Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't wait for it to be released in a PWYW bundle with Bad Rats! You'd have my dollar!

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Vault Dweller Did you reach 5 digits in sales?

Love the updates and hope for everything to unfold well with the proper release this year. Good luck guys.

Perkel

Arcane
9,794 copies sold.

How are things looking for the future? Is the current rate of sales enough to sustain you guys enough to produce further games?

Divinity Orginal sin had 70 000 backers and Early access and they are since release day #1 straight 12 days now.
Mind you people getting Divinity EA didn't care about spoilers because game isn't really taht story heavy and for example i didn't mind to try EA.

With game like AoD story, quests, narrative is central part of game and spoilering anything before release is like pissing into your own food. So i would love to give them money now but i will wait till release and will pay proper full price to support them. I think there is ton of people like I who just don't want to spoil themselves and thus "only" 10k.

This 10k imo is much more important that you may thing because this means there are at least 10k people who are willing to spoil themselves instead of waiting for proper release where in Larian case people don't give a fuck.

TLDR 10k doesn't sound good for EA but it is v.good number which will later prove on release day.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
So i would love to give them money now but i will wait till release and will pay proper full price to support them

You can also support them right now and only play it thursday to prevent yourself from spoils.You just have to pass a will check

Perkel

Arcane
Nah, this is why i don't plan to buy until release.

Everyday i would need to roll check for my will. And since AoD looks amazing it would be like living with Oliva Wild as your roommate

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got it like half a year ago but didnt play it yet. Like with Divinity, I bought it when it arrived on early access but didnt play more than an hour till was released.
Might buy another copy when Thursday comes to gib to beggars to support the Incline.

Cya Thursday 2017 cause VD will probably decide to add co-op since Divinity gets so much praise for it.
:troll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
9,794 copies sold.

How are things looking for the future? Is the current rate of sales enough to sustain you guys enough to produce further games?
Too early to say. So far it looks like we have a fighting chance, which is as good as it gets, I suppose.

Divinity Orginal sin had 70 000 backers and Early access and they are since release day #1 straight 12 days now.
You can't compare our game/studio to D:OS/Larian. I knew that we'd never sell over 200,000 copies (70,000 backers and 160,000 copies on release) before we started. I'd say we can sell 50,000 copies max, IF we're lucky. Most likely somewhere between 25 and 35,000 copies.

This 10k imo is much more important that you may thing because this means there are at least 10k people who are willing to spoil themselves instead of waiting for proper release...
That's for sure. We had a very slow start and sold under 300 copies in the first week which is probably the weakest first week sales on Steam but then it picked up.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Holy crap. If this is an indication of market expectations, why even bother finishing games anymore? You could start selling when it's a third done and put it on sale when it's half done, after which point it seems like you'd have already tapped most of your potential market be getting sharply depreciating returns for effort. A developer would then be better off just diddling about for another six months, have one final massive sale to milk the last vestige of goodwill, and cancel the project with some spurious claim such as differences of opinion with key team members, "but we sure loved taking a chance at making it, and are proud of what progress did manage to achieve, content which we hope you will continue to enjoy."

Then run to Canada with the money, and start another game under a different company name.

Drowed

Arcane
Holy crap. If this is an indication of market expectations, why even bother finishing games anymore? You could start selling when it's a third done and put it on sale when it's half done, after which point it seems like you'd have already tapped most of your potential market be getting sharply depreciating returns for effort. A developer would then be better off just diddling about for another six months, have one final massive sale to milk the last vestige of goodwill, and cancel the project with some spurious claim such as differences of opinion with key team members, "but we sure loved taking a chance at making it, and are proud of what progress did manage to achieve, content which we hope you will continue to enjoy."

Then run to Canada with the money, and start another game under a different company name.

Yep, they're already doing it.

Minus the part of a new company. They want to make a sequel to an incomplete game.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Nearly 10,000 sales @ $25 per pop is a p. sweet figure Vault Dweller Comes out to around $225,000/- Steam takes a 30% cut from what I know leaving you with around $160,000/- You can pay for a kids college education with that. Or buy a sexy car. Or a sexy wife from Ukraine.

Have to paid any taxes on this income yet? If so, how much will that come out to be?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You know there have been multiple people working on AoD for a couple of years, right?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nearly 10,000 sales @ $25 per pop is a p. sweet figure Vault Dweller Comes out to around $225,000/- Steam takes a 30% cut from what I know leaving you with around $160,000/- You can pay for a kids college education with that. Or buy a sexy car. Or a sexy wife from Ukraine.
About 180, actually. Steam does take 30%. Keep in mind that there are five of us.

Have to paid any taxes on this income yet? If so, how much will that come out to be?
Doing it now. It depends on whether or not the government allows me to file my team's cut as an expense before tax. It would reduce the taxable income significantly.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay bros, time to tell my story.

I'm also among the one's who doesn't want to play the game till release, though I bought the game in nov'13 (to support iron Tower). I didn't touch it.

But a couple of days ago I decided to join the AoD Russian translation team, I found out the guys needed more translators, so I understood that I must help. For now I spoiled 5 large dialogues/quest arks, but I do not feel it like a bad thing. I'm happy that I'm taking part in this kind of project and I realize that if me make it, it can be a selling point to some folks in Russia (a lot of us refuse to play without a translation). More folks will support the incline:salute:

And if we work hard we can manage to release the translation somewhere near the actual game release date.

Oh, and another one thing - AFAIK VD decided to make this translation official, and it's awesome. I hope more devs will follow this, because a lot of our "official localizations" are very lazy and come out late, for example, D: OS is still not here though one of the biggest Russian software companies is working on it. The fans are always more passionate and dedicated.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
About 180, actually. Steam does take 30%. Keep in mind that there are five of us.

Doing it now. It depends on whether or not the government allows me to file my team's cut as an expense before tax. It would reduce the taxable income significantly.

I guess that comes out to $36,000 per person before tax. These are still pre sales for a niche-niche game. I hope you guys make a ton of money off this, so you can quit your jobs and work full time on a sequel, preferably a party based traditional fantasy or sci fi rpg. :thumbsup:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I though VD has already quit his job.

What does your family think of your «hobby»? Do you have any personal problems caused by the AoD’s development? Especially when you left your job in the last year.

They are fairly supportive. I’ve done the Right Thing ™ all my life, so I figured that I deserve a chance to be irresponsible and do what I’ve always wanted, even if it’s the dumbest thing ever, business-wise.
http://www.rpgnuke.ru/articles/site/del_vey/interview_with_vince_weller_eng.html

Vault Dweller

Developer
I did quit my job to focus on the game, but unless AoD sells well enough to support me for the next 2 years, I'll be forced to shave off my beard, put on a suit and go back.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I did quit my job to focus on the game, but unless AoD sells well enough to support me for the next 2 years, I'll be forced to shave off my beard, put on a suit and go back.
No for beardless Dwellers! (paste appropriate banner here)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom