Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ST'Ranger

Augur
I heard Underrail is supposed to be like Fallout, but so far I'm just running around caves killing things. If this is Fallout it's the worst of Fallout.

The game looks similar to Fallout, and that's pretty much where the crucial similarities stop. Think of Underrail as Wizardry 7.5: Fallout Edition. That should be a far more accurate mental barometer. Underrail is about combat, interesting character builds + combat mechanics, and exploration.

Black Angel

Arcane
In retrospect, I guess I was really lucky that the first time I played Underrail, I actually haven't played Fallout 1&2. I only heard that the game is like the older Fallouts, and that's it. Underrail is also my first(!) cRPG ever, and it's where I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and start trying new games. I have to admit, the gameplay just works and then I start paying attention to the story.

Nowadays that I've played the older Fallouts (and also Fallout 1.5), the writing, c&c, and overall reactivity in Underrail was only decent at best and not exactly Fallout worthy.

But Styg was SO CLOSE! Hopefully he step up his writing next time, or maybe hire better writers, and finally produce something worthy as a replacement for the future of Post-(Post-(Post-))) Apocalyptic cRPG.

Lambach

Arcane
Other than the post-apocalyptic setting, any comparison between Fallout 1/2 and Underrail is a bit disingenuous. Underrail was made and balanced with combat in mind, while all other aspects take a backseat and feel a bit lackluster - in the Fallout games, combat is mostly an afterthought that you just kinda grit your teeth and get through because of how fucking boring and repetitive it is, but all the other things make it worth it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The game does more than enough to be a great game and it doesn't need to be the new Fallout, it's a game of its own. There's only one Fallout1 anyway, and it's a special product of its time. I don't think that even Tim Cain (along with all the help he would want) could make another game with such a tight world, interactivity and feel.

Underrail 2 just needs a few improvements like bigger single area maps, less treking back and forth, faster ways to move around, and more interactivity outside combat with more emphasis on writing/lore/dialog options. Also improve some things like inventory management and other things that can be frustrating, like fishing.

But what I really want is more interesting enemies that force me to think in order to deal with them and more options in my arsenal. And more well-thought dungeons... well sure UR is one big dungeon, but I'm talking about specific areas like old bases, that have their own theme.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
less treking back and forth, faster ways to move around,

Hell no. Part of the feel of this game is those communities are isolated. They have to be mostly self-sufficient aside from the major city or two because movement is so infrequent between stations, and so utterly dangerous.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
well sure UR is one big dungeon, but I'm talking about specific areas like old bases, that have their own theme.

Yep, that's what I hope for too. Best thing for me in Underrail is exploring and finding all those locations and the only thing that I feel is missing is having them fleshed out just a bit more... like giving them just a little more background, what they were and so on.
Of course I'm not talking about dropping voice logs at every corner, just a bit more than there is at the moment.

I don't want faster ways to move around, just faster walking speed or running would be enough, I think.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
less treking back and forth, faster ways to move around,

Hell no. Part of the feel of this game is those communities are isolated. They have to be mostly self-sufficient aside from the major city or two because movement is so infrequent between stations, and so utterly dangerous.
I'm not really talking about that, more like places like core city that have a shitload of very small area maps where you have to move back and forth between dozens of them to do your job. Instead there should be much bigger maps and more shortcuts. Also making super steel is a huge pain in the ass. Using your apartment in core city is also a pain. Going back and forth to the various vendors trying to find certain materials also takes a huge amount of time.

Atmosphere is fucking great, but when you're 60 hours into the game and have explored almost everything and you're into crafting your top gear, things can get frustrating.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol. I thought I'd missed news about a new game from Styg or something.

TimCain, it'll be great if you make a new single character/non-party-based (or at least non-party-centric) RPG, because I think that's what a lot of people on the Codex really want.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
lol. I thought I'd missed news about a new game from Styg or something.

TimCain, it'll be great if you make a new single character/non-party-based RPG, because I think that's what a lot of people on the Codex really want.

Especially since most of codex thinks a recipe for great RPG is "Add some water to Tim Cain, wait a year or two"

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm not really talking about that, more like places like core city that have a shitload of very small area maps where you have to move back and forth between dozens of them to do your job. Instead there should be much bigger maps and more shortcuts. Also making super steel is a huge pain in the ass. Using your apartment in core city is also a pain. Going back and forth to the various vendors trying to find certain materials also takes a huge amount of time.

Atmosphere is fucking great, but when you're 60 hours into the game and have explored almost everything and you're into crafting your top gear, things can get frustrating.

I'm playing the game perfectly fine on 5x speed (with Cheat Engine), goes to show just how slow the default game speed is. 5x might be a bit too much for everyone, but I'd recommend at least 2x after the initial thrill has worn off. For city walk I just set to 10x-20x. Hope subsequent Styg projects/patches up the speed or add a slider.

You can also use CE to directly set the quality of components. I never did that myself, bit blatant for my taste, but I sure was tempted when I couldn't find high quality boot springs - running between all the merchants can get old real quick.

Don Peste

Arcane
I don't think that even Tim Cain (along with all the help he would want) could make another game with such a tight world, interactivity and feel.

Well, there is only one way to find out.
khaaan.jpg

CAAAAAAAIN!

This time it'll be hard sci-fi. :martini:

Styg had this to say today on Steam about 1 hour ago :
"We have a decent amount of work to show you already, but we have to wait for some promotional art in order to do a proper announcement.
I'm also looking forward to writing regular dev logs again (it's been way too long), but we have to do this one thing properly for the mainstream press first."

It seems that this will be indeed the expansion. So hyped! We also have a confirmed patch on the official forum:
"This is actually a bug and I'll fix it in the next patch."
:hype:

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
Anyone that can help me out with this. In Depot A I have retrieved the North Gate Card in that underground place with the sentry bots, but where the hell is the north gate it's supposed to open?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom