Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tigranes

Arcane
In practice, a chem pistol is always a veyr occasional sidearm for a plasma crit build - both weapons have higher AP costs, you're a 3 DEX build, so it's only in specific situations that you want to acid entangle someone. That said, away from minmaxing and for the sake of fun, plasma crit has enough spare points all around the board that you can add it on for sure, or anything else. I've been trying out electroshock, Wyatt gun, chem pistol, etc. on the side and they're all fun enough if never essential.

No matter what though, there's no way anyone wants to take Aimed Shot at lv18 and take Pack Rathound at lv1. It's a free crit. And crit "chance" means something very different between a million shots per turn energy pistol versatility build and a one shot per turn plasma boy.

Also 55 bio surely if you want the crit path

Parabalus

Arcane
On which Expedition stuff are there (post)-DC comments?

Torch, the nut, anything else? Is it interesting?

Parabalus

Arcane
After years of ignoring plasma pistol as useless, I'm enjoying a dedicated plasma build. Almost feels better than a Sniper build in being able to fairly flexibly slam anything with 1 hit kills with a better damage type, and I don't really miss the additional distance capability. High INT is always nice too.

I still find electroshock's jumps annoying and unpredictable, and have been using Wyatt's gun as offhand - not sure what to transition that into now that it's starting to fall behind, maybe just chem pistols.
Funny though, my current build is just that. I can make it on the builder to show you, wanna?
I'm starting another run, gibs plz.
https://underrail.info/build/?HgMFA...tKyYnYjEqwpoCVlpLATPCkSnCpMK0woXip74K4qulBd-_

This build is made entirely around energy crits. By level 26 you can get 100% easily with focus stim (not counting crit reducing stats from tincans and turrets), this without even ambush proc. You should get the energy belt at the Institute to craft energy pistols with extra crit chance.

The Mad Chemist and Cooked Shot are there for flavor, because i enjoy chem pistols to much to not include them, but you can forgo that and dump dex to 3 so you can get +2 INT and 2 extra feat slots. PK to 45 so you can use Grounding (it's not skill dependant, you can enjoy it in its full potential with just the minimum requirement) and Imprint. I do recommend including the chem pistols, though.

This build can deal almost 1000 damage with a laser crit. By level 26, one aimed shot from the smart plasma pistol deals around 4k damage. Electropistols deal around 2k. Note that plasma pistols are not very good against Naga, but the eletro ones will shred them. You can make amazing shields with this build, not to mention power management giving you long lasting googles and cloak devices. Even though it's a 3 AGI build, i can get around around 250 effective stealth without too much hassle.

Gear:
Seeker Glasses / Smart Glasses for one shotting crap with Aimed Shot
Infused Rathound with Black Cloak
Large Waist Bag (for 1 extra utility slot and 50+ carry weight)/Electroinvestigative Belt (for 2 extra utility slots)
Black Tabis
Low Low Efficient Energy Shield for expedition, High High Efficient Energy Shield for basically everything else

Weapons:
Laser Pistol, enhancements:
Circular_Wave_Amplifier.png
High_Efficiency_Energy_Converter.png

Plasma and Eletropistol, enhancements:
Circular_Wave_Amplifier.png
Smart_Module.png

Acid Blob Pistols and Fire Blob Pistols (optional, but recommended)
my build was way cooler
your build was jewish

Point shot works with % special attack amplification right?

Think with ambush going for SI is overkill, since you have LTI+Stasis, then you could dump CON to 3, and spam special attacks instead with smart gear.
Big T dies to one aimed shot either way, right? And aimed electroshock clears packs.

PK is also great for proxy, triggers ambush at a low cost.

CHEMS

Scholar
Big T dies to one aimed shot either way, right? And aimed electroshock clears packs.
Probably on any difficulty below DOM an aimed shot could pop the ball

Ambush is there to carry you through early-mid game, non crit laser is like 20 damage, so i really need to crit

Parabalus

Arcane
You have 5 enemies lined up.

You are shooting an AR burst.

At which enemy do you aim to maximise enemies hit/killed? Does it even make a difference?
front row enemies.

Any proof? Or how big the difference is?

Makes sense, but I've often seen just the first target taking hits even though he died in the first two bullets.

Probably on any difficulty below DOM an aimed shot could pop the ball

Ambush is there to carry you through early-mid game, non crit laser is like 20 damage, so i really need to crit

I thought it would be enough on DOM too, how much resist does he have?

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You have 5 enemies lined up.

You are shooting an AR burst.

At which enemy do you aim to maximise enemies hit/killed? Does it even make a difference?
front row enemies.

Any proof? Or how big the difference is?

Makes sense, but I've often seen just the first target taking hits even though he died in the first two bullets.
Lazy to check on my end at the moment, but i had times where it hit people on the surrounding and other times it didn't.

Old Hans

Arcane
I just started this and I finished the beginning part where you turn on the outpost power, then I went south from the crossroads and got jumped by these 3 named bandit guys, and I soon as I got shot for like 54 damage, I knew this was bad news, so I ran away. then they proceeded to camp the zone line forever. so I started over, and this time they were not there. what the hell is going on

Parabalus

Arcane
I just started this and I finished the beginning part where you turn on the outpost power, then I went south from the crossroads and got jumped by these 3 named bandit guys, and I soon as I got shot for like 54 damage, I knew this was bad news, so I ran away. then they proceeded to camp the zone line forever. so I started over, and this time they were not there. what the hell is going on

There are some random events in the game, also random dungeons in the beginning.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Did they change the controls from 7 years ago? I remember starting to play Underrail and getting put off by the control scheme, but I'm replaying it now and it plays like a normal RPG.
Also, is the game designed for oddity xp in mind? I think I'm overleveled; I'm level 18 now and I just started the acid hunter quest.

It's strange how the game claims that normal difficulty is the way it's meant to be played on the selection screen, but doesn't mention that oddity is the intended experience system. It's not like there's no room to say that.
Also, fuck the gauntlet. Shit design. I bet the reward is trash too.
Gauntlet randomly picks four floors out of eight options. So sometimes it picks the good ones and it's fun and sometimes it picks the shit ones and it sucks. A lot of them get much easier if you have stealth too.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I just started a new playthrough. Am I imagining things or is everything bigger? The UI elements all look bigger (my resolution is the same as always) and the camera even looks closer to the action.

I just started a new playthrough. Am I imagining things or is everything bigger? The UI elements all look bigger (my resolution is the same as always) and the camera even looks closer to the action.
Yeah, a recent update changed it. Interface size is in the interface options, zoom is adjusted with shift+mousewheel. You might need to specifically enable zoom adjustment in video settings though, I can't remember if it's on or not by default.
The game defaults to partially zoomed in for some fucked up reason, no idea why. It even resets every time you restart the game instead of remembering the last used setting. I hate it. It's only a little thing but I still hate it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It's strange how the game claims that normal difficulty is the way it's meant to be played on the selection screen, but doesn't mention that oddity is the intended experience system. It's not like there's no room to say that.
Gauntlet randomly picks four floors out of eight options. So sometimes it picks the good ones and it's fun and sometimes it picks the shit ones and it sucks. A lot of them get much easier if you have stealth too.
So far it gave me the electric floor (bullshit), the siphoner one (would have been fine if there weren't like five of them on a single platform on the way to the elevator. I sniped and trapped my way through them but still), the burrower one (bullshit, can't even stealth through it because 10 spawn block the way when you destroy rocks), the web one (bullshit because the webs block the way to the containers. Other than that it's fine with a stealth character) and the box one (it's easy when you find out what they want) and the rathound one (murder closet but other than it's fine).

So far not a good impression.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, a recent update changed it. Interface size is in the interface options, zoom is adjusted with shift+mousewheel. You might need to specifically enable zoom adjustment in video settings though, I can't remember if it's on or not by default.
The game defaults to partially zoomed in for some fucked up reason, no idea why. It even resets every time you restart the game instead of remembering the last used setting. I hate it. It's only a little thing but I still hate it.
Do they still support the game? I would like more sprites. A lot of equipment looks the same on the character.
I don't mind the weapon sprites looking the same, but they could have at least given more armour sprites. Even fallout tried to do that.
Also, all NVG look the same regardless of lens, and it makes it hard picking out the right one. It's not like goggles where you know which is which.

Is it possible to make a build that makes heavy use of energy weapons and psionics?
Intelligence is good to have with psionics and it gives a hefty damage boost to energy weapons, but you still need perception for the guns stats so you can actually high with them and you still need will for psi. Splitting points between will, intelligence, and perception seems to be spreading the stats pretty thin, especially if you want dex for that AP reduction on light weapons.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Also, is the game designed for oddity xp in mind?

Yes. Use oddity.
Well, too late for that I guess. I'm already 40 hours in.
Maybe next playthrough.

that's like 1/20th of a playthrough
also gauntlet is king, just haul ass
Is it possible to make a build that makes heavy use of energy weapons and psionics? Intelligence is good to have with psionics and it gives a hefty damage boost to energy weapons, but you still need perception for the guns stats so you can actually high with them and you still need will for psi. Splitting points between will, intelligence, and perception seems to be spreading the stats pretty thin, especially if you want dex for that AP reduction on light weapons.
yeah, I recently built it like this https://underrail.info/build/?HgMDA...oKgIzSyHChU0pWsK0XcKkw5zCncKuwp7ip74K4qiSBd-_

I wasn't aching over the dex because you've got damage and crowd control out the ass once you get going, and high dex reduction for the electro and plasma is like an attack a turn or none if you're not APmaxing

Last edited:
So far it gave me the electric floor (bullshit), the siphoner one (would have been fine if there weren't like five of them on a single platform on the way to the elevator. I sniped and trapped my way through them but still), the burrower one (bullshit, can't even stealth through it because 10 spawn block the way when you destroy rocks), the web one (bullshit because the webs block the way to the containers. Other than that it's fine with a stealth character) and the box one (it's easy when you find out what they want) and the rathound one (murder closet but other than it's fine).

So far not a good impression.
You haven't even gotten the worst one yet.
https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/images/1/14/Cc_g2.png
Look at that shit. Just one giant maze of doors which all have an opening animation that takes too long. And they automatically shut after a while too. It's so fucking bad.
Do they still support the game? I would like more sprites. A lot of equipment looks the same on the character.
I think it's done. Even if it's not they're not going to add more sprites because it's too much effort.
Infusion's using 3d models and is meant to be better in that regard. Also it displays helmets and boots and has character customisation instead of everyone being white guy with black hair and normal build so that's nice. Or at least it will be when it releases in 2028 or whenever.
https://stygiansoftware.com/infusion/devlogs/3-real-time-3d-models.html
https://stygiansoftware.com/infusion/devlogs/5-character-model-customization.html

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I think it's done. Even if it's not they're not going to add more sprites because it's too much effort.
Infusion's using 3d models and is meant to be better in that regard. Also it displays helmets and boots and has character customisation instead of everyone being white guy with black hair and normal build so that's nice. Or at least it will be when it releases in 2028 or whenever.
https://stygiansoftware.com/infusion/devlogs/3-real-time-3d-models.html
https://stygiansoftware.com/infusion/devlogs/5-character-model-customization.html
I get his pain, though
you can still homebrew your own sprites and replacements, though
9XRcnxc.jpg

JvRFvya.jpg

Diggfinger

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/250520/view/5172978183027507645?l=english
4ce5cf989417b2db71d0823466eb37c157eee208.png

Hey guys,

We've partnered up with Makeship to produce bespoke Rathound plushies that can be yours for the low price of $27.99. This is once in a lifetime opportunity and, unfortunately, all unpurchased rathounds will have to be fed into Organic Processor, so your money is actually going to a good cause - to give one of these Biocorp mishaps a home.

Here's the link: https://www.makeship.com/products/rathound-plush

Cheers,

Styg

Ordered one but....

the project fell through, got cancelled :?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I've been thinking about crossbows, are they decent?
I tried using them a little bit in my current playthough, in fact I put some points into them, only to find that guns do everything they do but more, with the exception of stealth but guess what, a silenced smg with opportunist is incredibly effective if you ambush a lone target with a taser or traps.

It seems to me that you have to pair crossbows with traps (there are feats for that) or versatility so you can use a pistol, knife or smg as a backup weapon. But if you're doing that you might as well go full dakka or choppa. Maybe psionics, but then you'd just go full psi.

Also, how viable is a pure chem pistol build, or is it a support weapon and you're supposed to use a real gun / energy weapon after getting the debuff off?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom