Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Beastro, also JKK will give you a chance to romance... sortoff

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm just going to leave that here...

jp6tGvB.jpg

:lol:

Ah, the little things man.

Nines

Learned
Don't forget about shields. Power Managment does tons for shields epspecially with something that changes the conversion rate to 10 or higher. You can craft a shield with 1500 points (and something around 140 energy)
I have a feeling the perk doesn't worth it without energy weapons.

Infused cave hopper leather with soft foam padding and black cloth is the best by far, in my opinion. +40-50 Stealth, +1 Agility, +20-25 MP during combat and +10-15% movement speed out of combat (meaning you move faster while sneaking too). Add infused tabi to taste, although infused siphoner tabi grant immunity to immobilization, which can obviously save your ass.

I've always relied on my shield to soak damage when playing stealth characters if necessary, which is why I normally take Power Management and high Electronics.

It's a shame that black cloth tac vests look a lot cooler than the torn rags look you get from black cloth leather.
Well, it's not like I'm looking for any more stealth bonuses. I was more interested in survival. Seems like it would be better if I'll be relying on shield rather than armor.
I also noticed that NPCs have more badass armor models, while using the same stuff. I still hope it's obtainable. :negative:

f8Eb.png
h8Eb.jpeg

Tigranes

Arcane
Excidium II Are you writing a Prima Guide to Underrail or something

Nets aren't very useful IMO after early game, since there are better solutions for your AP cost by that point (flashbangs, incendiary grenades, just kill them, etc). Perhaps they last a bit longer if you're a throwing character.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Excidium II Are you writing a Prima Guide to Underrail or something

Nets aren't very useful IMO after early game, since there are better solutions for your AP cost by that point (flashbangs, incendiary grenades, just kill them, etc). Perhaps they last a bit longer if you're a throwing character.
lol I'm just trying to get information to make informed choices. Thanks

ArchAngel

Arcane
Funny. I am in Institute now and one guy says "it is small" but I am getting lost inside of it. FUck their "small" :D

Tyko

Barely Literate
Blaine I am playing what I would consider a standard pure Psi build right now. I think you mentioned earlier you're running a stealth-Psi? I was curious on your build for that, if you don't mind elaborating.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

I decided to give Jake a little "Underrail overhaul" to more closely match the male player character model's brown hair, Underrail's red goggles, and Underrail's leather armor aesthetic:

3419f5dd9a.png

Of course, I can't personally use this in my game. :negative:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm just going to leave that here...

jp6tGvB.jpg

:lol:

Ah, the little things man.
How useful are nets at that point of the game?

I find them to be very useful. They complement flashbangs nicely since flashbangs are resisted with fortitude while nets are resisted with evasion. So whenever I see a dude wearing heavy armor and a sledgehammer (you know, the kind of guy that can kill my character in a single turn if he gets close with full AP) I entangle them. Never seen it fail in a situation like that (and my throwing has an adjusted score of only 45). Flashbangs are more useful when you're dealing with several "light" enemies since they tend to have low con and, therefore, low fortitude.

I used a net against Balor before alt-tabbing to write this post. Nets are useful and cheap.

I decided to give Jake a little "Underrail overhaul" to more closely match the male player character model's brown hair, Underrail's red goggles, and Underrail's leather armor aesthetic:

3419f5dd9a.png

Of course, I can't personally use this in my game. :negative:

He DOES look a lot like Duke Nukem.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I realized this about a week ago, and it took me far too many hours to come to said realization: Advanced Repair Kits require 40 scrap to create and restore 500 durability, while recycled items yield 1 scrap per 10 durability. Therefore, if you repair a crappy old 5mm Hawker (or whatever) and then recycle it, you've in effect retained the repair kit while gaining 10 extra scrap you wouldn't otherwise have had.

The moral of the story is to repair shitty things with advanced kits BEFORE recycling them when you are able, as long as they're missing 500+ durability. Do this four times, and you'll have a "free" advanced repair kit.

ST'Ranger

Augur

No, I meant it as a response to your criticism of the respawning system.
You wrote "Once I learned how the Tchort debuff worked, I simply made sure I didn't trigger it - or at least not for very long." My problem is not is not that the critters respawn, it's that the difficulty of those encounters relies on HP and resistances bloat, making them a chore. Because when the two choices are: avoid combat or fight boring, repetitive encounters of the "slog through" variety, that is not good design. That's why I've used the institute of tchort as a positive example in comparison. Here you still have the choice of a volatile vs non-combat solution, but if you choose to fight through, the battles are interesting, as they rely on enemy placement and skills, rather then just turning them into damage sponges.

Are we speaking of the same creatures? The Tchort creatures I encountered were all 1-shot by a crossbow, so I don't really think that qualifies as HP bloat. HP bloat is the shrooms and the Deep Worms.

I agree that having combat available that you're intended to avoid is not good design (it's basically... anti-content), but my original point still stands that it's silly to complain about "hordes of respawning creatures" when you can literally fight 0 of them (at least before big bad) after figuring out how they work.

Complaining about the respawning mechanic in itself? That makes sense to me. But complaining about having to wade through "hordes of respawning creatures" when all can be entirely avoided is disingenuous and sidesteps the real issue.

Beastro

Arcane
I realized this about a week ago, and it took me far too many hours to come to said realization: Advanced Repair Kits require 40 scrap to create and restore 500 durability, while recycled items yield 1 scrap per 10 durability. Therefore, if you repair a crappy old 5mm Hawker (or whatever) and then recycle it, you've in effect retained the repair kit while gaining 10 extra scrap you wouldn't otherwise have had.

The moral of the story is to repair shitty things with advanced kits BEFORE recycling them when you are able, as long as they're missing 500+ durability. Do this four times, and you'll have a "free" advanced repair kit.

This is too OCD for me. I'm not even at the mid game and I've already got more than enough repair kits and loot on the back burner that I don't need to sell them.

Aenra

I see the fanboy crowd still finds ways to defend ..respawns.. in a single player RPG. We have even dared, no sorry, YOU have, to enter the 'dead static world' argument territory..
Well done ye fucktards, well done :)

:bravo:

For the sake of accuracy, let us not neglect to mention how it is even 'bettah' that said respawns are trash mobs, nor that, if we could only top it, it is ok because you NEED extra materialzz!!1111
ie, yes, heard it here first folks, it's all very incline when a game's pacing, progression and ingame economy is based on.. MMO-like respawns. What will you ask for next idiots? Dailies? Seriously? I thought i was the newfag here :)
Honestly expected better from some specific people in here. Updated my text.

Lhynn

Arcane
DC question

Do i have to kill faceless? they wont let me progress.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've put about 100 hours in with various characters, all of which stopped at Core City except for the current one, now at the Institute.

I think part of it is that Underrail does a great job at making you want to try the other types of characters. But the other part is that I think the game does have several clear weaknesses. And one of those is that some areas / quests are just boring and bad - the quality is not consistent. I haven't been to DC yet, but stuff like Lost Train backtracking, the hopper quest, the boring courier back and forth built into a lot of other quests... Foundry is a cool concept with some nice art but is generally a boring place to be, as well. The other point is that your characters tend to be pretty set by around level 12, and then there's not a huge amount to look forward to except for bigger and better versions of what you already have.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I see the fanboy crowd still finds ways to defend ..respawns.. in a single player RPG. We have even dared, no sorry, YOU have, to enter the 'dead static world' argument territory..
Well done ye fucktards, well done :)

:bravo:

For the sake of accuracy, let us not neglect to mention how it is even 'bettah' that said respawns are trash mobs, nor that, if we could only top it, it is ok because you NEED extra materialzz!!1111
ie, yes, heard it here first folks, it's all very incline when a game's pacing, progression and ingame economy is based on.. MMO-like respawns. What will you ask for next idiots? Dailies? Seriously? I thought i was the newfag here :)
Honestly expected better from some specific people in here. Updated my text.

Yes, the occasional group of animals spaced five to fifteen screen transitions apart in some locations respawning once every few hours is JUST like an MMO, wherein nearly all enemies in every area of each zone respawn constantly.

You are a complete imbecile if you genuinely believe that respawning fauna or enemies is alien to the single-player RPG. Your knowledge of RPGs must have more holes in it than a national sorority get-together.

circ

Arcane
Beastro, also JKK will give you a chance to romance... sortoff

:backawayslowly:

Praetorian it is then...
I did Coretech because they gave me a kind of Syndicate vibe. There was nothing particularly stealthy, magey, actiony about the quests. One quest could be done without killing but the other two had unavoidable killing. The last quest I'm not sure how you'd manage without traps, but I guess you could just slap down beartraps as those don't require points in traps. If you want to spend an hour on the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom