Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Sinatar

Arbiter
This game is fucking rancid. Even if it were polished to a mirror sheen it would be a repetitive boring piece of shit. Stay far the fuck away.

AMG

Arbiter
The first page of Steam reviews for english language is literally all negative right now.
giphy.gif

This game is fucking rancid. Even if it were polished to a mirror sheen it would be a repetitive boring piece of shit. Stay far the fuck away.
It's honestly way beyond a weak product.
It's insultingly bad, bordering into a proper fraud.

And my god, it may have some of the worst controls/UI I've ever experienced even among one-man-made tech demos.
it's genuinely hard to believe "industry veterans" worked on this, and even harder to imagine someone looked at this and thought "Well, it seems good enough for a release for me!".

But the real irony is that sales started off rather strong on Steam and they are falling off quickly just because everyone is realizing what a mess it is.

DemonKing

Arcane
Steam page has "build details" (not release notes) that is basically a list of bugs - it's plainly obvious it's still only in early access-level quality:

UPDATE: Some Chinese characters showing as a box has been fixed. We are looking at a fix for the same problem for Russian language text.
  • Player Hunger level can increase when game is paused.
  • Some metal doors can get stuck in their frame when opened.
  • Some audio might overlap when you play a memora log during narration.
  • Highlighting over the companion mind crippler shows additional outlines. This creature still behaves per normal.
  • There are rare areas where a skeleton would spawn in an unexpected area and not react to players.
  • Character punches the air after casting a spell with a wand.
  • Selecting sounds in the character customizer does not show box around the selected option.
  • If character falls into Valley in Titan’s Reach and has all the movement skills unlocked, they can survive the fall and become stuck.
  • In Tyball’s Folly, falling into water in the Necromanteion region causes players to be stuck.
  • Playing on the computer with a controller, exiting the game, rebooting the computer and starting up the game causes the game to be locked to playing a controller. You will need to replug the controller and reset the controls.
  • Corpses of Deep Slugs occasionally distort after reloading a level.
  • Thrown objects will pass through Aelita.
  • In one room in Murgo’s Prison some items will disappear after turning off a trap.
  • If you are climbing a chain while being hit by a Ripper, you are unable to get off the chain.
  • Some chains move on their own.
  • If an additional game is loaded while in-game, the faction favor could display inaccurate information.
  • Wooden chairs can sink in water.
  • Some items might be hard to see if they drop on soil.
  • Faction bonus popups add an extra “the” in front of the faction’s name.
  • Splashing into shallow water sounds like splashing into deep pools of water.
  • URUZ rune icon is different in spellwheel than in spellbook. This is a font issue.
  • Using Controller on OPTIONS menus that scroll, you need to use the right stick to scroll the menus.
  • There are some holes in the environments that are being addressed.
  • Formatting issues with some text with the quest tab, reward screen and subtitles.
  • Some fighting animations with a sword can miss collision with Rogue Outcast.
  • Text Formatting with Hints is inconsistent.
  • The Amethyst Ankh Amulet does not play a tune when near a treasure chest, as it should.
  • Gather quests do not have regions highlighted on the quest map as to where to find the items.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The most damning thing about this game is that if you imagine a game that does what they tried to do but does it properly, you just get Dark Messiah. which is a game that already exists and you can play it and it's great

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The most damning thing about this game is that if you imagine a game that does what they tried to do but does it properly, you just get Dark Messiah. which is a game that already exists and you can play it and it's great
Unfortunately not a lot of people like that game for some reason. After Otherside goes under I guess only Arkane will try to make this "immersive Sim" type games.

Always a good sign when you can see that the level designers said fuck it. Floor gaps and holes in walls let me see straight through to nothing breaking any immersion, and water is like sludge I can't get out of it half of the time.

UGH WHAT A MESS

Max Heap

Arcane
There is a lot to unpack about this one. Will post in more deail tomorrow, but it feels like the first 2 hours are the most polished and after that it breaks apart really badly.
And those first two hours already include broken AI and falling through the map.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The most damning thing is that a DM-like is not what they pitched in the first place.

Sacibengala

Prophet
That was the worst kickstarter I backed, and I backed all the inxile ones, beside wasteland 3 because my stupidity needed to end someday. Never again!

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
Unfortunately not a lot of people like that game for some reason. After Otherside goes under I guess only Arkane will try to make this "immersive Sim" type games.
Sure, it's not perfect, but pretty much everything actually in this game is also in that one, and it's better in literally every way.

If someone wants an actual followup to Ultima Underworld... fuck if I know what you'd do for that, sadly

Moink

Cipher
Steam only lists reviews made by people who bought the game on the storefront and not redeemed keys, the actual steam score is 33% positive, 22% if you only count reviews in English.

NrrqzE6.png

What a mess!

Mortmal

Arcane
70% negative is justified .Its easily the most disapointing game in my gaming life so far . It even managed to beat Ultima 9 and lionheart and not by a small margin, at least those were playable and had no such stupid save system. That was no small feat... I am not even speaking of the glitches and overall clunkiness i noticed during the the small amount of time i managed to play.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
I just noticed that they have this screenshot on the Steam page:

ss_62eb56cb70cf862e6d1a289261970fa793c22408.1920x1080.jpg

Which is not how the rune interface looks in the actual game, they changed how the runes looked and yet couldn't be assed to update their promo pictures

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom