Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

I said I thought rathounds were cute...

1465C6763718C726D4DB340453DF34B3698E6EAC

Lol.

"Depressing decline"!? Styg is indeed "one of us".
Dats my name yo

Aenra

You are a complete imbecile if you genuinely believe that respawning is alien to the single-player RPG

- I did not mention it as something new; never twist an argument so that external, secondary elements can fit in just so to convenience you; That's one. You want to address me with retarded logic only appliccable to elementary kids, says something about you rather than my own self, wouldn't you think?
- The fact that respawns occasionally reared their ugly head in other titles need not imply i am wrong simply because the historical precedent of their retardedness precedes that of Underrail's. You appear as if attempting to employ the fact of a past fallacy only so as to excuse it in the present. It too, again, says something about you rather than my own self, wouldn't you think?

Arguments based in logic and phrased in a manner befitting the (supposed) average Codexian's capability of comprehension are however always welcome. In the meantime, you will excuse me if i disagree with your finding me a complete imbecile. With all due respect and everything ^^

Inf0mercial

Augur
I run a sniper/AR/ metathermics build. Full on crafting except chemistry. I got the stength to upgrade from tactical vest to metal armor. My question is, are there any enhancements for metal armor for my kind of build ? The spikes/blades mean jack shit to me and I'd kinda miss the psi beetle carapace. I get that energy resistance is the obvious improvement but I can usually alpha strike my way through energy weapon faggots easily.

Metal armour can be stacked with just metal plates and once you hit 9 str you can stack 4 tungsten plates and laugh off everything, i currently on heavy ar build and using a 90 condition single plate and have 29 dr and 50% mechanical so i straight out ignore nearly all damage.

Even 8 str should able to have stacked metal plates and get a ton of DR just equip a kevlar balaclava for that 200% against bullets and laugh your way through. <keep in mind i have not tested this as i never had the need but it should work.

But honestly tactical vests are pretty good it just seems a waste of a Attribute point if your not going to use metal armour as i don't know any str 8 ar feats.

Aenra

..apologies for the double posting..try convincing your pitbull it's time for his eye drops, lol

Blaine it's a great fucking game, no one in their right mind (not here at least) would argue otherwise. That doesn't mean it's without its flaws, and that's 'ok'. Other great games had faults too, and that's to be expected, nothing's perfect. It's only an issue when we brand the bad things as good; that doesn't take us forward.
Even preference is 'ok'. This game, you don't mind? All good. Long as we can distinguish fact from said preference. Nothing personal, regarding you or my Serb neighbour. I'm just not one for putting a horse tack on, be it for a game like UR or a game like ME3. I have the exact same principles, the exact same reasonings. Kinda how we end up distinguishing quality from shit, isn't it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You appear as if attempting to employ the fact of a past fallacy only so as to excuse it in the present. It too, again, says something about you rather than my own self, wouldn't you think? ... Arguments based in logic and phrased in a manner befitting the (supposed) average Codexian's capability of comprehension

Did you tip your fedora after writing this? :lol:

That post of yours is chock-full of stupidity. You began by emphasizing that Underrail is a single-player RPG, and strongly implied that respawns are an indefensible mechanic in single-player RPGs. The mechanic has been defended, and very reasonably, but you aren't interested in a reasonable discussion of personal preferences. You're only interested in cramming your opinion down other people's throats.

However, you lack any compelling argument to support your opinion. Like the anti-cooldown rabble-rousers, your only tools so far have been ridicule, unfavorable (and wholly inaccurate) comparisons to MMOs, and your belief in the rightness of your personal preferences. Underrail's respawns are markedly different from MMO-style respawning in many respects, as I explained in no uncertain terms; using language such as "MMO-like" isn't sufficient to get away with bullshit comparisons. MMOs often include health bars, combat logs, and derived combat statistics screens, too.

Blaine it's a great fucking game, no one in their right mind (not here at least) would argue otherwise. That doesn't mean it's without its flaws, and that's 'ok'. Other great games had faults too, and that's to be expected, nothing's perfect. It's only an issue when we brand the bad things as good; that doesn't take us forward.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I recognize that Underrail has flaws, but I am not obligated to recognize YOUR complaint as a flaw. I respond to you people not because you complain, but because rather than simply express your distaste for a particular feature, you for some reason feel the need to ridicule the feature and justify your preferences by painting said feature as an indefensible flaw that should never have been included. The perverted brand of "logic" you employ is that the feature's very existence (or absence, in the case of a map) is clearly a universal flaw, and anyone who disagrees that it's a universal flaw must be defending that flaw because they can't stand to watch people say mean things about Underrail.

I actually know why you do this, and why others like you do it, even if you yourselves aren't aware of it: If you express your preferences as merely preferences, they carry only but so much weight. If instead you frame things that go against your preferences as absolute flaws that must be corrected, they carry much more weight (or at least, you think they do).

Example: If you want a map because you have a less-than-perfect memory, then say so. I don't need a map and can find my way everywhere in-game with few issues; moreover, I don't want a map, because if it existed I would probably use it and rely on it rather than exercising my brain. For me, that "flaw" isn't a flaw at all, and others agree with me (although I freely admit we're outnumbered by people who would prefer a map). That's not a lie, that's not a fanboy defense, it is the truth. My post history going back three years here on the Codex will prove this. Search my post history for "linear corridors with treasure nooks" if you have any doubt.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
See, there we just had a reasonable discussion of personal preferences. Each of us wishes for the other to fuck off, and says so, without a bunch of flibbertigibbeting.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I in turn envy those who can easily tolerate system design that's a near-unplayable mess for the sake of experiencing the good bits, usually atmosphere and dialogue. It's a storyfag talent, and personally I lean toward combatfag.

Underrail may not be JA2 or X-COM, but for the most part the game mechanics work as smoothly as clockwork while still being fairly nuanced and offering a great deal of options in terms of character design and progression. It has cooldowns though, so it's banal and uninspired. If it had eye shots, kneeling, snake crawling, and the ability to throw unlimited grenades, it would be revolutionary!

Lord Andre

Arcane
I run a sniper/AR/ metathermics build. Full on crafting except chemistry. I got the stength to upgrade from tactical vest to metal armor. My question is, are there any enhancements for metal armor for my kind of build ? The spikes/blades mean jack shit to me and I'd kinda miss the psi beetle carapace. I get that energy resistance is the obvious improvement but I can usually alpha strike my way through energy weapon faggots easily.

Metal armour can be stacked with just metal plates and once you hit 9 str you can stack 4 tungsten plates and laugh off everything, i currently on heavy ar build and using a 90 condition single plate and have 29 dr and 50% mechanical so i straight out ignore nearly all damage.

Even 8 str should able to have stacked metal plates and get a ton of DR just equip a kevlar balaclava for that 200% against bullets and laugh your way through. <keep in mind i have not tested this as i never had the need but it should work.

But honestly tactical vests are pretty good it just seems a waste of a Attribute point if your not going to use metal armour as i don't know any str 8 ar feats.

Ah, I get it, you can add more than one extra steel plate as enhancements. Basically using 4 steel plates and 1 vest. Sounds interesting. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Clearly defined constraints create a need for creative strategy within the rules. It's pretty elementary and arguing plausibility of this restraint method against that isn't always constructive.

Some are OK with accepting a rule such as a cooldown at face value, because they appreciate the effect on gameplay and so accept abstraction. Constraints not being rooted in plausible limitations within the game setting are pretty neck beard... like let's think of some realistic reasons why my PSI mage can only spam Cryogenic spell C every so often. It's a little absurd when you take a step back, at least for some of us, and particularly in a combat centric game.

We don't complain about the movement limitations of various chess pieces do we? No, because those very limitations are what introduce deep strategy. We can accept them at face value because we understand that notion. Same principle applies here if you can take off your neckbeard.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
RPGs aren't chess. Though it's the modern trend even in pnp to have horribly abstract systems, it's why most new shit is dull as fuck.

also p.s what you denominate neckbeard is thinking like an RPG player, which is something CRPG designers in general have failed to, and part of the reason this genre is full of trash

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
DAT HOUZ NIGGA. I spent 3 and a half rows of charons which is about every top upgrade except droids for the house, and the fucking place looks like a squat. LOLOL. Add to the fact that you get it so fucking late. I'm level 20 although I've done some questing, but I don't think you can get it earlier than 15-16. And it doesn't even come with basic storage. What a gyp.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
No RPGs aren't chess, but we would be lucky to have such great combat in our RPGs. Abstractions shmabstractions.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Free Drones quest initiation seems to be broken for me, and for others too according to a Google search.

I found it very odd that I've done everything in Lower Underrail and currently working on Upper without ever having seen hide nor hair of Free Drones. Checked the wiki; after finding out that the Protectorate train bandits are Free Drones, letting them be, and lying to Herve (which I did), a "Mysterious Lady" is supposed to appear at a Lower Underrail station.

I've been to many Lower Underrail stations and never seen her, so I can only conclude something is wrong.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Okay so uhm.. is anybody actually in the process of writing a gud review for this?

Seems strange that we haven't gotten a KODEX review on the GOTY yet, no? ;-x

Zetor

Arcane
Free Drones quest initiation seems to be broken for me, and for others too according to a Google search.

I found it very odd that I've done everything in Lower Underrail and currently working on Upper without ever having seen hide nor hair of Free Drones. Checked the wiki; after leaving finding out that the Protectorate train bandits are Free Drones, letting them be, and lying to Herve (which I did), a "Mysterious Lady" is supposed to appear at a Lower Underrail station.

I've been to many Lower Underrail stations and never seen her, so I can only conclude something is wrong.
I managed to finish the entire Free Drones questline, maybe I got lucky.
I think she was at the Core City metro station.

Aenra

We don't complain about ..chess..

Your comparison is flawed, so cease; you will begin to remind me of Blaine, who not only did the same [ you do comprehend you answered fuck all do you not Blaine ] ( .. ) but then moved on to actually discount facts by labeling them 'criticism' only so as to re-assert his lack of a functioning grey matter own views. You're better than that and you know i know it, so skip us the bullshit :)

A correct comparison, to stick with your chess example, would have been a new manufacturer producing a chess board where you no longer needed all that strategy or all them board pieces, because he had devised a "revolutionary" technique for you to prety much finish a game without as much thinking, or strategising, or organising as before.
- Because you don't really need as much organisational skills when crafting materials trash mobs respawn, do you? When the game fails to provide a balance sans said fucking mechanic? Fuck it, you'll get them mats anyway, so who cares
- How about a more direct comparison? Respawning chess pawns!!111 You've moved on to enemy territory, and poop, pawn spawns up your ass, behind you! Cool huh..
We call that decline i believe?

No one is criticising RPGs chess here, what you see criticised is a popamole mechanic in an otherwise incline RPG. Would have thought that was apparent. Just as (or so i originally hoped) the intention behind said criticism should have been obvious. Naming and swearing aside, we err first, ammend afterwards. No other way to improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom