. Unless they're just keeping their cards close to the chest until they're 90% done, of course.
on steam we have "Coming soon". BG SOD had this before and now it's releasing this month. I do think they are holding gameplay videos from us.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The setting is Mediterranean-inspired
:nocountryforshitposters:
Wait till you see this:
it is set more in a bronze and iron age era.
:lol: that's your typical fantasy videogame player.

Sounds Better than PoE, which isn't much anyways.
Oh, given that I haven't preordered this (like I did PoE), it sounds great to me so far.
:thumbsup:

Order vs Chaos (Law vs Self, etc) is deeply philosophical and completely opposed. This is the real shit that makes or break stories, characters, entire nations. Sadly, it seems that 99% of games out there just force the player to be Chaotic by default (kill and loot everything, no respect for laws which are usually not even bothered to be explained anywhere anyway, exacerbated self and ego of the protagonist, no fuck given for society as a whole whatsoever).
Now that you mention this, in LotR the forces of good were fighting for chaos (represented by an idyllic merry old england society) and against order (technology, science, and political centralization) weren't they? ;)

Shitty RTwP combat and Skyrim-like skill progression??
Yeah, the living manifestation of "incline", isn't it?

Now that I've read these previews, I suspect PoE's whole ruleset and "engine" were designed from the ground up with the idea that along with powering the "spiritual successor of ur grandma's pants, yadda-yadda" it should also fit a certain other project, which is a classless RPG, and of which you know nothing about. And the thought infuriates me. I'm beginning to see why I felt like I had paid for a different game, the first time I played PoE.

Regarding Tyranny, I still think it's too early to say how good of an RPG it will be, but from the videogame perspective, I count at least two deal-brakers:
- PoE's clusterfuck of a combat system? Gtfo!
- The "companion combos" shit sounds like just the tip of The Iceberg Of Popamole.

I still hope for good news regarding the C&C and story/setting, but that's the kind of info they'll release much later, I guess.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
20 hours is not a bad thing. What`s the point of 20+ gameplay if you have to grind, kill trash mobs etc. Also single playthrough of AOD is a way shorter.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Depends on how much they charge for it. I wonder about the reception from mainstream public, people associate RPG with 50h+ grindan adventures.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that I've read these previews, I suspect PoE's whole ruleset and "engine" were designed from the ground up with the idea that along with powering the "spiritual successor of ur grandma's pants, yadda-yadda" it should also fit a certain other project, which is a classless RPG, and of which you know nothing about. And the thought infuriates me. I'm beginning to see why I felt like I had paid for a different game, the first time I played PoE.

:o The Tyrannyspiracy! Let's ask badler and Anthony Davis about this.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In a mainstream CRPG like this? Weeks of work on a scenario that only a handful of players will see...

That's the reason for the short playtime, isn't it? More replaying, more players see it.

It's hard to believe that the game will be as stocked with C&C as AoD is, but I guess they're striving for that ideal. It'll be interesting to compare the game with Torment in this area.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
In a mainstream CRPG like this? Weeks of work on a scenario that only a handful of players will see...

That's the reason for the short playtime, isn't it? More replaying, more players see it.
Going by steam stats most players don't even finish CRPGs the first time around. I'm not complaining but I think this is an experiment with an obvious conclusion.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The character system is classless with improve-by-use progression, although there are still experience points and levels.

Actually, there could be a positive side to this, because they promised there will be non-combat options and you could get the same experience by using non-combat skills. It would be cool if you could also complete the game without combat at all, but something tells me it won't be possible...

Tao

Savant
Classless may work with a single character player, i think is pointless in a party rpg where the group must cover the others weakness. I dunno how they going to do it but i dont have a good feeling about it. In the end you would focus to have the same old classes to cover the habitual situations (rouge, mage, warrior, healer)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
All your characters will be combat powerhouses with anime powers so not sure it matters if classes or not. Just more room for minmaxin your dudes, like with DOS.

Small parties fucking suck but again not sure it matters.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Going by steam stats most players don't even finish CRPGs the first time around. I'm not complaining but I think this is an experiment with an obvious conclusion.

There's a Mass Effect fan group where the members have finished the trilogy at least six times each.

Trashos

Arcane
Classes are really cool in the way they may synergize. If you can't be arsed to make them synergize meaningfully, then yes, they lose some of their appeal.

See how Rogues synergize beautifully with other classes in PoE. Also see how no other class synergizes with anyone else in the same game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

There's a Mass Effect fan group where the members have finished the trilogy at least six times each.
To romance everyone.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
  • The game uses the Pillars of Eternity engine and is RTwP.

Leeeeeeeeeeeeel.

Nah, I'll pass, thanks.

It's gonna be mega fucking shit.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Some codexers about AoD: the playtroughs are too small, replayability is overrated; this game is a CYOA, not a cRPG.

Same codexers about T:ToN: the playtroughs are small and the emphasis is on replayability. That is great! Finally we have developers that can deliver what we want. Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb are geniuses, wow!

Same codexers about Tyranny: the game is focused on replayability in a CYOA style. Huehuehuehueheuheuheu Obsidian delivers. GOTY!

It’s all about pedigree, folks!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Jokes aside, I’m positively surprised about this information. I will pay attention, even with the shitty RTwP system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom