Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Andnjord

Arcane
Query, how many points in pickpocketing to do you need for it to be useful?

CHEMS

Scholar
Around 40 will allows you to steal ammo and some oddities reliably, around 60 you can steal harder oddities like the Pen from JKK members, around 100 you can pretty much steal anything but it's not worth really. If a NPC has goggles that enhance detection you won't be able to steal shit. The only reason to raise pickpocket around 100 is to see the interaction with Ethan when you steal his amulet.

https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pickpocketing

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Around 40 will allows you to steal ammo and some oddities reliably, around 60 you can steal harder oddities like the Pen from JKK members, around 100 you can pretty much steal anything but it's not worth really. If a NPC has goggles that enhance detection you won't be able to steal shit. The only reason to raise pickpocket around 100 is to see the interaction with Ethan when you steal his amulet.

https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pickpocketing
this page is not really up to date.

Somewhere, somewhen in this thread I did provide expedition friendly rough thresholds to meet in order to get oddities. If you are willing to waste an hour or so, you might be able to find it. Id suggest starting with learning how to run proper query in google search engine surgically scoped to this thread, looking for my username and some specific keywords

Andnjord

Arcane
Id suggest starting with learning how to run proper query in google search engine surgically scoped to this thread, looking for my username and some specific keywords
Or use the Codex search function ;)

EDIT: Jeebus you did post a lot in this thread!

EDIT2: Nope, searched for oddities and pickpocket and didn't find anything.

Piotrovitz

Savant
I got around 55 and this is sufficient to steal either 1-2 stacks of ammo, adrenaline/morphine/health hypo, or some cash.

Oddities are tricky, depends on who you stealing them from. E.g. the Protectorate one I had no issue grabbing from first random guy. JKK and Free Drones ones were harder, 55 was too low for most of them but with some luck I found some npcs with lower detection (or PER?) that I was able to steal them from.

Andnjord

Arcane
This one was pretty funny:

41enWWc.png

In the dungeon just south of Junkyard to rescue that wounded dude's girlfriend, the place was absolutely crawling with bugs. But, as I had just made a tungsten metal armor with triple steel renforcement from a quick trip to the foundry, I was completly immune to their attacks, I could just stand there mowing down wave after wave of bugs to the sweet sound of Dakka. The only damage I took was from grenading myself to clear out the spawns once they'd get too numerous to save on ammo. Pretty satisfying after the pain and suffering of Depot A.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Id suggest starting with learning how to run proper query in google search engine surgically scoped to this thread, looking for my username and some specific keywords
Or use the Codex search function ;)

EDIT: Jeebus you did post a lot in this thread!

EDIT2: Nope, searched for oddities and pickpocket and didn't find anything.
I probably purged it at some point then. tried to look at my various saved notes, looks like I were putting 60 points into max dex character and I assume there was a reason for that, mind you its for DOM

Piotrovitz

Savant
Ok, am currently almost lvl 20 and finished most quests in lower underrail and ready to set to Expedition - the only left are Balor, who shouldn't be a prob at this stage, Invictus (also should be doable, will probably suck all my W2C bullets dry), last Drones quests, and the fucking Beast, which I'm dreading and don't want to even attempt it now. Is there any other way on DOM than dozens of bear traps and gas grenades spam?

Got lucky and Oscar spawned ~150 steel cat and jag frames, now just need to farm rapid reloaders and I'm setting to black sea.

Is there a huge diff spike in Expedition on DOM?

Last time I've tried it on Hard I dumped the whole playthrough maybe halfway because there was no challenge left and I was going on autopilot, using unique SMGs with special ammo just for the lulz etc and eventually got burned out.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Eh, I don't quite agree about W2C Rounds. Those are only really good against Crabs and Robots, imo. You'll mostly be fighting natives and spiders who don't have much armour but chunky health pools. I'd actually advise taking Hollow points.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Ah, good to hear that there'll be finally some use for JHP rounds.

In base game they were always kind of useless, as enemies without high DT usually drop fast anyway.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Ah, good to hear that there'll be finally some use for JHP rounds.

In base game they were always kind of useless, as enemies without high DT usually drop fast anyway.
You'll still want a good supply of AP rounds too. Serpents have fairly good armour and you'll be fighting a lot of them. You'll want to kill Wyrms fast because...well, you'll find out, they aren't fun to fight and are why most players don't bother with the Tepid Swamp (unless you really want a Spas-12 and some free super steel plates)

It's just that expedition will throw hordes of natives at you so it may be prudent to take even more JHP to kill them quickly, as they tend to have poor armour, with the exception of snakemen.
Also, take bio and acid resistance and a lot of antidotes.
You should also do Dude's quest before going to the black sea. It will make resupplying a lot easier.

Eh, I don't quite agree about W2C Rounds. Those are only really good against Crabs and Robots, imo. You'll mostly be fighting natives and spiders who don't have much armour but chunky health pools. I'd actually advise taking Hollow points.
There are a lot of crabs/robots though. Too many, really. Expedition really likes spamming enemies. There are a bunch of types but they all get spammed hard.

Piotrovitz

Savant
You should also do Dude's quest before going to the black sea. It will make resupplying a lot easier.
Yeah, I recall lots of bio dmg flying around, will probably craft some biohazard vest.

Never bothered with second of Dude's quest, found it a chore - how does finishing it help with resupplying? I looked at wiki but can't find anything re that.

Andnjord

Arcane
Dominated Carnifex on hard difficulty in one round last night, tasered him after he (mostly) bounced off of my 70%-35 mechanical DT protection and proceeded to unload two full bursts of my LMG at 67% hit chance with Concentrated Fire into his face. :incline:

A far cry from the sniper build on normal difficulty where I had to heavily reload until I would both resist the thrown net AND stun him with a flashbang (I hadn’t discovered the joys of the taser yet) in order to be able to run away and stealth out to Snipe him to death.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I recall lots of bio dmg flying around, will probably craft some biohazard vest.

Never bothered with second of Dude's quest, found it a chore - how does finishing it help with resupplying? I looked at wiki but can't find anything re that.
It unlocks teleportation. Remember those blue marking on the floor through the game? Those are teleportation sites. There's one in your house's basement and one in the Aegis Camp lighthouse in Black Sea

Piotrovitz

Savant
DOM Carnifex went down in 2 turns thanks to crappy taser crafted with ~20 electronics.

Fuck, this feels almost like cheating, taser's effectiveness should be toned the fuck down and tied more to the components quality (iike wiki says)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is taser added by Heavy Duty? I don't think I've ever encountered one of those.

CHEMS

Scholar
Take both. On domination the health buff on the robots will demands lots of bullet, SMG builds are ammo hogs

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
last time I played underrail was at the release dont even remember did I finish it with normal or hard difficulty

so domination is pretty much no go for "blind playthrough"? (I don't remember anything anymore) guess I should pick hard then. I did full psi build last time which if I recall correctly was way too strong

I probably do sniper/stealth build first with hard difficulty and later replay domination with some melee build

few questions:
1. how useful pickpocketing is for oddity playthrough?
2. how much I gimp myself if I skip all psi related skills? I don't want to check wiki too much to see how useful those skills are

figuring out build + checking all feats probably takes 1 or 2 hours to spot most useful ones so I can plan attribute distribution

Andnjord

Arcane
so domination is pretty much no go for "blind playthrough"?
From my own experience even hard will kick your ass something fierce, especially as a sniper build (which is what I did for my own normal playthrough) which starts out pretty slowly and only gets going once you have shooting spree at lvl 10 at a minimum.

figuring out build + checking all feats probably takes 1 or 2 hours to spot most useful ones so I can plan attribute distribution
To ease your pain a little, the feat menu has a pretty good search function where you can filter out the feats with keywords like “stealth”, “sniper” and “guns” in your case. You can search for feat names, skills and attribute required, weapon types etc etc.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
was faster than I thought only took 20 minutes

5 str (no idea how much str sniper rifles need but can add 1 or 2 str if needed later), 6dex (traps/grenades still undecided which or both), 6agi (sprint op, not sure about interloper which is 7agi), 3con, 10per, 3will, 7int (7 int seems to be breakpoint for most crafting related feats + gun nut)

start with aimed shot + sprint

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
so domination is pretty much no go for "blind playthrough"?

I played 100% blind except for planning out my build. Was great. There were a few VERY hard parts of course, but in my experience as long as you have stealth, there's nothing you won't be able to overcome, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom