Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine what is highest mercantile check in expedition? Only interested in merchants. I understand its 105 in base game
110 for the best jetski discount. So a tiny bit higher than what you needed in the base game, but Expedition introduced hypercerebrix so in the end it's easier to mee. Unless you're a build that doesn't do much crafting so you can't make hypercerebrix, but you probably should be. Not crafting in this game is weird.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not crafting in this game is weird.

It would be less weird if non-crafted items weren't utter garbage compared to even moderately decent crafted items, let alone top-tier crafted items.

It would be one thing if crafted items were 25% better, or 50% better, or even 100% (!) better than looted or purchased items... but instead, they're often 3-4x better, despite how easily the discrepancies could be controlled given the relationship between material quality and final stats.

BEHOLD! SCIENCE... YOU CHEAP WHORE!

250520_20190826201927_1.png

My character doesn't even have Power Management specialized. :lol:

The near-total (often literally total) unavailability of all advanced drugs in order to increase Biology's desirability is also retarded, given the presence of numerous physicians and biologists (and laboratories, etc.) apart from the player character. It's one thing for them to be very rare so that Biology investors can use them much more often, but as it is it's just absurd.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
One of the many strengths of full psi is that it can easily get away with investing only in Electronics and Biology. The rest are largely unneeded, in part because the obscene armor penalty of psi beetle shield armors makes them easy to skip.

Parabalus

Arcane
You still really want infused leather boots, not like you have anything else to spend the skill points on as psi.

Without crafting skills you might be tempted to put them into evasion and dodge :negative:.

hell bovine

Arcane
there are probably very few builds that can rely on unique weapons and as such skip crafting

No build wants to skip having a crafted shield. Even psi focused mega wizards need a good shield.
Nah, my last playthrough (hard difficulty) managed just fine without it. (Used a shield found on Balor.)
A cave wizard could use no shield and still come out on top.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You still really want infused leather boots, not like you have anything else to spend the skill points on as psi.

Without crafting skills you might be tempted to put them into evasion and dodge :negative:.

Stealth psi can handily make do with store-bought/looted black leather and black tabi, but I agree that's a worthwhile consideration.

If done right, a "finished" full psi character would no doubt have ideal levels of all four psi disciplines (max for the damage workhorses; sensible plateaus otherwise), fairly high stealth, enough hacking to pass the most difficult checks, reasonably high Electronics, Tailoring, and Biology (Biology perhaps only to 70), and ideal plateaus of any two social skills. Sacrifice one if Lockpicking is also desired.

Honestly, you could probably squeeze them all in without losing out on anything, Lockpicking included.

Last edited:

Goromorg

Savant
There is no point in crafting armor as a psi user, the best looking light armor is unique (Phantom dancer).

Jezal_k23

Underrail still pulling off rock solid player counts, and a positive review score, several days after the review. Looks like Sseth's fanbase is legit, and really enjoys this kind of game.

ZXUXxwE.png

Parabalus

Arcane

Stealth psi can handily make do with store-bought/looted black leather and black tabi, but I agree that's a worthwhile consideration.

If done right, a "finished" full psi character would no doubt have ideal levels of all four psi disciplines (max for the damage workhorses; sensible plateaus otherwise), fairly high stealth, enough hacking to pass the most difficult checks, reasonably high Electronics, Tailoring, and Biology (Biology perhaps only to 70), and ideal plateaus of any two social skills. Sacrifice one if Lockpicking is also desired.

Honestly, you could probably squeeze them all in without losing out on anything, Lockpicking included.

You can get everything so easily as a PSI char it's completely disgusting:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMDAwkDEAkAAAAAAABQRVUAAFBQCipQRsKgwqBGJQQ8wrffvw

With the 200 spare points you could even take traps or pickpocketing. This is with a CON build, with dumped CON you could have even more freedom.

Intimidate I'm not sure if there's a >75 check in the expansion. I think you can find all the PER secrets, the drugs all stack.

Sawyer really needs to pay a visit to these cave wizards.

One of the many strengths of full psi is that it can easily get away with investing only in Electronics and Biology. The rest are largely unneeded, in part because the obscene armor penalty of psi beetle shield armors makes them easy to skip.
Sturdy laminated psi beetle vest is only 30% penalty, so 15% with Nimble. I don't think 15% penalty is too bad in return for the psi skills boost/psi cost reduction. And you get bonus HP and very good DT vs bullets on top of that.

ciox

Liturgist

You can get everything so easily as a PSI char it's completely disgusting:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMDAwkDEAkAAAAAAABQRVUAAFBQCipQRsKgwqBGJQQ8wrffvw

With the 200 spare points you could even take traps or pickpocketing. This is with a CON build, with dumped CON you could have even more freedom.

Intimidate I'm not sure if there's a >75 check in the expansion. I think you can find all the PER secrets, the drugs all stack.

Sawyer really needs to pay a visit to these cave wizards.

To be fair, Guns is nearly as bad, just try to think about how many types of attacks, ranges of engagement, types of damage and survivability throughout the entire game including the final battles that you can get out of just one skill, not several psi skills.

Always thought it should at least be split somehow, into Standard (firearms) and Exotic (energy, chemical, and everything else) but it's too late now.

Parabalus

Arcane
Sturdy laminated psi beetle vest is only 30% penalty, so 15% with Nimble. I don't think 15% penalty is too bad in return for the psi skills boost/psi cost reduction. And you get bonus HP and very good DT vs bullets on top of that.

Why is armory penalty even as concern as PSI?

You can comfortably run around with 50% or even 95% - you're ranged, have boot springs, haste (possibly sprint as well) and LoS on a spell for on demand corner abuse.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
styg probably have sent out a purchase order of a truckload of vodka

He don't like alcohol...

So, when can we expect people to start review bombing the game due to all the locusts?

They've already started threatening to do this :lol: https://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/458604254418344648/

So it is implied that a person is able to react and take some defensive actions in a timeframe between first pallet of shotgun shot hits and the rest, thus he is not ambushed by the rest of pallet in a shotgun shot?

Nope, it's implied that you can't really AIM with pellets as you can with single bullets, as it's sort of AoE attack.

Shotguns seem to exist solely so Styg can nerf them into the ground

For now it almost as powerful as assault rifles. And Sixth Shell is single most powerful feat in game.
Single shot without 6thshell from shotgun with 100 damage average- 100+100+100+100+100+100 = 600
Burst without 6thshell - 3x100x2 = 600 of damage.

Single shot with 6thshell - 110+120+130+140+150+200 = 850
Burst - 110+120+130 and 140+150+200 = 850

Fully specialized 6thshell - 120+140+160+180+200+300 = 1100.

Almost doubles damage output.

The near-total (often literally total) unavailability of all advanced drugs in order to increase Biology's desirability is also retarded, given the presence of numerous physicians and biologists (and laboratories, etc.) apart from the player character. It's one thing for them to be very rare so that Biology investors can use them much more often, but as it is it's just absurd.

Well, I can't say is it absurd or not, but it would be definitely cool to have opportunity to find powerful drugs, or to buy it for big money or to loot them form dead body.
But actuall you can do that in game - only these opprtunities in possbly not-enough quantities.
I definitely remember how cool it was in Fallout to get that very rare and pricey Psycho before you do caravan guard mission - I mean first Fallout of course.
Rare, powerful - heritage of ancestors! :smug:

Even psi focused mega wizards need a good shield.

Actually, there is one of the testers who never using shield and stealth as psionic character, otherwise it's too easy for him...

Sawyer really needs to pay a visit to these GRENADES.

Absolutely right comrade!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So, i get from Fenix's post that shotguns are alright? I want to start new game with Expedition now and considering hobo with a shotgun build. Are there some advice on what stats/feats other than shotty specials are good to have or what armor or evasion/dodge to have.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, i get from Fenix's post that shotguns are alright? I want to start new game with Expedition now and considering hobo with a shotgun build. Are there some advice on what stats/feats other than shotty specials are good to have or what armor or evasion/dodge to have.

They're pretty good, but they take awhile to get going, you're going to want a side arm of some kind though to deal with enemies at range or simply when the shotgun falls short because early game shotgun damage is really sporadic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom