Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Hi guys - what's the best enhancement for an energy shield for a stealth, dodge/evasion knifer? I plan to make a dual low energy shield and a dual high one. I have circular wave amplifier, high efficiency energy converter and shield capacitor.
Always converter.
Amplifier lowers your shield's max hp, so it's worse than nothing in most circumstances. So the choice is between capacitor and converter, and converter is much better. Increasing shield max hp is much more useful than lowering the natural drain rate. The only time capacitor is good is when you're playing ironman and scared of having some freak accident so you want to leave your shield on in between fights. If you're playing normally it's safe to only turn it on when fights start, and if you're doing that converter is far and away the best option.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Hi guys - what's the best enhancement for an energy shield for a stealth, dodge/evasion knifer? I plan to make a dual low energy shield and a dual high one. I have circular wave amplifier, high efficiency energy converter and shield capacitor.
you want dual low as it got enough stopping power for high and very high ranged attacks..
Take enhancement that increases max damage stopped, or was it max shield meter? something like that

Hi guys! I finally managed to complete all the expedition content after a week or so (I have to burn my vacation days anyways so I had some time to play) and I wanted to share my thoughts.

First of all, there is only one single instance where Spider enemies are a mandatory fight and if you're lucky you won't even have to fight them.

-In the Horticulture center, once you descend to the Warehouse floor do NOT enter the western room (spider nest). Instead, go south to the cryo chambers and fight the strongmen. Inside you will find 1 herbicide gas grenade that will be enough to clear the vines in the upper floor and progress with the quest.
-When accessing the Nexus of Technology. Do NOT go thrugh the spider caves. Instead dock your ship in J6, then move 2 squares east through the marsh to L6 and in the eastern most section there is a dynamite wall that can be broken which will act as a shortcut to L7, the entrance to the NOT.
-In the Nexus, there is one unavoidable spider fight in security, lvl 7 (or 6, I don't remember). If you have the security keycard from the higher levels you can open the eastern and western doors to the spiders. This will trigger the strongmen to activate and they will kill ost of the insects. The biggest lair is to the south but I just mashed the space bar until combat ended. I felt sad that I had to put the handmaiden down but c'est la vie.
-In the JSHQ it depends on your build. Once I was naked, I stealthed until I found the Haxorr and then picked the lock on the door where my equipment was stored. I didn't have to go east to the spider lair for TNT. I guess I lucked there.
-To get to the Northern manufacturing facility, where the sub is located I parked the boat in Geyser Village and genocided the natives. Then went east and only fought the crabs and strongmen (individually, because I'm fucking stupid).
-Finally, I NOPED out of the LEMCO facilities, just sailed along the edge to L2 where the sub was parked.

-It also goes without saying that you should never go into any vent since it's a coinflips chance there will be spiders inside.

As for the Quarry and the Citadel of Life I have no idea. I sided with the Expedition instead of the Pirates so I had no reason to go there.

I also want to say that the sub section freaked me more than it should but I fucking loved the Abyssal station fights. When the shit hits the fan it's absolutely wonderful. For some reason when the spawn started falling out of the holes in reality I wasted too much ammo trying to fight them (I just could not hit them) until I started chucking incendiary grenades. Suddenly I could hurt them and my monkey brain went, "shadow creatures are damaged by light!" - so I died when I tried throwing flares at them.
The second time I though that the gates were there to stop the endless spawn so I rushed back criss-cross, locking the gates behind me. I was legit tense during the whole fight because I thought the station would collapse on me.

I accidentlly overlevelled on shadowspawn because I forgot the way back once I had the Torch. I kept shooting at the shadowspawn while trying to figure out where the hell the gate switches were located.

Finally, I gave the ACORN to the Occulus since the Protectorate is a no-no, Aran is a weeb, the doctor wouldn't know his asshole from a hole on the ground and I don't even know what SGS would use it for. I kept the Torch because it's mine and worth far more than the 6K charons Aziz would give me for it.

notpl

Arbiter
I really love this idea most players seem to have that Oculus isn't the most evil organization in the entire underrail.

As for the Quarry and the Citadel of Life I have no idea. I sided with the Expedition instead of the Pirates so I had no reason to go there.
Quarry has no spiders. Does have an excessive amount of all three types of serpents though, and then locusts on top of that. And it connects directly to LEMCO so once you get there it's back to spiderland.
There's no way into the Citadel of Life so that's not relevant. It's wrecked.

notpl

Arbiter
I really love this idea most players seem to have that Oculus isn't the most evil organization in the entire underrail.
Wait, what? I haven't been to the Deep Caverns yet, did I fuck up?
There's no new information about Oculus down there, if that's what you're asking. All you know about Oculus so far is that: they used you as bait - for some cheap thugs jack quicksilver could have easily annihilated himself, he simply didn't feel like it - the very first time you interacted with them, and your survival was simple coincidence. They perform murders for hire, and then subvert the only real old-world justice system that still functions as it should in the entire setting. They claim to be a preservationist organization devoted to information-gathering, but their membership is almost entirely composed of lethal psionic assassins. Their de facto leader is a cultist in thrall to an alien artifact. They cooperate with mysterious immortal non- or perhaps super-humans that murder casually. They possess the most advanced technology in the underrail but offer nothing whatsoever to society at large. You dismissed the protectorate and the expedition forces out of hand in favor of Oculus; why? The protectorate shelters, feeds, and provides medical treatment wherever they establish themselves. The expedition forces work for the university of Dis, the only functioning educational institution in the entire underrail that the game makes us aware of. Where are Oculus's hospitals? Its universities? Other than unsolved murders, what does Oculus contribute to anyone's lives in the course of the game?

Sykar

Arcane
Oh please, the "benevolence" of the Protectorate is just a front just like with Tchortists. All they care about is domination and they are not above literally pulling a holocaust on their opponents. No actually worse, at least the victims of the holocaust died fairly quickly, while the Protectorate condemns its gassed victims to eternal torment since mutants are basically immortal. All in all though there really isn't any "good" organization in this dog eats dog world.

Mauman

Learned
Oh please, the "benevolence" of the Protectorate is just a front just like with Tchortists. All they care about is domination and they are not above literally pulling a holocaust on their opponents. No actually worse, at least the victims of the holocaust died fairly quickly, while the Protectorate condemns its gassed victims to eternal torment since mutants are basically immortal. All in all though there really isn't any "good" organization in this dog eats dog world.
And yet I'd sooner side with them than the Free Drones.

Go figure.

Tigranes

Arcane
A hospital that is a front for domination is still a hospital. When the comparison point is a group with enough resources for 10 hospitals that declines to have any, you're probably glad for it.

"Is this organisation good?" is a pretty meaningless question in a situation like Underrail's.

Lios

Cipher
Yeah and various juntas across the world built roads, wow awesome.
Anyway, I love the fact that in Underrail there isn't an immaculate faction/organization, as far as I'm aware.

My point is not that the Oculus will do with the Acorn but what it can do. What does the SGS need it for? Opening tunnels? What would the protectorate do with it? Use it as a paperweight? The whole expedition is a front for the Protectorate and they kept feeding me the bullshit line about it being a device that helps traverse great distances, a teleporter if you will. At best they are clueless, at worst, they are keeping the only competent contractor in their army in the dark. Ezra may be a bro but I trust him as far as I can throw him after the Junkyard shit show/releasing the rock worms in the Foundry.
The Occulus does what any rational organization that stumbled upon a spaceship can do. Keep it a secret and manipulate a la Illuminati the little feuds of the Underrail stations. There is a very delicate balance between all the stations in the South and the Protectorate will just absorb everything, kill half of it due to bureaucracy and sell the other half to the Southerners because who knows? And what happens when Melek kicks the bucket? Do you think the North will be able to maintain the peace then? We would be back to Mad Max levels of anarchy and a bit closers to the True Death.

Speaking of True Death, are there any computers in the Black Sea with info on the Boatman? I know he says he's 70 but I call bullshit. If Abraham and Ezra are in their mid 200's I'm sure the old man is a Lemurian in disguise.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
And yet I'd sooner side with them than the Free Drones.

Go figure.
I fully agree, the Drones merchant is rather underwhelming.
Finally, I NOPED out of the LEMCO facilities, just sailed along the edge to L2 where the sub was parked.
FWIW, the LEMCO warehouse has 160+ quality components. Best of all locations in the expansion.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anyway, I love the fact that in Underrail there isn't an immaculate faction/organization, as far as I'm aware.

It does have an entirely superflous, boring one though: Free Drones

Richard Leaks

Educated
Face it, Tchortists were the only Good guys in Underrail, they organized a self-sustaining community that focused on improving humanity and actually sent medicine and helped outsiders on occasion.

Lios

Cipher

It does have an entirely superflous, boring one though: Free Drones

Becket = best hype-man of all Underrail.
"Boring", I suppose it depends on taste yeah, superfluous though? No way, as long as Protectorate exists, the Free Drones must also exist for the (pseudo? )equilibrium.

Sykar

Arcane
Yesterday I made my first non-stealth Psion who is wearing metal armour and enjoy good damage resistance and health unlike all my previous ones. As a bonus he gets max melee so he can finish off low health targets with his trusty soon to acquire power fist. Early game was surely harder than on my stealthy cave wizard though. Mostly because metal armour is not really available until you reach Junkyard.
Not gonna lie, there is a certain satisfaction being able to soak up a dozen hits and eating mines without dying instantly and blowing them up via Premeditation+ Mania +TK Punch. Or tanking the shit out of lesser opponents like rathounds, watching them helplessly gnawing at my shiny metal arse is amusing while I smash their teeth in. No need to waste PSI on these mongrels!

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Face it, Tchortists were the only Good guys in Underrail, they organized a self-sustaining community that focused on improving humanity and actually sent medicine and helped outsiders on occasion.
and they oppose the Faceless, who are an abomination

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom