Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Andnjord dont you hate that 5 str? Sitting there? Doing nothing? Id hate it too.
But worry not, there is a solution: drop your sniper rifle, embrace throwing spears!
Spear str requirement doesnt matter for throwing. You will be dealing higher dmg too, one shooting most dominating bosses.
Yes, that PER is useless too, drop it to 3! Embrace max dex as solution to all your problems.
On top -> spear throw is silent, proper weapon for sneaky ranged build.

Jacov

Educated
Andnjord dont you hate that 5 str? Sitting there? Doing nothing? Id hate it too.
But worry not, there is a solution: drop your sniper rifle, embrace throwing spears!
Spear str requirement doesnt matter for throwing. You will be dealing higher dmg too, one shooting most dominating bosses.
Yes, that PER is useless too, drop it to 3! Embrace max dex as solution to all your problems.
On top -> spear throw is silent, proper weapon for sneaky ranged build.
Jokes aside, spears are cool.

Andnjord

Arcane
Sniper rifles are pain in the balls to start with, they become much better as the game goes on. Shooting spree is your bread and butter as a sniper, a must have.

I'd consider upping Dex to 6-7 and using throwing (Grenadier + Three-Pointer). It would be very good as support for sniper rifles. Crafted grenades are very strong (Mk.V HEs, Mk.III plasmas, toxic gas nades and magnesium/napalm molotovs). If your build is starved for feats, even just Grenadier makes a ton of difference.
Cheers, that's good to know. I'm going to get Expedition now for the Feat (I was going to buy it anyways) and just pretend its campaign doesn't exist, save it for a second playthrough. And guess I'll do another restart (last one, promise!) as I had somehow missed the feat Recklessness and taken the feat Kneecap Shot (I though it might be useful, but quickly realised I could never really make use of it. Might as well do it now that I've essentially only finished the extended tutorial, so it shouldn't take long go blast through it quickly again.

Jacov

Educated
Sniper rifles are pain in the balls to start with, they become much better as the game goes on. Shooting spree is your bread and butter as a sniper, a must have.

I'd consider upping Dex to 6-7 and using throwing (Grenadier + Three-Pointer). It would be very good as support for sniper rifles. Crafted grenades are very strong (Mk.V HEs, Mk.III plasmas, toxic gas nades and magnesium/napalm molotovs). If your build is starved for feats, even just Grenadier makes a ton of difference.
Cheers, that's good to know. I'm going to get Expedition now for the Feat (I was going to buy it anyways) and just pretend its campaign doesn't exist, save it for a second playthrough. And guess I'll do another restart (last one, promise!) as I had somehow missed the feat Recklessness and taken the feat Kneecap Shot (I though it might be useful, but quickly realised I could never really make use of it. Might as well do it now that I've essentially only finished the extended tutorial, so it shouldn't take long go blast through it quickly again.
Fuck, I completely forgor that Shooting Spree is from Expedtition. Sorry! You can complete the game without it if you don't just specialize in sniper rifles and have other sources of damage in mind (throwing from example above + crafting custom ammo).

My advice: make hard save before each level up.

Andnjord

Arcane
Too late! Besides, it’s only 10 bucks that Styg richly deserves. It will also take away the temptation of doing the same build but “this time with Shooting Spree” when I do my inevitable second playthrough.

And yeah, good point about the hard save before lvl up.

Andnjord

Arcane
By the way, am I crazy or did the original release not have the (M)ap or the Fast Forward feature (that one in particular is a godsend)?

Anyways, just finished the Depot A and by Jove was that a rough one just like I remembered it (except for my later energy pistols build, that one was OP).. It didn’t help that the best sniper rifle frame I could find was only quality 15, but Grenadier came in clutch and so did the bear traps so we pulled through. I am almost proud of myself that upon seeing the acid spitting mutants my first reflex was to craft an acid-resistant armour, it had been so long I hadn’t played a cRPG but it seems some things just become second nature.

This game sure was some majestic Incline, I don’t feel bad at all throwing an extra ten bucks Styg’s way, he’s reminding me why cRPGs were my favourite genre:incline:

Andnjord

Arcane
Yeah, they were added later.
Aight, good to know I’m not crazy. While I could do without the Map, I have memories of cycling back and forth between the big city and that foundry place without the fast forward and that was pain incarnate, thanks Styg.

Last edited:

Sweeper

Arcane
You know what's fucked up? LMGs are gonna remain OP, and miniguns are gonna remain underpowered, and we'll start thinking that that's it, no more balancing, this is it, it's the final version of the game.
And just as we begin to think that Styg's gonna slap the game with the buff/nerf.
Is this game good? I saw the Sseth review.
It is considered one of the best RPGs of 2010s.
I'd prolly go even further than that, but I refuse to elaborate on my tastes so I'll just say it's really, really fucking good and leave it at that.

Andnjord

Arcane
Lvl13, FINALLY found a Spearhead sniper rifle frame (to use with Strafe so I can shoot twice per turn with adrenaline shot and move and shoot without having to rely on that SMG I found back a Depot A) and of course it requires one (01!) extra point in mechanics to craft than I have. Styg, why do you hate me so much. :negative:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Lvl13, FINALLY found a Spearhead sniper rifle frame (to use with Strafe so I can shoot twice per turn with adrenaline shot and move and shoot without having to rely on that SMG I found back a Depot A) and of course it requires one (01!) extra point in mechanics to craft than I have. Styg, why do you hate me so much. :negative:
AFAIK under pie can be found in one of Junkyard food vendor's stock sometimes, gives +3 to all skills for short time so perfect for cases like yours.

Andnjord

Arcane
Oh yeah, got me a new 12.7 Harbinger with smart module and bipod for Shooting Spree openings (tested it at the shooting range and Snipe can do 1200 damage so far) and a 7.62 Spearhead with rapid reload, barrel retractor and Strafe feat (no longer melee dudes ambushing me will be a death sentence) for moving around and shooting twice per turn with an Adrenaline shot or RR procs. Time for some hardcore dominating :incline:

Incidentally, we used to have this guy, Pope Amole or something, that used to post some pretty cool build videos here and for Pathfinder: Kingmaker, had a strong slavic accent. Anyone remember him? Can't seem to find him on Youtube or this thread.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Dude's still on YT I think, look for Nerd Commando. He posted some builds there but it was ages ago, pre-Expedition era, some of them are probably sub-optimal now.

Andnjord

Arcane
Dude's still on YT I think, look for Nerd Commando. He posted some builds there but it was ages ago, pre-Expedition era, some of them are probably sub-optimal now.
Oh yeah, that was him. Looks like he has taken down his Underrail videos for whatever reasons though. Oh well, I remember those being quite fun to see their logic unfolding.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Dudes, I'm doing first DOM run and got stuck on the Gorsky/Protectorate warehouse quest - as soon as I exit the vent I am getting raped by death stalker. Lvl 14, SMG/DEX build.

Any tips? :negative:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Dudes, I'm doing first DOM run and got stuck on the Gorsky/Protectorate warehouse quest - as soon as I exit the vent I am getting raped by death stalker. Lvl 14, SMG/DEX build.
There's other vents you can pop out of. There should be one that has no crawlers in it. Go to that one, throw a flash bang. That will draw out a Protectorate guard and he'll fight the bastards for you.
That's how I do that area, I don't bother fighting the crawlers because there's like 6 of them and because they're cheating bastards they can teleport behind walls.

Well, actually I leave the vent that's connected to the rest of the rooms, and throw the flashbang before quickly running back into the vent as normally there's not a crawler there right away. It should work in that one closed off room though; flashbangs are bloody loud.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
hat will draw out a Protectorate guard and he'll fight the bastards for you.
this, Piotrovitz sounds like you have gotten far in dom run but you didnt discover the joy of pitting strong enemies against each other. Its one of best things that DOM got to offer.

There is also power gaymer move that you might find useful as you play: abuse their ai so that they keep reentering stealth each turn. But I do feel you, low dmg pittied against high armored enemy with regen is brutal

Piotrovitz

Savant
Damn, haven't thought that throwing flashbang in the gated room will wake up the guard that far away - I may have survived the initial difficulty spike on DOM, but am still far away from being gud.

Anyway, the problem is that the Protectorate guard is getting raped too:

bes48Zj.jpeg

iyeqQ1c.jpeg

X mark the rape zones - I can pop out from the middle vent and kill the stalker in the NE toilet room, but this doesn't get me anywhere.
NW = rape
SE = rape

I'll try to use the flashbang trick and reload until the guard will hopefully get at least one stalker.

The only other way I can think of now is to go into tin can mode with some heavy armor (took 7 STR for full auto) and hope that after surviving initial hti I'll be able to pop the fuckers myself.

Andnjord

Arcane
If you can survive the initial surprise buttsex from the top spot on your map you should be able to run to the room south of it (the one that leads to the guard), close the door, stealth and de-aggro the stalker.

At least that’s what I just did on normal, not sure how that would work on dominating.

But damn those stalkers are nasty. I’ve had an unholy terror of those fuckers until now, maybe now that I have a usable move and shoot weapon things might be different. Nope, now I've met Death Stalkers and those fucking things can go suck on a dick. HOW are they even able to ambush me when I have 160 effective stealth at lvl14, jeebus.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom