Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
it’s like that thing grunker was talking about where everyone went “noooo it’s not like that”

It is only like that if you build it like that.

How do you tank the native villages? They do lots of mixed damage, CC & PSI.

Or the pirate base for instance.

CHEMS

Scholar
The natives are the only ones i could never tank with a energy shield. You can somewhat negate the crossbows with low impact shields but once they get you in melee range it's a reload because shields are useless against that. Psi it's not much of a problem if you kill the casters ASAP and there's not much of them around anyway. In other note: ap saving mechanics are really interesting, they make the early game smoother with the rats and what not, but since everyone gets this mechanic i can only imagine how cancerous the locust will be.

Trashos

Arcane

Generally, Bullhead for CC, and when I play tanks I also find the Tempered Electricity feat useful. But I haven't attacked all native regions yet, it will need some trial and error.

Don't know about attacking the Pirates at all, I join them. What is the issue there, EMP grenades? Just don't have anything charged on you. It is you, your CON, your armor, your feats, and your drugs.

Parabalus

Arcane

Generally, Bullhead for CC, and when I play tanks I also find the Tempered Electricity feat useful. But I haven't attacked all native regions yet, it will need some trial and error.

Don't know about attacking the Pirates at all, I join them. What is the issue there, EMP grenades? Just don't have anything charged on you. It is you, your CON, your armor, your feats, and your drugs.

Well, you aggro probably 20 or more easily, likely more. They have a mix of melee and snipers.

CHEMS

Scholar
Another huge blow to protectorate morale as motion fueled chems takes out a squad of 4 protectorate heavygunners with a single revolver without taking a scratch

They fear that crackhead strength

Trashos

Arcane
You are with the Drones? You have the Chemical Assault Unit on your avatar.
You cannot trust anyone these days...

Tygrende

Arbiter
Is it possible to make a somewhat durable build, without going full on immobile tin can? Or will you just get oneshot as usual unless you roll with 20 Con and the heaviest armour known to man.
If done right very tanky builds can still be mobile while immobile cans are near immortal, truly immortal in some cases. You only start sacrificing survivability when you want to get into "everything dies on turn 1" territory.

CHEMS

Scholar

Lorewise i don't like the drones, though their questline is more fun than protectorate's. I usually side with the protectorate for that sweet gun lube and better merchant, but since it was a random encounter with the protectorate patrol and you can just kill them with no consequence, i thought only about the free shit i would loot from them. Plus, i was high on motion, so it was not my fault, i'm a victim of the system. Chems dindu nufin.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Free Drones felt underdeveloped; after you wipe out the Protectorate rail outpost and their troop elevator in North UR, an assault on Ft. Apogee is the next logical step - but it never comes. Same for the Protectorate outposts around Core City Ring, or their carved out spot on the Core's docks. Attacking those should be part of the Free Drone's story arc, or at a minimum wiping them out should be recognized by the FDs.

CHEMS

Scholar

Lorewise i don't like the drones, though their questline is more fun than protectorate's. I usually side with the protectorate for that sweet gun lube and better merchant, but since it was a random encounter with the protectorate patrol and you can just kill them with no consequence, i thought only about the free shit i would loot from them. Plus, i was high on motion, so it was not my fault, i'm a victim of the system. Chems dindu nufin.

Can someone explain to me what I am supposed to do in this game after act 1 with the junkyard?
Everything opens up, but I keep feeling like i'm not supposed to be in the places I end up. What's the typical order to do things in after finishing the junk yard stuff?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Can someone explain to me what I am supposed to do in this game after act 1 with the junkyard?
Everything opens up, but I keep feeling like i'm not supposed to be in the places I end up. What's the typical order to do things in after finishing the junk yard stuff?
If you're playing Oddity you can go to the areas in and around Core City and level up 3-4 times.

If you're playing Oddity you can go to the areas in and around Core City and level up 3-4 times.
What's the general consensus on the better XP mode? I always played oddity because it was recommended, and I appreciate the idea of being able to get XP from exploration and what not, but it does suck when you get all the oddities from a certain enemy type and you get nothing for killing them after that.

Trashos

Arcane
Oddity is the infinitely better system and the way the game is supposed to be played, but if you prefer Classic, you prefer Classic. You are going to gain levels faster on Classic.

Since you are on Oddity currently, after Junkyard take a trip around the cities to find the oddities laying around. You can find the cities by ship or by train (also walking around, but that may take a while). You can also do some quick side quests while doing this. When you are done with this, remember that you have a main quest given to you by your boss and do it, and/or pay attention to the major quest in each city.

Exploration is generally recommended, but yes, the game won't take your feelings into account when deciding how to treat you.

Oddity is the infinitely better system and the way the game is supposed to be played, but if you prefer Classic, you prefer Classic. You are going to gain levels faster on Classic.

Since you are on Oddity currently, after Junkyard take a trip around the cities to find the oddities laying around. You can find the cities by ship or by train (also walking around, but that may take a while). You can also do some quick side quests while doing this. When you are done with this, remember that you have a main quest given to you by your boss and do it, and/or pay attention to the major quest in each city.

Exploration is generally recommended, but yes, the game won't take your feelings into account when deciding how to treat you.
I should love this game, that's what kills me. It checks off so many boxes. But... I can never get myself to keep playing after junk yard. The game is tight up to that point, with a fair amount of optional stuff to do, but it feels like a different game after you finish the junkyard. I've wandered around, done the core city arena stuff, killed some faceless dudes in a warehouse or whatever, fucked with a drill machine, killed lots and lots and lots and lots of bug monsters, but if just feels so aimless for some reason.

CHEMS

Scholar
You can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you survive, my friend. But if you're concerned about the main storyline, you should do what Tanner said and investigate what's going on on Rail Crossing and what the faceless are up to in Core City. It's an open world game, just enjoy the ride.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus, some shit suggestions here.

Corbin Dallas Multipass Easy solution. I always follow this progression after Junkyard.

Camp Hathor < Rail Crossing < Foundry < Core City < Expedition

With the addition of the ability to enter the Waterways, there are several cool places you can visit after Camp Hathor as well, peppering in visits and dungeons throughout your general progression till you hit the Expedition. This was how I played my first run through Underrail, and how I've played ever subsequent run. Everyone's different, but this always seemed the most natural progression for me, as the Opteonucleic Battery Blueprints are on the way to Camp Hathor, and it seemed logical to me to handle the minor issues of the station quickly before I went on to handling the big stuff. Following that, we head to Rail Crossing right away to find our missing compatriots, with a brief interlude at Foundry to get some resources before getting embroiled in the conflict there, and finally concluding at Core City, which is where it looked like all the action was going down considering the Faceless attack. If you follow this simple process, you'll have plenty of direction throughout the game, and it makes logical sense that your character would through the locations in this order.

As for the XP, Oddity is amazing, and hands down my favorite. No idea how people get so butthurt about Rathound Ears and Psi Beetle Brains no longer being claimable. As far as I know, you get little to no XP from killing them in classic once you get to a certain point, so doesn't that have the same effect? Regardless, if you ahve any questions feel free to ask.

Trashos

Arcane
I don't know, going to Camp Hathor first feels natural geographically, but ever since I moved to Dominating I find the mine quest to be the hardest of the city quests. In the sense that there is no systematic way to deal with the fucking burrowers at that point, you just try some shit and hope it works. (Unless you are willing to plant a ton of traps, I guess.)

If one doesn't mind the reloads the mine can be done fast, but I do mind.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know, going to Camp Hathor first feels natural geographically, but ever since I moved to Dominating I find the mine quest to be the hardest of the city quests. In the sense that there is no systematic way to deal with the fucking burrowers at that point, you just try some shit and hope it works. (Unless you are willing to plant a ton of traps, I guess.)

If one doesn't mind the reloads the mine can be done fast, but I do mind.
I do have a system though. Set up bear traps at the two choke points directly to the North and East of the mines entrance. Throw to gas grenades at said chokes and wait for them to bloom. Aggro the mine and sit back, letting the burrowers run into your traps as you sit out of range. Use incendiary grenades and flashbangs as forms of crowd control, and you've got the first level done. Use the exploding barrel to deal with the enemies on the second level, and kite the Warrior. Works like a charm for me.

Trashos

Arcane
I am mainly worried about the first level of the mine. I remember 3 choke points? West, East and Center? And last time I threw grenades in there, the burrowers from the side room also showed up. So it will need a ton of traps, as far as I can predict.

I will try it. Rail Crossing is much easier, though.

CHEMS

Scholar
I am mainly worried about the first level of the mine. I remember 3 choke points? West, East and Center? And last time I threw grenades in there, the burrowers from the side room also showed up. So it will need a ton of traps, as far as I can predict.

I will try it. Rail Crossing is much easier, though.
Bring lots of magnesium nades, the burrower spawns can fuck up your strategy because they'll eliminate your traps insta dying to them, leaving the path free for the warriors. The fire from the magnesium kills them before they reach your bear traps.

Jesus, some shit suggestions here.

Corbin Dallas Multipass Easy solution. I always follow this progression after Junkyard.

Camp Hathor < Rail Crossing < Foundry < Core City < Expedition

With the addition of the ability to enter the Waterways, there are several cool places you can visit after Camp Hathor as well, peppering in visits and dungeons throughout your general progression till you hit the Expedition. This was how I played my first run through Underrail, and how I've played ever subsequent run. Everyone's different, but this always seemed the most natural progression for me, as the Opteonucleic Battery Blueprints are on the way to Camp Hathor, and it seemed logical to me to handle the minor issues of the station quickly before I went on to handling the big stuff. Following that, we head to Rail Crossing right away to find our missing compatriots, with a brief interlude at Foundry to get some resources before getting embroiled in the conflict there, and finally concluding at Core City, which is where it looked like all the action was going down considering the Faceless attack. If you follow this simple process, you'll have plenty of direction throughout the game, and it makes logical sense that your character would through the locations in this order.

As for the XP, Oddity is amazing, and hands down my favorite. No idea how people get so butthurt about Rathound Ears and Psi Beetle Brains no longer being claimable. As far as I know, you get little to no XP from killing them in classic once you get to a certain point, so doesn't that have the same effect? Regardless, if you ahve any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks, that's pretty helpful.

What would you recommend for a build? I haven't beat the game yet, obviously. I definitely enjoy the crafting stuff, going to different shops looking for components and all that fun jazz. I don't love messing around with traps and grenades too much, not that I'm opposed to using them at all but I wouldn't want a build based around them.

CHEMS

Scholar
HOLY SHIT. That's all i'm gonna say. This update's filled with goodies. Saw this in Blaine's inventory, hammer builds are gonna be nuts with this thing, eletroshock hammers were already a beast, now explosive ones? I fucking love you Styg. Also, waist pouch belts that gives you one utility slot, merchantile boost and 50 carry weight? Best apparel in the game for me now, found it in Buzzer's inventory.

https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firecracker_Cap

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Also, waist pouch belts that gives you one utility slot, merchantile boost and 50 carry weight? Best apparel in the game for me now, found it in Buzzer's inventory.
that's it, I'm going back in

only now through you I found out there's a six shooter (never killed Wyatt), which had me building a knifey gunfu dude - the belt seals it, I'm doing it!!!!

CHEMS

Scholar
Also, waist pouch belts that gives you one utility slot, merchantile boost and 50 carry weight? Best apparel in the game for me now, found it in Buzzer's inventory.
that's it, I'm going back in

only now through you I found out there's a six shooter (never killed Wyatt), which had me building a knifey gunfu dude - the belt seals it, I'm doing it!!!!
I'm running a pistol build, after the last update the unique guns are waaaaaay better. Wyatts revolver now has a special hability that gives you a free shot if you have high initiative. Not only all uniques had their stats buffed, but you can refurbish them at Rail Crossing for even better stats. Playing on hard, i'm shredding everything with the revolver and now i got the bieretta which is very good now. Can refurbish it so it gets a silencer and extended mag. They reworked the ammo too. 44 explosive sucked ass, but now it makes real damage and AOE on top of it. Gunslinger builds were already OP when bullet time became a thing, but now they're even more powerful. Since wyatts gun now makes 45-75 base damage after refurbishment and has a crit chance of 23%, i'm now sitting at a flat 79% crit chance without any buffs from food or focus. It's a dex build so no scrutinous for me, still pretty good crits out of the bat with a revolver that hits like a truck. I think they buffed the shurikens too, don't remember them having the chance to stun and short circuit before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom