Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #43: Release Date - December 21st

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If only the CYOA was a similar price to Underrail. Only thing worth buying at almost 30 euro was Witcher 3. :smug:

1787083-witcher_deal_with_it.png

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
so looking forward to this. I have not played it at all yet. I don't like playing early release, but in this case I really want to. Can anybody tell me if they thought I would pretty much get the same experience as if I waited until the 21st to start my play? Just for information I play games very slowly in general and take my time. I am guessing if I played this game starting Dec. 21st it would take me 3-6 months to finish. For instance it took me about that long to complete icewind dale, and baldurs gate type games. Basically I guess I am asking if the first 1/3 of the game is basically finished and will not change. If that is the case I would feel pretty good about just buying it now and starting..

Thanks for any input...

I'd wait, since part of the delay has been due to re-texturing early areas. And it's not too far away now.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
so looking forward to this. I have not played it at all yet. I don't like playing early release, but in this case I really want to. Can anybody tell me if they thought I would pretty much get the same experience as if I waited until the 21st to start my play? Just for information I play games very slowly in general and take my time. I am guessing if I played this game starting Dec. 21st it would take me 3-6 months to finish. For instance it took me about that long to complete icewind dale, and baldurs gate type games. Basically I guess I am asking if the first 1/3 of the game is basically finished and will not change. If that is the case I would feel pretty good about just buying it now and starting..

Thanks for any input...

I'd wait, since part of the delay has been due to re-texturing early areas. And it's not too far away now.

You should definitely wait. As Twinkie said we did a lot of graphical updating of the old areas, but also improved them in other ways.
Also, alpha save game will not be compatible with the full version

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I my tearful enthusiasm I didn't check whether it runs under Wine. It's currently downloading so a test is imminent, but I don't want to be playing PoE again this Christmas.

Edit: Noooooo!!! :negative::argh:

Edit2: Hey, got it running! winetricks dotnet40 FTW.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Congrats on upcoming release! :salute:

Now, some of you fuckers need to sell me on this game. I underststand the game's focus is more exploration\combat. And I love me some exploration, and likewise for combat!
BUT, from what I remember, FO1+2's combat was, well, very meh. Not tactical at all. Get a fair shootin' skill, spam eyeshots. Throw grenades at robots.

I almost preferred to treat them as PnC adventures rather than RPGs.

Is there any thing Underrail offers that makes the combat better?

Last edited:

Thanks for any input...

You should definitely wait. As Twinkie said we did a lot of graphical updating of the old areas, but also improved them in other ways.
Also, alpha save game will not be compatible with the full version
ah, good to know. Thanks for answering my question-- guess I will wait.

I was not expecting this until spring, so this is a great surprise. This game and battlebrothers are my two most anticipated games at the moment. Congratulations on the release! The game looks awesome from what I can tell, can't wait to start playing.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Congrats on upcoming release! :salute:

Now, some of you fuckers need to sell me on this game. I underststand the game's focus is more exploration\combat. And I love me some exploration, and likewise for combat!
BUT, from what I remember, FO1+2's combat was, well, very meh. Not tactical at all. Get a fair shootin' skill, spam eyeshots. Throw grenades at robots.

I almost preferred to treat them as PnC adventures rather than RPGs.

Is there any thing Underrail offers that makes the combat better?

My biased opinion.

Combat in this game far surpasses that of Fallout and (in my opinon) rivals and surpasses that of D:OS(And obviously WL2). So take that as you will.

Combat is complex, fun and engaging, even when you've been playing for like 40-50 hours. Exploration is interesting and keep you engaged into the world and setting.

Obviously the game doesn't feature PS:T levels of writing, story and C&C, but it does have it fair share of fucking awesome stuff, and the overall story fits with the world.

At 8 euros or whatever, you should really buy this game. Even if you end up not liking it as much as we do, it's a fucking steal at that price, hell, even 30 euro or 50 euro would be a fucking bargain.

I even find all this incredibly ironic, seeing as I was definitely not interested in this game, only some 6-7 months ago. Thought it looked mediocre, and the whole idea didn't blow me away. Until I tried it, and got sucked into it. 60 hours of EA later, shit is some of the best we've had in years.

Last edited by a moderator:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not buying this...

...because I already have it. :D

I did promise to buy it for someone as a gift, though, so I let me take a look at those wishlists...

Edit: Since I do not have Tim Cain on my friend list, I bought it for Matt Barton (sorry J_C, not you).

Last edited:

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Stopped playing in May after getting to the big city, waiting for a full release.
Wasn't expecting this year (and still have my doubts :p ) but it'll be GOTY whichever year it comes out.
From what I've seen so far, I'd probably rank it in top 5 RPG's ever.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone played it recently? Has the memory leak been fixed?
(Please do not let this question dissuade you from buying this an excellent RPG; it was the only real 'problem' I had with the game. Never cost me any progression and only meant having to quit and relaunch the game every X hours; which takes less than half a minute.)

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Anyone played it recently? Has the memory leak been fixed?
(Please do not let this question dissuade you from buying this an excellent RPG; it was the only real 'problem' I had with the game. Never cost me any progression and only meant having to quit and relaunch the game every X hours; which takes less than half a minute.)

It wasn't a memory leak per se, but rather efficiency problems with .NET memory allocation/garbage collection mechanism. I did optimize the code where possible so I think I at least minimized the problem if not outright got rid of it. It's hard to tell, though, because on most PCs you can't even reproduce the issue directly through normal play.

epeli

Arcane
Thanks Intinium , but can you be more specific about WHAT makes the combat better than in FO1\2?
Hard to be specific when the answer is "everything".

Underrail's character and combat systems that allow diverse builds and playstyles, unlike SPECIAL that always ends up being "aim for the eyes, win". (I believe Van Buren would have alleviated that issue somewhat, but that is a story for another thread...) The bulk of combat gameplay differs from the venerable Fallouts mainly through a large number of usable abilities and combat utility items, unlike FO1/2 where all you have are your equipped weapons. The combat encounter design and difficulty is also spot on, but Underrail's real forte are its excellent game mechanics. I can't stress that enough. Styg has incredible game design talent, something all other RPG devs out there could learn from.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Releasing anything close to the big holiday Steam sale sounds like a bad idea. :|

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Thanks Intinium , but can you be more specific about WHAT makes the combat better than in FO1\2?

Well, I'm not in the mood for a mega long post, but.

There's plenty more combat strategy to be had, in terms of mechanics like, A noise and detect system, a very good stealth system/pickpocket system, gunplay feels great, aiming. It doesn't have aimed shots like "VATS", but it has several different combat skills and abilities to use just like D:OS, which fallout doesn't have.

The Stealth system is very good, and more realized and actually useful.

There are numerous environmental factors to be aware of such as darkness, fire, water etc. and range differences, there are many different status affects (slowed, stunned etc.), chem boosters, crafting, armor resistances which is also complex. Generally there is just much more complexity and strategy this time around.

There are numerous different combat builds. PSI being an extra cool one, and most builds feel pretty viable and fun.

Fallout had cheesey builds with aiming for the eyes and horrible balanced. This is not the case with UR.

There's vast amounts of different ammonution, both craftable and buyable, there's shields, weapons break down when worn out and need repair.

There are different penalties for moving and shooting, close quarter penalties etc.

There are cool combat feats and skills when leveling up, that makes combat feel varied and different.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ohh yeah.

I already own the game, but paying only 9$ for it feels like stealing. I'll grab it on gog too.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The game is obviously inspired by Fallout, but is neither a Fallout rip-off, neither a successor of Fallout. Styg did his own thing, which is great. The pros is that you will have the post-apocalyptical atmosphere of Fallout, but with much better combat. What I like the most is that it feels like an old isometric cRPG. The cons is that you don’t have the good writing and the abundance of skill checks. The focus is on exploration and combat. You play the game more than one time to try different builds, but the game fells linear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom