Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
I hate Gorsky so much its unreal
Same, and yet I love Dan. It's puzzling.

Not puzzling. Dan is The Bro of Bros, Gorsky is a bitchy, arrogant whiner until you’re suddenly expected to treat him as a bro
Yes. Not to mention he simply bailed from SGS to try and get a piece of the action, not only a bitchy, arrogant whiner, but a pussy let down.

CHEMS

Scholar
how would someone build a sword/psi build? psi would be more supplementary, like a fighter/mage from dnd.
would a pistol with versatility fit in?
Pistols are DEX depended, swords benefit from DEX if you don't go the STR route. You could try a versatility pistol build with swords and TM, since you don't need too much WILL for it. You can just grab steadfast aim from the STR you'll need for swords anyway.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
1st step is trying to fit pistol in
2nd is realizing that you like pistols so much you want to max dex
3rd you ditch swords in favor of daggers since they have better synergy
4th you focux on pew pew pistols since they have better synergy with daggers
5th what psi?

razvedchiki

Erudite
how would someone build a sword/psi build? psi would be more supplementary, like a fighter/mage from dnd.
Pistols are DEX depended, swords benefit from DEX if you don't go the STR route. You could try a versatility pistol build with swords and TM, since you don't need too much WILL for it. You can just grab steadfast aim from the STR you'll need for swords anyway.

something like 5/8/6/3/3/7/6?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Something like the Undying TM Sword build is probably the best way to do this, since it actually has reason to pick Sword feats (well, at least Flurry):

Versatility with PSI is the build I played (I also intended to wield a sword), and it's very good, but a) like lukaszek said, you are better off with knives and b) you wont ever have a reason to pick any actual sword feat.

notpl

Arbiter
High strength, middling everything else, psychokinesis + force user/corporeal projection. Get some TM eventually for stasis. The main thing a sword build needs is a backup plan for when the flurry/onslaught train derails, so force field and stasis are both excellent. Swords are terrible until you get those feats, so it will begin life with a knife or sledgehammer. Corporeal projection force emission is also strong enough to carry you through the early game, even without high dex unarmed attacks are fast enough to devastate organic enemies. I played this for awhile until I got bored and abandoned the playthrough and it had no issues on Hard, can't speak for Dominating.

People always seem to want to maximize crit chance for sword builds but with high strength, onslaught and taste for blood your base damage gets so insane that it really doesn't matter, at least not nearly to the same extent it does for a knife build. As an added bonus you get to wear real armor and can take a few hits, something so few underrail builds get to enjoy. I don't see the point in muddying the waters with versatility, with corporeal projection your TK punch is a delete button for anything in LOS when you really need ranged damage.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
I just can get myself to enjoy sword builds, and i tried quite a lot. I don't mind rng, but swords get absolutely cucked over by rng. Just too frustrating.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Is SMG/stealth/grenadier build, without any cave wizard magic, still viable?

I've did a first and only run with it on hard/oddity and was having a blast - not a walk in a park, but nothing difficult either. It's been enough years to forget lots of quests, so I'm planning to go with the same build. My concern is that I've read that some of the patches nerfed the smart modules, making them useless with smg/rifles bursts?

Dat true? How viable are SMGs now? Will I do fine without psi?

I know y'all are playing on dominating, killing shit with kitchen knife, and may scoff at this, but this sounds like a serious nerf for high-dmg glass cannon build like SMG spec ops one.

Also, questions on the Expeditions:

1. Recommended level in order to not have it too hard/easy?
2. Is this one way ticket, i.e. you can't go back to the main map until you finish the expansion?
3. Does it tie to the main plot in any way, i.e. is there a suggested moment to start it (e.g. before hitting core city etc)?

notpl

Arbiter
1. 16+, but Expedition is the hardest content in the game so I don't think you need to worry about being overleveled for it. It's deliberately designed to fuck with a lot of builds, throws some outrageously tanky enemies at you that require specific tools.

2. Nah, you can come back immediately and go back and forth with impunity. I don't think the doom clock counts down while you're outside of the expansion area, either, because I left for weeks and weeks of in-game time and didn't come back to an immediate invasion or anything.

3. Not really, but there are requirements to joining the expedition that will soft-gate you naturally.

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Goddamnit, just when I was having a blast replaying this after beating it few years ago, I think I fucked up.

Did whole Junkyard, Camp Hathor mines, and went for Rathound King. Not sure about other difficulties (playing on hard), to get to his lair you need to pass one cavern filled with rathound alphas and one fucking crawler. Knowing by trial and error where the crawler was, on the way in I sneaked through the route around him. Killed Rathound King on the first try (like with my first playthrough, the game seems too easy for SMG build on hard, and too hard on dominating, but that's irrelevant here). Walking back to Camp Hathor in stealth mode, immediately when I enter the above mentioned cavern, the fucker attacks me just right on the first square near the entrance and kills in one turn. Are mobs wandering off-screen, or am I fucked, as this is the only way back?

High stealth is useless here, he still attacks in the first second I enter the area.
Winning initiative fight and trying to outrun him is impossible.
Starting combat manually after entering area and outrunning him is impossible, as he attacks the second I enter.
With glass cannon build and 3 con, there's no amount of savescumming I could survive this attack.

Am I fucked?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Walking back to Camp Hathor in stealth mode, immediately when I enter the above mentioned cavern, the fucker attacks me just right on the first square near the entrance and kills in one turn. Are mobs wandering off-screen, or am I fucked, as this is the only way back?
sounds like it was already following you, probably you managed to exit right as it was to attack

High stealth is useless here, he still attacks in the first second I enter the area.
can you put regalia on and have rats protect you while you wait poison out?

notpl

Arbiter
You can just come back later. When you leave an area with a monster already aggro'ed they will remain in place forever and always get initiative on you upon reload to avoid cheating, as far as I know.

notpl

Arbiter
If you're weak enough death stalkers will just kill you on round 1 rather than fucking around with the poison. If the guy really insists on killing it RIGHT NOW the best bet is to pop morphine and wear the heaviest armor he can get his hands on to survive its initial combo.

notpl

Arbiter
Ooooh, I thought he was coming from camp hathor, not going *to*. Yeah rip to that character.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Walking back to Camp Hathor in stealth mode, immediately when I enter the above mentioned cavern, the fucker attacks me just right on the first square near the entrance and kills in one turn. Are mobs wandering off-screen, or am I fucked, as this is the only way back?
sounds like it was already following you, probably you managed to exit right as it was to attack

Yeah, that was probably the case, him chasing me initially and stopped just before I've left the area. Don't have any miracle stuff on me, so it seems the only option is to put king's regalia, shoot motphine and pray I will survive first turn. Not to mention shoot antidotes and med hypos, while simultaneously trying to run to safe cavern.

Fuck this, one of the few modern crpgs that are actually good, and such shit must've happen. Worst part is I don't think I have stamina/time/attention span to start again, especially the whole Junkyard part.

Is there a some kind of cheat engine with god mode option built in?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of why the eternal aggro nerf was and is hot garbage: a stealthed enemy that the player wasn't even aware of when passing through can and will camp a zone entrance forever, possibly bricking a character completely unfairly.

Morons said:
B-but then people can ZONE CHEESE!

That's cheating, and people can cheat anyway with the use of a hex editor, or in any number of other ways. This guy's gonna have to cheat just to fix Styg's shit nerf.

You are all wrong, and so was Styg. He's still wrong, and has continued to deliberately choose to be wrong, which is the definition of ignorance; designing your game around every possibility of cheating to the detriment of normal gameplay is poor game design. Either let people who want to cheat cheat, or find a better fix. The current situation is retarded.

Conversations preempted and pre-concluded. I win them all in advance.

You'll have to use a memory sniffer (analyzes RAM usage for recognizable patterns) and a hex editor. I had to do this once a few years ago to fix one of Underrail's little eccentricities myself.

I believe CheatEngine can analyze the game's RAM in order to identify patterns, at which point you can use a hex editor to edit your save file.

Hex editor: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

It's been too long since I've done it for me to hold your hand through the process, especially to fix Styg's mess, but epeli might be able to tell you more.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah, that was probably the case, him chasing me initially and stopped just before I've left the area. Don't have any miracle stuff on me, so it seems the only option is to put king's regalia, shoot motphine and pray I will survive first turn. Not to mention shoot antidotes and med hypos, while simultaneously trying to run to safe cavern.

Fuck this, one of the few modern crpgs that are actually good, and such shit must've happen. Worst part is I don't think I have stamina/time/attention span to start again, especially the whole Junkyard part.

Something that has worked for me, although IDK if it has been patched out, is as soon as you enter the zone, press escape. The cooldown to start combat manually when you enter a new zone should continue to go down even though time is paused. Then, immediately press escape and enter, and you can go into combat. If combat doesn't start immediately, but a second after you enter the zone, this can work and it has worked for me previously.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is SMG/stealth/grenadier build, without any cave wizard magic, still viable?

I've did a first and only run with it on hard/oddity and was having a blast - not a walk in a park, but nothing difficult either. It's been enough years to forget lots of quests, so I'm planning to go with the same build. My concern is that I've read that some of the patches nerfed the smart modules, making them useless with smg/rifles bursts?

Dat true? How viable are SMGs now? Will I do fine without psi?

I know y'all are playing on dominating, killing shit with kitchen knife, and may scoff at this, but this sounds like a serious nerf for high-dmg glass cannon build like SMG spec ops one.

Also, questions on the Expeditions:

1. Recommended level in order to not have it too hard/easy?
2. Is this one way ticket, i.e. you can't go back to the main map until you finish the expansion?
3. Does it tie to the main plot in any way, i.e. is there a suggested moment to start it (e.g. before hitting core city etc)?
It is, and it’s awesome. I did my only run of the full game + DLC with exactly that char, hard + oddity. It’s a lot harder before level 12 than after. Knowing what I do now - like the right areas to be in for the power curve of the build - I think this can do dominating oddity just fine.

End game build: https://underrail.info/build/?HAMIC...UfChVMvTijioIoD4qKNA-KktgLip6oD4qicAeKxggHfvw

Lots of thoughts on it, you may want to read the OCD notes spoiler. Post.

1. I cleared the original game up to entrance to Institute before starting DLC. In retrospect, i should have started it earlier, like level 16 (on hard).

2. It is easy to go back and forth.

3. It does tie in, my only suggestion is to finish the DLC before you speak to the enigmatic leader of a genetic modification cult about advancement opportunities in his organization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom