Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

jackofshadows

Magister
The mushroom forest "boss" as well.

Speaking of actual objective criticism, this's the one, by the way. The so artificial and stupid limitation which suck plenty of fun out of playing a sniper. Especially against the xbow savages, hated that shit with a passion.

But I have no idea what you mean by computer telling you.
If you "use"-click your radio station, in the "dialogue" menu there is an option to check stored coordinates. This gives you a cheat sheet of locations' coordinates so you don't nave to search blindly. The cheat sheet can be updated with more entries by finding transport tracking data on computer terminals at the various locations. The first is the warehouse underneath the mutants' place, the second that I found was in the Nexus, I think.

If you talk to Yahoda while she is on top of the tower, she describes in more vague terms what you can find if you explore in each direction - pirates south, red reeds east, savages north.

Yeah, I saw that, but again, you get that list of coordinates showing up on your radio very early on, with like 10-20 locations you haven't explored yet. There is no suggestion that you are supposed to use it in any way, so I mostly ignored it, and just found the locations organically, by being told by the quest givers or just stumbling on them exploring around.

There is no logical connection between anything on that list and Abyssal Station Zero or Blistering Shores (which is where the submarine I needed was). So it's very clumsy design, likely just counting on the player exploring everything and finding shit along the way, which I wouldn't have a problem with, except that every quest before ASZ told you to go somewhere, and your quest was there, but in this case, the quest location was a complete red herring. That's my issue, the stupid pattern change.

Maybe if someone has pigeon brains like you. Otherwise, not really bre.
Says the guy who cannot figure out even basic stuff (like checking other Lemurian sites for missed hints/clues in order to access another one) by himself and looks it up online. Right.

I did look up a bunch of clues along the way, but what your pigeon brained self keeps failing to grasp, is that previous to ASZ, all the clues were either in the same location as whatever you are trying to solve, or there was some logical connection between where the clues were, and where the area they were for was. But for ASZ, I still haven't heard/seen any logical connection, UNLESS you just explored every area in the game before going there, and found everything that way.

There's no way you solved that musical puzzle alone.

I didn't even try. I don't know much about music, and the description was so long and convoluted, I immediately felt like that was going to be a really dumb puzzle. Probably along the lines of the later Todd Newman "puzzle". So far, I am thinking I made the right choice. ;)

By the way, even if you walked around L2 prior visiting Blistering shores, the hanging Subsphere there with its description was suppose to give you a hint but... then again, yeah.

Ok, I will play along. What was the clue? Cause I read it at the time, and if I recall correctly, it just said something about that thing being out of service.

Somehow it's game's fault for not holding your hand.

Not holding your hand doesn't mean anything on its own. I could tell you to go find the Holy Grail in a tampon store, and when you inevitably fail, claim you can't handle non-hand-holding instructions. Games either have elegant design where non-hand-holding means they provide you with intelligent instructions that you can apply logic to, or they just tell you some bullshit and you stumble around using trial and error and brute force to get through that shit. Underrail is actually mostly good in this regard, but the whole ASZ thing is a total clusterfuck, so stop whining like a butthurt fanboy.

Even if Oldfield would spoon-fed that all to you do you realize that you can betray Aegis anyway? Or the pirates should figure out how to get into ASZ for you as well?

They can't actually. I already killed them all way before that. ;)

Personally I too didn't like the option to persuade Todd nor did I care about his personalities so I just ended him, yes. Going full retard from the devs would be withdrawing the killing option. Another stellar "objective" criticism example. Better bitch about fetid marsh or something.

Oh ffs, the Internet is filled with people bitching about Todd's quest. It was absolute shit design. A game can be good but still have shit parts. Styg was probably on the rag when he designed the entire ASZ portion, cause its quality is about 3-4 levels below the rest of the game.

ciox

Liturgist
The mushroom forest "boss" as well.
Interesting, I guess that's because you get vision of the boss during the LSD trip sequence maybe. It's also possible that some of these are set to be revealed literally just to help you snipe a little.

Speaking of actual objective criticism, this's the one, by the way. The so artificial and stupid limitation which suck plenty of fun out of playing a sniper. Especially against the xbow savages, hated that shit with a passion.
Yes, it could have been fixed ages ago, or even turned into a sniper ability that can be used to see at very long range. We got sniper turbo-shooting instead, which is strong but not very thematic.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's time to come clean to Porky. Yes, it's true. Every single poster on the Codex is involved in a massive conspiracy to pretend to you specifically that every game is a lot easier than it really is. You caught us.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
...without looking up online hints, e.g. Ultima Underworld, Anachronox, Arx Fatalis, Obra Dinn, etc
I see Porky is being Porky again. The funny thing is, he is able to write intelligent posts but the moment he goes retard he often starts telling people how great, hardcore gamer he is. He is the only Codexer i saw doing it in RPG Discussions - on a regular basis. I might have missed someone but some others do it only occasionally afaik. He also chooses the weirdest games to prove it.
Porky, do you feel insecure on the Codex? Do you feel that others might not take you as a hardcore, prestigious Codexer?

<Spock: fascinating>

Ok. I'm sorry for a genuine SHITpost, sorry to Porky and others to have interrupted this great discussion but i can't stop myself. This IS fascinating. Could be a case to some article in a psychological scientific journal. Then psychology is not a real science so, meh.

jackofshadows

Magister
Ok, I will play along. What was the clue? Cause I read it at the time, and if I recall correctly, it just said something about that thing being out of service.
The *clue* was since it's some kind of vessel and the fact it's out of service suggest you need either to repair it or to get another one. Sounds logical and simple, right? And yet here we are. By the way, does the word 'abyss' mean anything to you? ABYSSAL station zero. Jesus, you're dense. Not to mention the very first facility you enter has "submarine dock" elevator option. A clear indicator that at some point it'll be relevant. Even dialogues with Ferryman were implying something like that as far as I remember. Your fault for not paying attention or being stupid. But no, let's call it "bad design" instead lmao.
Oh ffs, the Internet is filled with people bitching about Todd's quest. It was absolute shit design. A game can be good but still have shit parts. Styg was probably on the rag when he designed the entire ASZ portion, cause its quality is about 3-4 levels below the rest of the game.
So what? The Internet is filled with all kinds of bitching about UnderRail.

Last edited:
Something made me curious lately, I'll probably make a thread on the official forums later but I'll ask here too.
We all know that your attack range is capped to 13 due to sight radius, so you can't really make use of sniper rifles' range of 20... UNLESS you get vision from a cutscene or something.

So what are all the parts in the game where this is a thing, where you get vision at long range and get to snipe at range 20?
The only one that comes to mind is the Tchort battle, you get vision during the talky cutscene and are able to snipe Tchort from range 20 and avoid most of the tentacles. But there have to be more.

* Ironically finishing off Tchort with a snipe from very long range was always advertised as a cool thing you can do by other players, even though it was always reliant on a special case interaction
You can shoot the hives in some of the areas outside Crimson Meadow. You do need to go near them to spot them, but once they're spotted they stay visible even if you back off. Useful for killing them in one burst to minimise the amount of time they have to spawn locusts.
You can actually shoot anything from outside vision range by attacking their portrait. You have to right click a target when they're visible to make the portrait show up but you can then back off and still shoot. It's very hard to get a practical use out of that, but it is possible.

ciox

Liturgist
Something made me curious lately, I'll probably make a thread on the official forums later but I'll ask here too.
We all know that your attack range is capped to 13 due to sight radius, so you can't really make use of sniper rifles' range of 20... UNLESS you get vision from a cutscene or something.

So what are all the parts in the game where this is a thing, where you get vision at long range and get to snipe at range 20?
The only one that comes to mind is the Tchort battle, you get vision during the talky cutscene and are able to snipe Tchort from range 20 and avoid most of the tentacles. But there have to be more.

* Ironically finishing off Tchort with a snipe from very long range was always advertised as a cool thing you can do by other players, even though it was always reliant on a special case interaction
You can shoot the hives in some of the areas outside Crimson Meadow. You do need to go near them to spot them, but once they're spotted they stay visible even if you back off. Useful for killing them in one burst to minimise the amount of time they have to spawn locusts.
You can actually shoot anything from outside vision range by attacking their portrait. You have to right click a target when they're visible to make the portrait show up but you can then back off and still shoot. It's very hard to get a practical use out of that, but it is possible.
Very interesting stuff, I also recall the hives being visible in the fog of war, now that you mentioned it.

...without looking up online hints, e.g. Ultima Underworld, Anachronox, Arx Fatalis, Obra Dinn, etc
I see Porky is being Porky again. The funny thing is, he is able to write intelligent posts but the moment he goes retard he often starts telling people how great, hardcore gamer he is. He is the only Codexer i saw doing it in RPG Discussions - on a regular basis. I might have missed someone but some others do it only occasionally afaik. He also chooses the weirdest games to prove it.
Porky, do you feel insecure on the Codex? Do you feel that others might not take you as a hardcore, prestigious Codexer?

<Spock: fascinating>

Ok. I'm sorry for a genuine SHITpost, sorry to Porky and others to have interrupted this great discussion but i can't stop myself. This IS fascinating. Could be a case to some article in a psychological scientific journal. Then psychology is not a real science so, meh.

What are you whining about? The retard I was replying to said Underrail was too hard for me or something, so naturally I replied to him that I beat much harder games, and gave him a few examples. Seems like what's actually happening is you are insecure about me completing those games, so you try to do some weird deflection/projection.

I see you, dawg... :smug:

The *clue* was since it's some kind of vessel and the fact it's out of service suggest you need either to repair it or to get another one. Sounds logical and simple, right? And yet here we are. By the way, does the word 'abyss' mean anything to you? ABYSSAL station zero. Jesus, you're dense. Not to mention the very first facility you enter has "submarine dock" elevator option. A clear indicator that at some point it'll be relevant. Even dialogues with Ferryman were implying something like that as far as I remember. Your fault for not paying attention or being stupid. But no, let's call it "bad design" instead lmao.

Lol, this is your clue? No wonder you seem so stupid, bro. There is a non-interactable out-of-service vessel on that map, in addition to about 20 other half sunk vessels on the entire Expeditions map, and this is supposed to be a clue that you need to go to Blistering Shores and pick up a sub there? Are you even reading your own crap?

Look, I understand it's hard to focus with only 4 brain cells, but please try to understand what I am saying here: I am not saying it cannot be figured out how to get to ASZ, I am saying outside of that quest, Underrail has a very logical structure, where someone tells you to go to some general area, and do something there, and whatever you need to do is in that area (plus or minus an adjacent zone or two). If something needs to be done in a different area first, the game gives you hints/directions about that. But with ASZ, they completely drop the ball and tell you to go to a zone where the only way to proceed without looking up online hints is to scour the rest of the DLC map first. Terrible design.

Nothing you said contradicts any of this in any way. It's very basic logic, so if you have trouble grasping it, my bad bro. In fact you support my position, by pointing out yourself that there are submarine docks around the DLC world, with no logic of any kind as to which one you need to go to to find shit for ASZ. So again, terrible design.

So what? The Internet is filled with all kinds of bitching about UnderRail.

Not really, most people like it except for two clear examples of shit design: Dark Caverns and ASZ. Only mindless fanboys like you get all butthurt when this obvious shit is pointed out to them. Take a deep breath and relax your sphincter.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm going blind on hard wish me luck bros so far I got destroyed by rats but got to lv3 and it got a little easier
Blind on hard might end very challenging, even normal if you don't know what you are doing, offers, imo, some challenge. Otoh perhaps that was me playing badly or my build sucking. It is your time and your game, I wish you luck and good fun.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
All that text for a simple discussion: Porky postulated that you weren't given instructions.

This is wrong, you are given instructions. Multiple, in fact.

Game, set and match. Everything from there is just noise.

All that text for a simple discussion: Porky postulated that you weren't given instructions.

This is wrong, you are given instructions. Multiple, in fact.

Game, set and match. Everything from there is just noise.

And yet all of you fanboys have failed to demonstrate any of these so called instructions. The last fanboy who tried offered a broken submarine at L2 as "instructions". Lol. Try again.

Cologno

Educated
Eh, you're going on the ignore list. Memey bitchy shitpoasting with a game you dob't like. Fuck off.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Game, set and match. Everything from there is just noise Porky
For better or worse. Porky is just himself. He might go full retard a bit too often for my liking but he says sensible things sometimes when not. At least he actually plays CRPGs and even enjoys them - in a bitchy, annoying way. That's better than half of the Codex. Obviously he also takes his chances with trolling on occasion but who doesn't. He also provides entertainment from time to time. I almost like him, in a strange, masochistic, way.

ciox

Liturgist
Well, he's made a fair point about how the quest is different from the others, even if it's not the only one, so maybe we can stop now, or at least talk about other aspects of Abyssal Zone.
My notes on it were that even if I didn't care much for the quests it was still interesting to explore the area, the mood was incredibly tense and unnerving, and getting the extra lore was neat even if (as per usual) the ends of that lore are swiftly cut off because it gets too close to what should be in Infusion and whatnot.
All of that was good though I didn't care too much for the void stuff, the shock and surprise associated with it there was nice, but it felt like I was once again interacting with this generic thing from recent games, the purple void energy plane that's leaking into our reality. Where did this start again? World of Warcraft? Negative energy plane in D&D? It feels like WoW and Starcraft 2 popularized it the most and other games took it from there.

CHEMS

Scholar
It's been a while since i played (or posted on the codex for the matter), didn't even explore the new DLC that much or the new weapons

I SURE HOPE STYG HASN'T NERFED ANYTHING, RIGHT?

CHEMS

Scholar
By what i've been reading, the miniguns suck ass huh

Everybody seems to just to only use the LMGs...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom