Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm totally OK with SI being a kind of "ignorable for most players, a weird entryway to niche builds for DOM sadists" thing. Underrail's loot and systems are generous enough that players do have some room to experiment and make suboptimal choices on Normal/Hard, especially with grenades and open map.

And the wide variance of playstyles go far beyond difficulty or degree of minmaxing. Half of what Blaine or some others say about merchant runs or repair kits or whatever is complete gibberish to me, but that's perfectly fine, as the game also supports someone who ignores 90% of all lootables.

CHEMS

Scholar
Also, since i'm obsessed with jet stealing, i'll post yet another guide to get a cool jet relativelly early

You get an Aegis Patroller for free after doing just a few quests.

The point is not doing those quests. Getting the Free Aegis isn't free as it costs you hostility with the pirates. After expedition is over, Aegis will be gone. The pirates will always be there for you, banga

jackofshadows

Magister
When you join pirates is there similiar native issue? Or Aegis issue? In short - is it possible to join them and forget about expedition content for a while?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
When you join pirates is there similiar native issue? Or Aegis issue? In short - is it possible to join them and forget about expedition content for a while?
Natives don't storm pirate's bases and, except for exploration of the ruins, you don't have to engage them at all. Aegis will turn hostile, but it matters little since you can just ignore them.

CHEMS

Scholar
Is the pirate questline and good?

Yes. You get to raid the waterways and their merchant is great.

Does anyone knows where is he?
The Mutie Tattoo Artist in the sewers I believe, he doubles as a merchant.

He won't appear in all playthroughs though...

Also i found a new random event in mushroom cove. There's some guy who got scammed in junkyard and bought a old useless dog to hunt hoppers. He'll try to rob you, you can fight him or pass a perception/biology check to avoid the fight.

jackofshadows

Magister
Marcus and Ladelman are only good for their shekels
Ladelman sells trance and supersoldier drugs, not sure about focus stims but probably too. Tiny amount and you have to pass merchandise check but it might be useful for non-biology char.

CHEMS

Scholar
Marcus and Ladelman are only good for their shekels
Ladelman sells trance and supersoldier drugs, not sure about focus stims but probably too. Tiny amount and you have to pass merchandise check but it might be useful for non-biology char.

He sells one supersoldier drug just once, if you pass the check. That's why you buy from him and them betray briggs later.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Look, it's very simple.

Stealth~DEX~AGI-oriented character = Coretech, Free Drones, Oculus, Grim Jetters

Tin Can~STR~CON-oriented character = Praetorians, Protectorate, Oculus, Aegis

No one will want to skip Oculus, obviously, and it has no true counterpart. Probably not even fist wizards should bother with JKK, but I've been wrong before.

CHEMS

Scholar
Aegis sells only 80ish quality stuff. Sometimes i see a 100+ but it's rare. Ladelman is great for dumping loot though, he'll buy almost every gear you have.

Tigranes

Arcane
So on DOM, I'm curious - what are some tricks people have for first encounters with Beetles?

For some characters (e.g. Psi), the answer is simple: blast them. For others (e.g. heavily dependent on mechanical damage), nades & molotovs is the answer to everything in life, but is there anything else? E.g. a level 3 versatility DEX knife/firearm pistol build. Wondering what they could do at that point other than that.

jackofshadows

Magister
Look, it's very simple.

Stealth~DEX~AGI-oriented character = Coretech, Free Drones, Oculus, Grim Jetters

Tin Can~STR~CON-oriented character = Praetorians, Protectorate, Oculus, Aegis

No one will want to skip Oculus, obviously, and it has no true counterpart. Probably not even fist wizards should bother with JKK, but I've been wrong before.
Protectorate's omnilube is really nice for a sniper and you can buy black cloth off Derica other than Free Drones. JKK gives awesome armor and their trader has really high quality items even if it more rng-dependent due to limited stock. Anyway, here's some sheet from another thread, seems reliable. It's also says that Ladelman doesn't restock drugs dunno why I remembered it differentely, probably because I didn't use it and picked up more during Expedition content.
For some characters (e.g. Psi), the answer is simple: blast them. For others (e.g. heavily dependent on mechanical damage), nades & molotovs is the answer to everything in life, but is there anything else? E.g. a level 3 versatility DEX knife/firearm pistol build. Wondering what they could do at that point other than that.
You can net them and shank with a knife one by one or lure onto bear traps but it might be really tiresome. Molotovs are just a way better solution. Just remember to be careful around Newton ^_^

CHEMS

Scholar
So on DOM, I'm curious - what are some tricks people have for first encounters with Beetles?

Traps, wait them to open carapace, chuck grenades and molotovs. Gas grenades, if you can craft them, are great to kill stronger enemies in a killzone with bear traps. With psi, TC especifically, you can mental subvert + fear, them chase the goliathus casting NO, or damage him a little bit and re-stealth.

CHEMS

Scholar
It's also says that Ladelman doesn't restock drugs dunno why I remembered it differentely, probably because I didn't use it and picked up more during Expedition content.
He'll restock drugs, but not the supersoldier one.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Protectorate's omnilube is really nice for a sniper and you can buy black cloth off Derica other than Free Drones. JKK gives awesome armor and their trader has really high quality items even if it more rng-dependent due to limited stock.

Quite a lot of new stuff has been added since I last played right after Expedition's release: random encounters, Drag 'n' Drop, special uniforms for Core City factions, unique non-craftables for various factions, etc. I often forget about that.

If JKK sells high-quality complete gear, it might be a good choice for a non-crafting playthrough. I can't imagine anyone does non-crafting playthroughs anymore, since there isn't that much else to spend points on for a given build, unless you're maxing Dodge, Evasion, Persuade, and Mercantile. The way Underrail is set up, it's difficult to obtain an ideal primary weapon or a decent supply of high-end expendables without it. Even the prospect of Super Steel/infused gear and stuff like Power Management makes it hard to pass up crafting.

That said, I feel that I'm finding better non-crafted stuff this time around, although only from merchants. Loot and most unique gear remains rubbish. Goggles in particular—you can get a very decent set. Also, stealth characters seem to be somewhat less crafting-dependent.

CHEMS

Scholar
Just looted a 700hp high-high shield from Minister Percival at level 10. You guys do kill all the tchortists in Core City, right?

ciox

Liturgist
Just looted a 700hp high-high shield from Minister Percival at level 10. You guys do kill all the tchortists in Core City, right?
That was my initial instinct to make things more interesting, but I stopped because it softlocked the game in older versions, no way to access the institute.

CHEMS

Scholar
Well, now you can! I did kill him for the robes, but the shield was a pleasant surprise.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Well, now you can! I did kill him for the robes, but the shield was a pleasant surprise.
Does the rest of Core City, or the Institute for that matter, not turn hostile if you do? Damn, that'd be pretty funny if they're just eager to see them gone as you are.

ciox

Liturgist
You can start killing factions in Core City, and it will only start a fight with that faction, just be careful with the Institute area in case you can still softlock it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom