Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hm... I just joined the Pirates and something happened that has never happened to me before...
Aegis is attacking the Port!

Is this new or did I leave too many sec troopers alive before leaving them this time?
It always happened to me, though I've always joined the pirates post the big event. IDK, maybe Aegis numbers is tied into this as well.
I bought this game a long time ago, I made a boring tanky sledgehammer build. Never ended up finishing it for this reason, any suggestions for an actually fun build?
Yeah sure. Any preferences or ideas of how you'd want to play?

Trashos

Arcane
maybe Aegis numbers is tied into this as well.

Since you are saying that this is not new, Aegis numbers is definitely tied to it. I have left 15 troops alive back in the camp (I checked with Briggs just before going to the Pirates), which is the most I have ever left alive.

(I make sure that I "defend" two native attacks before switching in order to bring Aegis numbers down. But this time Aegis did a bit too well in the 2nd attack.)

Tygrende

Arbiter
There's basically two ways to join pirates:
  1. By talking to Razor and bringing him an Aegis Patroller. This can be done regardless of whether you joined Aegis or not, but if you did, it has to be done before the professor was kidnapped. If you try asking Razor to join after that he will say it's very convenient you decided to join at this particular time and refuse. Can't join them after the kidnapping is resolved, either. Otherwise you can join them at pretty much any point in the game.
  2. During the negotiations if you pass a persuasion check.
Regardless of how you join, the Aegis raid is the first thing that is going to happen if Aegis is still alive. The very next thing you have to do is to kill enough of their jet ski patrolls, unless they already suffered enough losses. This can often happen on its own because they are getting their shit pushed in very fast by tribal invasions without your help.

Trashos

Arcane
By talking to Razor and bringing him an Aegis Patroller. This can be done regardless of whether you joined Aegis or not, but if you did, it has to be done before the professor was kidnapped. If you try asking Razor to join after that he will say it's very convenient you decided to join at this particular time and refuse.

It can be done right after the professor is kidnapped. That's how I always do it, I tell Briggs I am going to negotiate, I go to Razor, and ask him to join instead (at which point he asks me to steal a patroller). No persuasion check.

Trashos

Arcane
the Aegis raid is the first thing that is going to happen if Aegis is still alive.

This is the first time I ever saw the Aegis raid. It does not happen if Aegis numbers are too low. 15 sec troops alive, and it happens. Less than 10, and it doesn't. I am not sure where the limit is.

Tygrende

Arbiter
By talking to Razor and bringing him an Aegis Patroller. This can be done regardless of whether you joined Aegis or not, but if you did, it has to be done before the professor was kidnapped. If you try asking Razor to join after that he will say it's very convenient you decided to join at this particular time and refuse.

It can be done right after the professor is kidnapped. That's how I always do it, I tell Briggs I am going to negotiate, I go to Razor, and ask him to join instead (at which point he asks me to steal a patroller). No persuasion check.
Interesting, I'm 90% sure he refused to let me join at that point. Maybe there's another variable, or maybe it changed with some update.
the Aegis raid is the first thing that is going to happen if Aegis is still alive.

This is the first time I ever saw the Aegis raid. It does not happen if Aegis numbers are too low. 15 sec troops alive, and it happens. Less than 10, and it doesn't. I am not sure where the limit is.
Yeah by "alive" I really meant "there's enough of them left to do anything". In my experience they were usually already dead rather than low in numbers, they die out very fast if you're not helping.

Trashos

Arcane
Interesting, I'm 90% sure he refused to let me join at that point. Maybe there's another variable, or maybe it changed with some update.

Either that or possibly you convoluted the discussion too much when you tried it. Asking to join is the first thing I say to Razor (after asking him who he is, but before mentioning the professor), maybe it has something to do with it.

CHEMS

Scholar
What's up friends, long time no see, how you're doing? It's been a while since i play underrail, too busy lately and haven't got the chance do see the last great update. I'm gonna play with it a little bit now, thinking about a gunslinger build. Did you like the new update? So far i've just seen the GUI changes, but some stuff in the changelog sure seems that could chance the dynamics in a whole new way. Any cool new synergies? The refurbished uniques looks cool, glad they made them suck a little less, the only unique i actually enjoyed was the SYG SMG, apart my beloved XAL, of course. Cheers!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Grunker what difficulty did you play on and what was your build? Your narrative of the laborious showdown with Tchort made me feel for you, but I have to wonder… could you have just bee-lined Tchort and killed him in 2 turns - ignoring the tentacles and minions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker what difficulty did you play on and what was your build? Your narrative of the laborious showdown with Tchort made me feel for you, but I have to wonder… could you have just bee-lined Tchort and killed him in 2 turns - ignoring the tentacles and minions.

Dominating, Pistols (but Perception-based, so deffo weaker than the Versatility build). And no - that was the first thing I tried. Minimum four turns for bursting the eye (and that's with W2C ammo all buffs etc.).

CHEMS

Scholar
God damn, killing Wyatt was never so worth it. His revolver's now a fucking beast. My initiative basically gives me a free attack, with point shot i can shoot this 3 times a turn with no adrenaline, not counting if i use rapid fire instead of a normal shot. Damn. Can't wait to refurbish it, i think i can easily use this gun for most of the playthrough now.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Dominating, Pistols (but Perception-based, so deffo weaker than the Versatility build). And no - that was the first thing I tried. Minimum four turns for bursting the eye (and that's with W2C ammo all buffs etc.).

Ah, Dom. That explains it. I wish I had played on it, Hard became much too easy once my character got to level 16 or so.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Ah, Dom. That explains it. I wish I had played on it, Hard became much too easy once my character got to level 16 or so.

Yeah, after level 20 the game was definetely too easy. Before that though, I didn't really use pistols much tbh. I don't think the build is very fun to tell you the truth. Too little interaction and too little room for error. There's no real point where the game feels balanced, you go from weakling to overpowered.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Yeah, after level 20 the game was definetely too easy. Before that though, I didn't really use pistols much tbh. I don't think the build is very fun to tell you the truth. Too little interaction and too little room for error. There's no real point where the game feels balanced, you go from weakling to overpowered.
If you're looking for some build suggestions for subsequent playthoughs that are more fun, just let me know man.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

If you're looking for some build suggestions for subsequent playthoughs that are more fun, just let me know man.

Oh I'll be multitagging here when the time comes, don't worry. I've been looking at it and discussing it on the Discord, and I'm fairly undecided between Hoplite and a tanky build. I really like the flavor of Hoplite but I hate the way shields were implemented.

It won't be relevant for a long while though.

CHEMS

Scholar
So guys, anwser me this: there's this new NPC now who offers an alternative to the oligarchs questline... If i go through his quests, will it lock me out of getting the house or i can do his quests and then do the oligarchs as usual? I want to try it, his rewards look sweet, but my gunslinger is a real brainlet who could really use those benches. BTW, roflstomping the game with the refurbished revolver + bullet time + TM. I'm playing on hard because i'm a little rusty, but i still think i could have a breeze playing this on DOM.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Is it possible to make a somewhat durable build, without going full on immobile tin can? Or will you just get oneshot as usual unless you roll with 20 Con and the heaviest armour known to man.

CHEMS

Scholar
There's a tradeoff between mobility and damage/endurance and resistance. To me, the durable builds is the ones that don't get hit because everything is dead after my turn. Almost every build can be extremely durable if you can make a juicy shield (2000 energy+). Get one of each impact type and you're golden, running a glass cannon and laughing at everything bouncing at your shield until some sniper asshole tags you for 300 damage of screen and you reload your game with a sore ass and a hurt pride

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There's a tradeoff between mobility and damage/endurance and resistance. To me, the durable builds is the ones that don't get hit because everything is dead after my turn. Almost every build can be extremely durable if you can make a juicy shield (2000 energy+). Get one of each impact type and you're golden, running a glass cannon and laughing at everything bouncing at your shield until some sniper asshole tags you for 300 damage of screen and you reload your game with a sore ass and a hurt pride

it’s like that thing grunker was talking about where everyone went “noooo it’s not like that”

agris

Arcane
Patron

it’s like that thing grunker was talking about where everyone went “noooo it’s not like that”
Sounds like you got push back on hit and run? I also found HaR incredibly, life-savingly helpful for my sneaky smg bomb thrower.

My MC was also a glass cannon, but without any crafting feats or crazy skill investment, I had a 1200 capacity shield at end game that let me tank through the tough shit for a few turns if my kill rate couldn't keep up. On Hard.

Parabalus

Arcane
So guys, anwser me this: there's this new NPC now who offers an alternative to the oligarchs questline... If i go through his quests, will it lock me out of getting the house or i can do his quests and then do the oligarchs as usual? I want to try it, his rewards look sweet, but my gunslinger is a real brainlet who could really use those benches. BTW, roflstomping the game with the refurbished revolver + bullet time + TM. I'm playing on hard because i'm a little rusty, but i still think i could have a breeze playing this on DOM.

You can do it as usual, but you have to do him first. There's extra (minor) interaction if you do him, then do the oligarchs normally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom