Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Jacov

Educated
lvl 10 now should probably skip some non important skills (diplomacy, pickpocketing, mercantile) and pump crafting skills more now. also I got 0 points in dodge / evasion should probably dump some points into evasion
sniper rifle feels pretty trash compared to other guns but I see how far that takes me (you rarely get enough distance to take advantage from full range)
burrowers can fuck off
pretty much every enemy 1 turn kills me which is fine but requires a lot of f9 spam sometimes

went to rail crossing first but got filtered by burrowers so getting some upgrades in core city now before I can handle em (don't want to kill faceless gang)
If you are playing on Dom, don't bother taking evasion from level 10. To make it viable on Dom you have to invest heavily in both the skill and items.

Don't ditch Mercantile completely. On higher levels it expands merchant stocks (bunch of good stuff but most importantly best quality crafting components).

You can kill Faceless in Rail Crossing and not get any consequences as long as the Mindreader lives.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
:shredder:
1717856420768.png

had to wait 1 more level so I could get hacking to 90 (electric spiders did not want to fuck with those)
easy fight since u can fight bot + culinarian separately no range attacks so bear trap spam makes it easy

other than early game beetles the hardest fight (that I did not skip) was probably botsmith in water treatment plan took like 10 tries

Andnjord

Arcane
I thought I’d try Classic instead of oddity for this run and I’m seeing a big difference in xp gain, is this normal? On the Normal, Oddity run I was lvl21 when I went into Deep Caverns, whereas now I’m already lvl21 and I haven’t fully completed the lower Underrail just yet. I know I had missed a few quests on the Normal run (the whole Abraham into Occulus quest line for example) and there are more enemies on Hard than Normal, but is that enough to justify the difference? Or are Classic vs Oddity just not that balanced against each other?

Jacov

Educated
I thought I’d try Classic instead of oddity for this run and I’m seeing a big difference in xp gain, is this normal? On the Normal, Oddity run I was lvl21 when I went into Deep Caverns, whereas now I’m already lvl21 and I haven’t fully completed the lower Underrail just yet. I know I had missed a few quests on the Normal run (the whole Abraham into Occulus quest line for example) and there are more enemies on Hard than Normal, but is that enough to justify the difference? Or are Classic vs Oddity just not that balanced against each other?
Classic offers a more stable flow of XP whereas Oddity gives XP out in spikes. So at some points you can be underleveled on Oddity compared to Classic depending on your build. I like Oddity because if forces you to thoroughly explore and do as much stuff in the game as possible, but sometimes it can be tedious.
On Classic, I don't even need to do the expansions to hit max level. On oddity, I'm desperately trying to remember where the fuck was that one oddity, and end up getting max level at Deep Caverns :)

Also, fuck Fetid Marsh. Styg hid too many unique oddities there.

CHEMS

Scholar
If anything, taser should be toned the fuck down now and it's effectiveness tied to the quality of components used.
Don't give Styg ideas...

lvl 10 now should probably skip some non important skills (diplomacy, pickpocketing, mercantile) and pump crafting skills more now. also I got 0 points in dodge / evasion should probably dump some points into evasion
sniper rifle feels pretty trash compared to other guns but I see how far that takes me (you rarely get enough distance to take advantage from full range)
burrowers can fuck off
pretty much every enemy 1 turn kills me which is fine but requires a lot of f9 spam sometimes

went to rail crossing first but got filtered by burrowers so getting some upgrades in core city now before I can handle em (don't want to kill faceless gang)
My milestones on dominating are:

Lvl 6: Rescue Newton
Lvl 9~12: Start tackling depot A
Lvl: 14~15: Start doing quests around underrail, early oligarch missions
Lvl: 16~18: Build usually come up online at this point, finish oligarch quests, kill the beast, grey base and arena
Lvl: 20 and onwards: Expedition and post oligarch stuff

CHEMS

Scholar
There's more than enough odities in the game for you to hit the lvl cap. Last time i've played classic i hit 30 in the Deep Caverns, oddity makes so your leveling curve is smooth and constant throughout the game. I don't think classic is cheesy since as you level up you get less XP for killing enemies. Still classic XP rewards at the institute are way too big compared to oddity.

I like oddity better, leveling feels way more rewarding.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Oddity seems wacky in theory but the way it's implemented makes it one of the coolest leveling system out there.

I'm getting kind of bored with SMGs - easy build to get it up and running, but lack of active feats combined with constant w2c ammo shortage on DOM makes it less and less fun. Don't have stamina/time for restart so I'll probably go on with it, otherwise I'll never finish Expedition.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I'm getting kind of bored with SMGs - easy build to get it up and running, but lack of active feats combined with constant w2c ammo shortage on DOM makes it less and less fun. Don't have stamina/time for restart so I'll probably go on with it, otherwise I'll never finish Expedition.
one does not finish with unfun build. Finding the one build is of highest priority. Finishing game is optional.
Im always there for you to explain what is fun vs not

Piotrovitz

Savant
But killing, and by extension, combat feels less rewarding.
On oddity you also kind of gain xp through combat, as most types of mobs drop something unique to them.
The upside is that once you get all oddities unique to given mob, there's no reason to engage with them anymore, meaning no xp farming, which is always good.

It's among the stronger builds in the game. Bullet Time is bonkers. Go for it.
It's more of a question of general fun of the build, how you play it, how often you need to use different consumables/utilities, change tactics etc.
AR tin can build is probably also strong regardless of diffuculty, but also boring as hell in practice.

With SMG I'm mostly running around and mowing stuff down with multiple bursts per round, ocassionally starting the combat with molotov. No special attacks, no need for caltrops/bear traps etc. I've put some points in biology for the focus stims, crafted like 20 of them but never used one. Temporal acceleration + adrenaline and most of the fights are over (not saying it's god mode though, tougher fights require some reloads).

jackofshadows

Magister
Vers builds as your suggested gunslinger one are fun because you always have the melee option, at least early on unless you invest in some melee-oriented feats later on. Also you'll have all other pistols at your disposal anyway, including lazors. So you'll have a lot, a lot of potions always even though a trusty hammer 44 will be probably the best most of the times. But it's a same all-in offence type of build as your SMG one. Maybe you want to try something entirely different, like spear thrower or something.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, all things considered it probably won't be that different in the long run from vers/SMG one, just some spice added like using unique ammo or active abilities. To have entirely different exp I'd have to go with pure cave wizard or spears like you said.

Was thinking about shotguns too, as there're lots of feats for those - are they any fun for DOM?
How do you play them anyway, as a tin can or rather something similar to stealthy close combat light armored run n' gun SMG?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
It's more of a question of general fun of the build, how you play it, how often you need to use different consumables/utilities, change tactics etc.
3 pistol types rated by feat requirements:
chemical << energy << ballistic

as such you can easily pair chemical and energy with melee, basically doing both at the same time. ITS FUN. If you want to adapt your tactic endlessly -> this is it.
Chemical vs energy is picking regular vs crit attacks.
Whats best about energy is that it comes online before depot a. Chemical could too but good luck getting chemical pistol by then.

With both chemical&energy you dont need expose weakness. Its not just about free slot but rather you dont have to get in melee range ever. Unless its your choice. I found ballistic pistols quite limiting in that regard.
With ballistic pistols you want to always be in melee range.
You will find yourself switching to lazor/chemical often to deal with pesky resistant enemies. Eventually you will start to wonder why you didnt focus on those to begin with. And restart.

Crafting:
if you want chemical + melee, then you pair it with claws. Claws are fine without crafting, but you must craft your chemical wpn.
lazor + melee -> both are crit focused. With heavy duty there is an amazing lazor option so you can skip crafting that one(frees up feat too). Sadly - knife still needs to be crafted. You will likely craft lazor gun anyway due to tech gadget - mind you that crafting something better than unique lazor is going to be hard(from memory you need q155 lazor emiter to break even?)
ballistic + melee -> There are great unique guns, could skip crafting on those. Can go either crit or not, if you go no crit then grab a claw so you can skip crafting completely.

Im always there for you to explain what is fun vs not
laz0r + knife are most fun.

Piotrovitz

Savant
lazer/melee sounds ultra fun, maybe that's the way to go.

Appeal of ballistic pistols lies in good selection of unique ones and that's a huge thing for me. Gun crafting is boring, as you always end up with the same stuff, e.g. 7.62 muzzle break/rapid reload jag etc, it all comes down to farming frames. Uniques add extra flavor, even if they're often suboptimal.

What about shotguns, is there any depth to their builds or is it just a feat-hungry variety of AR tin can?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
beast is not a fun fight with sniper :-D guess I come back later and bring 200 consumables

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
beast is not a fun fight with sniper :-D guess I come back later and bring 200 consumables
small bio investment on dom is worth it for beast fight alone

What about shotguns, is there any depth to their builds or is it just a feat-hungry variety of AR tin can?
not comparing apples to apples, previous options were about versatility + max dex. Shotguns are not light, you have to play them 'normally'.
The moment you go armor then forget about sneaking.
Oh 1 more crucial thing that I forgot: laz0r/blob are almost silent. There are quiet ballistic but they dont pack that punch.
Reason why I like lazor/knife so much is that you take cheap shots(you can on fists too but you dont have full crit synergy) and can stab lone enemies without alerting friends. At least in places where even pew pew is too loud.

Piotrovitz

Savant
not comparing apples to apples, previous options were about versatility + max dex. Shotguns are not light, you have to play them 'normally'.
ah, so fuck em.

as much as I like shotguns and dislike sneaking in other gaemz, stealth in underrail feels very satisfying and can't imagine any build without it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ah, so fuck em.

as much as I like shotguns and dislike sneaking in other gaemz, stealth in underrail feels very satisfying and can't imagine any build without it.
https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapons
you need to check what is listed as 'light weapon'. Only exception I can see in there are throwing knives, which are light too.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
think my save file got fucked

1718029724999.png

can't enter foundry or core city upper metro (fast travel or walking)
disabled auto save + deleted all but 1 save file did not help :mixedemotions:

also tested 2 different computers

Piotrovitz

Savant
I keep getting this error from time to time during map transitions, but it seems harmless and doesn't corrupt saves, at least for me - I just reload last one, try again and it disappears :|

Maybe try reinstall?

Piotrovitz

Savant
I've found this one, but I assume you're desperate and already found/tried it?

1. Go to [Username]/documents/my games/Underrail
  2. Delete config.dat. This will also reset Underrail to default settings, so you'll have to adjust the screensize again and some settings like automatically opening doors. The game will automatically make a new config.dat, so don't worry.
  3. That's it! You're done. Your saves are now playable again.

Alternatively uninstalling and installing the game in other folder.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
ye did not work

Game Version: 1.2.0.16
Error: System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'LU-B24 - Lower Underrail'. ---> System.IO.InvalidDataException: The magic number in GZip header is not correct. Make sure you are passing in a GZip stream.
at System.IO.Compression.GZipDecoder.ReadHeader(InputBuffer input)
at System.IO.Compression.Inflater.Decode()
at System.IO.Compression.Inflater.Inflate(Byte[] bytes, Int32 offset, Int32 length)
at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.Compression.GZipStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at enu.DeserializeFromBinaryCompressed[T](Stream stream, SerializationBinder binder, Boolean tryToRetrieveDataModelVersion)
at cbv.GetItemCompressed[T](String name, Boolean throwOnMissing)
at blo.a(String A_0, dn2& A_1)
at blo.xw(be0 A_0, Boolean A_1)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at dud.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
at blo.xw(be0 A_0, Boolean A_1)
at d5n.aq0(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1)
at eyo.b4(e48 A_0)
at bs6.d(e48 A_0)
at b8a.a(e48 A_0)
at b8a.b(e48 A_0)
at b8a.adr(e48 A_0)
at bs6.f(e48 A_0)

guess I try steam forum

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
guess I try steam forum
or try google, first result: https://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/1/1729828401679390869/

I have to say that fixing some of these obscure errors can be a pain. I recently found out, after getting crashes in BG3 all the time, that it was due to my PSU not being powerful enough to support my GPU power spikes. Lots of people had the same "Device removed" error I was getting but I had to search for a very long time to get the hint to underclock my GPU and the error was gone.

good luck with yours tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom