Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

jackofshadows

Magister
It seems to me that you have to pair crossbows with traps
Not really, even though they synergize naturally, so to say. You can just stack up crit and obliterate everyone silently using special bolts. I've heared vers builds are nice too, yeah. Overall of course they are inferior to assault/smg in terms of raw power but to loud rounds, not to silent ones.
how viable is a pure chem pistol build
CHEMS

Crossbows are good. They're weaker than sniper rifles but the AP cost is way lower (pneumatic cyclon is only 14 AP per shot if you use the crossbow belt, while rapid spearhead is 26) so that makes up for it. You don't have AP ammo which is bad, but you have a variety of special bolts with different damage types so you can use them to get around armour instead.
You need to stack crit chance to make them good but it's not like that's hard. There are lots of ways to do that.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I've been thinking about crossbows, are they decent?
remember that throwing spears are better than xbows.

how viable is a pure chem pistol build
out of all 3 versatility pistols, ballistic ones seem the weakest? Chem pistol while strong requires minimal feat investment. Or to look at it in different lenses - rather than feats you need to up your chemistry and bio skills to gain access to cool toys

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Crossbows are good. They're weaker than sniper rifles but the AP cost is way lower (pneumatic cyclon is only 14 AP per shot if you use the crossbow belt, while rapid spearhead is 26) so that makes up for it. You don't have AP ammo which is bad, but you have a variety of special bolts with different damage types so you can use them to get around armour instead.
You need to stack crit chance to make them good but it's not like that's hard. There are lots of ways to do that.
Yeah, ambush comes to mind. That scales off Effective stealth, right? So you can get like +30% crit chance with 100 effective stealth. There's a scope that increases crit chance too. Can you get to 100% crit chance, outside of aimed shot that is?

Anyway, I'm using sniper rifles right now and they are pretty strong. Being able to one shot most targets is pretty great. As a back up weapon I use a uzi with spec ops (the burst fire reduction one) and commando. Turns out crawlers don't like shock rounds that much.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Spears are Expedition only, right?
yes

What do you do if an enemy gets up close to you though? Don't you have to swap to another weapon?
depends on build/flavor you pick. For thrown spears you max both melee and throwing. I went with 3 STR and max DEX so I couldnt do melee with spear itself. However I did have plenty of movement to just outrun everything. Or dont run since you mostly execute enemies by throwing while sneaking. Eventually you reach range where nothing will be able to aggro you.
Since its max dex and melee, you can pick single versatility feat and have very decent lazor/acid pistol. Or just continoue doing uber throws even against resistant enemies, can attest that it works on dominating fine

Tigranes

Arcane
I use a 4x speedhack in addition to the ingame boost, and use a hotkey to toggle off the speedhack as needed.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
yeah, and if you have Sprint, you can just keep throwing that on top of everything to move like Sanic out of combat

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Can I leave the Institute of Tchort at will? I know that you can speak to the intercom and just say that you have to visit your village, but can I take as much time as I want, or do I have a time limit?
I don't want to go off and do some crafting, some selling and some exploring only to come back and the game is like "lol no, you took too long, everyone is hostile now"

notpl

Arbiter
Also, what happens if you fail the interview and reveal yourself to be a spy? I know it makes everyone hostile, but then how do you complete the main quest? Or does the game just keep spawning rassophores until you die?
You can fight your way to the elevator and just go down to the caverns at will.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Also, apparently there's a late game area called Deep Caverns that the game keeps mentioning.
Am I right in assuming that it's just critters? Should I take riot armor and not vest?
I'm running a stealthy sniper boi

I guess I could use leather, but those resistances suck and I have like no dodge or evasion.

Yeah, ambush comes to mind. That scales off Effective stealth, right? So you can get like +30% crit chance with 100 effective stealth. There's a scope that increases crit chance too. Can you get to 100% crit chance, outside of aimed shot that is?
The crit chance scope sucks and you should never use it. Crit damage scope is much better.
It's pretty easy to hit 100% crit chance with ambush. 8% base, 12% from medium quality seeker goggles, 15% from focus stim, 20% from the nonscaling part of ambush. That's 55% already, so 150 effective stealth to hit 100%. 150 effective isn't that much. Later in the game you can get better seekers/higher skill/maybe infused rathound leather so you can stop needing focus stim too.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I'm using a q104 reaper stock with anatomical scope, bipod and rapid reloader, and it slaps about as hard as the old 12mm harbinger I found with Aimed Shot or Ambush. Snipe doesn't synergize too well with it though because it has lower raw damage.
I don't know about leather armor though. They seem to have the same armor penalty as tactical vests, but worse defenses. What am I missing?

Where do you even get high quality leathers? The highest I've seen drop so far is 64, and I'm doing the institute questline.
The max quality in vanilla is like 130, right?

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Where do you even get high quality leathers? The highest I've seen drop so far is 64, and I'm doing the institute questline.
as usual, from vendors, preferably with high enough mercantile

.Pixote.

Augur
How does this goddamn rune sketch work? It appears to be just a silly sketch that's doesn't lead me to any particular location! I don't feel bad slaughtering every smelly tribal after trying to workout their annoying graveyard crapola.

:dead:

Zeem

Learned
How does this goddamn rune sketch work? It appears to be just a silly sketch that's doesn't lead me to any particular location! I don't feel bad slaughtering every smelly tribal after trying to workout their annoying graveyard crapola.

:dead:
You just have to find the grave marked with the same rune. Nothing complicated about it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Where am I supposed to find high level black cloth? I checked with Fraser, I checked with Oculus, I checked with Tchortists and nothing.
Also, I found out that sniper rifle frames use 95% of their quality as opposed to the usual 80%. This might have messed over my calculations to determine how much crafting stats I need, and I just hit level 25 which apparently is the cap in vanilla. So I guess I'm not leveling up stats until I work out how much I actually need to craft high level gear.

For sniper rifles, is it better to go harbinger or reaper? I'm leaning towards reaper because I picked up critical power. Dealing 300% crit damage is pretty funny. Right now I'm hitting something like 700? I want to see if I can get it to 2k.
The problem I found with the reaper is that it doesn't one shot enemies if you don't get your crits off.

I like how the game doesn't scale with your level. I went back to the under passages and I stomped those stalkers who gave me a lot of trouble when I tried exploring down there.

Do the missions in Foundry and you can upgrade leathers to be super leathers that can be 120+ quality and also get extra bonuses compared to the normal version. Expensive as hell though.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Where am I supposed to find high level black cloth?
dont think you can without access to secret stock. From my memory drones, oculus and pirates could have it. Otherwise your best bet is waterworks. And DC obviously.

BTW with secret stock, you will likely get better black cloth tabi from oculus than whatever you can craft

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Where am I supposed to find high level black cloth?
dont think you can without access to secret stock. From my memory drones, oculus and pirates could have it. Otherwise your best bet is waterworks. And DC obviously.

BTW with secret stock, you will likely get better black cloth tabi from oculus than whatever you can craft
Don't have the DLC and I'm at war with the Drones, because the self-righteous cunts kept killing me when I told them how they're hurting Rail Crossing and not the protectorate with their bullshit.
Constantine has yet to supply black cloth.
That said, I do have such a high stealth stat now that it probably doesn't matter, but I really want those stealth bonuses for Snipe and Ambush.
Right now I think I have something like 130 stealth + 50 from ninja tabis and a tactical vest overcoat I found.
Do the missions in Foundry and you can upgrade leathers to be super leathers that can be 120+ quality and also get extra bonuses compared to the normal version. Expensive as hell though.
Oh is that how that works? You can't just find a Q120 leather? Makes sense I guess. I better drag those Q64 leathers out of the to sale locker then.

Still not sure if I want to make leathers or riot armour.
I read the Original Report and it seems that the Deep Caverns have a lot of toxic caverns and critters, so I'm not sure a tac vest would be all that useful. Maybe a hazmat riot armor with black cloak?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom