Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey guys, you've sold me on that one. I don't know much about the game and I plan to do my own shit, I heard it was the kind of game to give you enough freedom and rope to fuck with. But before I dive in, any broad advice ?
Always max your main damage dealing skill (melee if you're using a melee weapon, guns if you're using a gun, psionics if you're using psionic), and try to minmax your stats as well. If you aren't playing a build that needs perception, dump it to three, if you're not playing a build that needs strength, dump it to three, if you're not playing a build that is going to tank anything, dump con to three, etc. Wouldn't hurt to ask for build advice too.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Hag Also, when it comes to determining secondary stats, look up the feats that are associated with it. For example, if you want to have decent movement points, but it's not going to be a focal point of your build, you're probably good at six agility, as that's when you unlock sprint which is one of the best feats in the game. After six, you get a lot of diminishing returns unless you're doing specific builds. Same thing with intelligence, and so on.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks guys for the advice. Since I did not read all of them before starting and wanted to do it mostly my way, I ended with a knife-throwing psionic with conditioning and sprint. Gonna try my usual glass cannon approach, hard hitter with good mobility. Heard you could do psionic bare-hand secret wutang-style fighting so of course I'm going to. Not very happy with my starting skill points distribution but I got the impression you could rectify it a bit taking on the first levels. Maybe I'm mistaken and only pain is awaiting me. But so far psionics really get the work done, with sprinting I dispatched the four stalkers hanging around the missing camera quite efficiently. Also went for the oddity experience system.

I like the game so far. Good UI (very important), nice art and music, writing is to the point and it seems that you're free to fuck around quite a bit, which is what I enjoy in life and video-games alike.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Hag you have been pranked, or you are some troll alt. Especially this part
with conditioning [...]. Gonna try my usual glass cannon approach

Either way I highly advise not to do throwing knives during first run. Or even second. Its for bored players seeking new thrills

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Hag you have been pranked, or you are some troll alt. Especially this part
with conditioning [...]. Gonna try my usual glass cannon approach

Either way I highly advise not to do throwing knives during first run. Or even second. Its for bored players seeking new thrills
Yeah, might have been pranked. Joke on them, I love throwing stuff around. Anyway I'm keeping the build for now, since I don't care that much and I may level up other skills. We'll see.

jackofshadows

Magister
But before I dive in, any broad advice ?
Re-bind 6-9 (7-9) to some other, more convenient keys, I also prefer to have "e" for starting combat. Use them with shift and ctrl extensively.

If at some point local vendor system will start to annoy you, use cheat-engine to refresh them. Also don't forget to use in-game speed up when needed.

3.2 gb - that's odd, was it the size of vanilla game? If so, consider buying the expansion right away - it's great by itself and improves the "base" game as well.

Any good way to get the leprechaun event now? Guess you can just dupe the boots, but the feat?
You can always change your system clock and get him to spawn naturally. Make a save at the Rail Crossing train station and check the three areas north of it for holes. If he hasn't spawned then load the save, walk to Rail Crossing and back a few times to change the RNG, and then check for holes again. His spawn rate is pretty good so it shouldn't take long.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
1657078186656.png

A preview of some of the 3D models that Styg and crew have been working on. I asked to see what the new models might look like on a background so we can get a feel for them, and he said that the backgrounds need to be brought up to par first.
1657078279495.png

Some comments regarding Stygian's design philosophy and the engine upgrades planned for Infusion and Underrail 2 in the distant future.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Went North to the old Omega compound and found on the lower floor the bandits holding three poor guys hostage. Tried the Spetsnaz way and flashbanged everybody before picking up the bad guys, but it seems the hostages did not enjoyed the trick and were then afraid of me. And I haven't found a "Come on quit running I won't hurt you" button, so I sadly had to find a more subtle approach.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Went North to the old Omega compound and found on the lower floor the bandits holding three poor guys hostage. Tried the Spetsnaz way and flashbanged everybody before picking up the bad guys, but it seems the hostages did not enjoyed the trick and were then afraid of me. And I haven't found a "Come on quit running I won't hurt you" button, so I sadly had to find a more subtle approach.
If you're gonna Spetsnaz go Spetsnaz all the way and save the hostages from themselves too.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Well that would have been far easier to torch the room down indeed but that's my first playthrough and I needed the info from one guy.

Also found some burrowers under some bunker near the Junkyard.
Got epicly pwnd. I'm not going back there for a long time.

Any good way to get the leprechaun event now? Guess you can just dupe the boots, but the feat?
You can always change your system clock and get him to spawn naturally. Make a save at the Rail Crossing train station and check the three areas north of it for holes. If he hasn't spawned then load the save, walk to Rail Crossing and back a few times to change the RNG, and then check for holes again. His spawn rate is pretty good so it shouldn't take long.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, you only have one chance at a hole per area, so this needs to be on a character who's never been that way before. If you've already checked all his potential spawn points and saved then you're screwed.
This method also works for trying to get the plasma or temporal beetle holes too, if you care about those. Or darkdwellers, but they don't have any special loot like the beetles do.

Parabalus

Arcane
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, you only have one chance at a hole per area, so this needs to be on a character who's never been that way before. If you've already checked all his potential spawn points and saved then you're screwed.
This method also works for trying to get the plasma or temporal beetle holes too, if you care about those. Or darkdwellers, but they don't have any special loot like the beetles do.

Which areas are these exactly? Never seen a hole.

Which areas are these exactly? Never seen a hole.
I know at least four. The three areas north of the Rail Crossing train, and then the one west of the flooded vault. Or east of bunker. Or two areas south from Dude's cave home. That one's kinda out of the way though, so if I want to reroll for a specific one then I just check the three north of the train, since they're in a nice easily accessible line.
Someday I'll get around to making an image with the locations. Someday.

View attachment 25922
A preview of some of the 3D models that Styg and crew have been working on. I asked to see what the new models might look like on a background so we can get a feel for them, and he said that the backgrounds need to be brought up to par first.
View attachment 25923
Some comments regarding Stygian's design philosophy and the engine upgrades planned for Infusion and Underrail 2 in the distant future.
game isn't even out yet and already looks outdated :kfc:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Cleared Depot A. Well, more like completed the mission, I did not dispatch all enemies.
That was not easy. On one hand it is good to win fights against five enemies, a single one who could kill my character unprepared, on the other I wonder whether I fucked up my character leveling considering how hard it got by the end. I play mostly psionics with melee, but my strength is 5. Maybe using mostly unarmed attacks don't help, I will probably switch to blade and wait until I get more feats and strength to try back my kung-fu.
I'm yet to embark to Core city, went to clear other areas around SGS before. Couldn't kill the lunatics camping NW of the station. Disappointing. I like my character so I don't plan to restart, and maybe the battles are not supposed to be easy either.

Map design in this game is great.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Summer holiday is here, I'm getting ready for my Final Run (tm) (actually completing the game).

Two questions:

1) Any reason not to do Dominating difficulty?

2) I'm planning to use a fairly cookie cutter (as I see it) mechanical pistols + TM build. Anything obvious I should change from my plans:

Str 3
Dex 14
Agility 7
Con 3
Perception 11
Will 3
Int 7

Skills:
Guns
Throwing
Stealth
Hacking
Lockpicking
Mechanics
Temporal Manipulation
Persuade

Later spend extra points on remaining crafting skills/Mercantile as necessary.

Feats:
Gunslinger
Aimed Shot
Point Shot
Rapid Fire
Hit and Run
Recklessness
Gun Nut
Pack Rathhound
Interloper
Premeditation
Fatal Throw
Sharpshooter
Bullet Time
Critical Power
Blindsiding
Increased Perception
Scrutinous

Specializations:
Bullet Time, Fatal Throw, Hit and Run, remaining in Recklessness

jackofshadows

Magister
Two questions:

2) I'm planning to use a fairly cookie cutter (as I see it) mechanical pistols + TM build. Anything obvious I should change from my plans:
1) Not really, especially since now certain (minor) content locked behind it.

2) Versatility would be significantly stronger so I'd suggest that with the same general plan unless you hate the idea of playing with 3 per.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Two questions:

1) Not really, especially since now certain (minor) content locked behind it.

2) Versatility would be significantly stronger so I'd suggest that with the same general plan unless you hate the idea of playing with 3 per.

Not really. Just not sure what I gain from it with this build, since it so narrow anyway? Also what to cut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom