Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2021-4-7_4-19-33.png

WHY ARE BANDAGES SO HEAVY DAAAAAMN

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
oddity system is pure incline

It's certainly not decline, but then again, neither is the classical system of awarding numerical XP employed in countless other inclined cRPGs.

As I've said, Oddity isn't a perfect system. No system ever is, from galactic clusters right on down to miniature biospheres in a small colony of moss—and all that's in-between, including everything ever designed or conceived by human beings.

In a larger sense, in my opinion, non-level-based, point-buy character design and progression systems in the vein of GURPS are markedly superior to level-based systems overall—incidentally, GURPS was the rules system that was originally planned to be used in Fallout. But such systems are harder to implement properly in cRPGs and they don't provide a constant flow of treats as the pigeon pecks the battleship.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The problem I've found is that Oddity is supposed to reward non-combat/stealth but to get every oddity you still have to sift through every nook and cranny AND often have to kill the local wildlife.

CHEMS

Scholar
Aside from Oddity being a bit slow for my taste, it's also very meta-gamey. Rummaging through every trash can and pocket, farming some enemy until you max out its oddities, even euthanizing a faction if you lack a way to obtain a major oddity—or scrounging up every single one you can find to prepare for Depot A, for example—none of these are desirable. The two major upsides of Oddity are that it compels you to take risks in order to obtain them and rewards exploration and searching nooks and crannies, but I'd be doing that anyway.

Not to mention that after lvl 25, you need 62 oddities to get to the next level.

Codex Year of the Donut
Aside from Oddity being a bit slow for my taste, it's also very meta-gamey. Rummaging through every trash can and pocket, farming some enemy until you max out its oddities, even euthanizing a faction if you lack a way to obtain a major oddity—or scrounging up every single one you can find to prepare for Depot A, for example—none of these are desirable. The two major upsides of Oddity are that it compels you to take risks in order to obtain them and rewards exploration and searching nooks and crannies, but I'd be doing that anyway.

Not to mention that after lvl 25, you need 62 oddities to get to the next level.
agreed, that is far too low. It should be much higher.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
How much content is added for mutant questline?
Also it fully takes place in Core city sewers or in mutant town?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
what's the penalty?

The game shouldn't communicate to the player -- there's nothing anymore for you in this area, go away. This is especially visible in Lower Underrail in early-mid game where there are only few types of oddities available. All pre-placed oddities should be unlimited, unlike the enemy drops.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
in lower passages there are no oddities afaik

Human scalp and teeth necklace.
hmmm... not what i meant. What was the area called, vast caves at the bottom with nothing but crawlers, psy bugs and few bunkers? It was actually my dominating run that i explored them fully for first time and was quite disappointed

Tygrende

Arbiter

hmmm... not what i meant. What was the area called, vast caves at the bottom with nothing but crawlers, psy bugs and few bunkers? It was actually my dominating run that i explored them fully for first time and was quite disappointed
You mean upper caves? There's still a few in there, but yeah not that many. Rat head amulet comes to mind first.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

You mean upper caves? There's still a few in there, but yeah not that many. Rat head amulet comes to mind first.
yeah that one. You can obtain full set of rat heads without going there

jackofshadows

Magister
Caves are just fucking caves. The fact that the game tells to oddity player GTFO is nice actually while classic xp virgins should struggle about whether or not they should clear it.

Tygrende

Arbiter

yeah that one. You can obtain full set of rat heads without going there
Only if you get lucky in the gauntlet. Otherwise you need the one from upper caves for all 5 studies.

grumf

Novice
I recently completed a 100% oddity run on Dominating (posted in the discord). I hit level 30 just before entering DC (faceless oddities at the elevator) with all base game + expedition oddities.

You have to join JKK (unless you want to rely on the RNG of the gauntlet for a train log) and the Free Drones to get them all in a single playthrough, also the two headed mutie can spawn if you revisit depot A.

jackofshadows

Magister
JKK has oddities on their base which is basically unaccessible otherwise. But what about Free Drones? The gas should dissipate after some time now, isn't it? Or it's about something else? Never joined them yet.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
JKK has oddities on their base which is basically unaccessible otherwise. But what about Free Drones? The gas should dissipate after some time now, isn't it? Or it's about something else? Never join them yet.
You can get the JKK HQ oddity without joining them, that's not the reason. All you have to do is ask all the oligarchs for a job before actually talking to their quest giver - that way you're allowed into the 1st floor of all HQs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom