Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fine. Apparently I need to just learn the language myself.
がんばって

As for the localization: I kinda like some of the changes. Some of them are stupid, but a lot of the japanese text seems to be very functional with few frills.
I'll take wannabe shakespearan prose over purely functional prose.
日本語を学ぶことはとても名誉なことだ。ピンク髪の変人が読んでくれる漫画でオナニーするのではなく、原文からスマットを読むことができるようになる日が来るのだ。
Okay, apparently I need to learn the language AND get a pair of reading glasses.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
日本語を学ぶことはとても名誉なことだ。
良かった, その文をわかりました. (The rest is too long of a sentence for me).

あなたの弱さは先祖に恥をかかせる。

The long one was basically AI translator for, "Soon you'll be able to jack it to your cartoon smut directly instead of having a purple haired weirdo read it to you." :lol:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
あなたの弱さは先祖に恥をかかせる。
:(
The long one was basically AI translator for, "Soon you'll be able to jack it to your cartoon smut directly instead of having a purple haired weirdo read it to you." :lol:
It says pink though, not purple :M
I also already played Rance X and 03 in japanese (altho with lots of machine tools).

Returning to the topic at hand: I considered buying the collectors edition, but it was sold out.

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw i wonder if kingsblade is really best/one of the best in the line of swords or we will get better stuff later?
witch said there is one of such weapons hidden in each country so i guess one of each type - sword, spear, axe, bow and staff. 5 weapon types for 5 countries.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fine. Apparently I need to just learn the language myself.
がんばって

As for the localization: I kinda like some of the changes. Some of them are stupid, but a lot of the japanese text seems to be very functional with few frills.
I'll take wannabe shakespearan prose over purely functional prose.
日本語を学ぶことはとても名誉なことだ。ピンク髪の変人が読んでくれる漫画でオナニーするのではなく、原文からスマットを読むことができるようになる日が来るのだ。
Okay, apparently I need to learn the language AND get a pair of reading glasses.
I gave up when realizing I had to zoom every character to 3-400% to make out the strokes. :negative:

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw funny how hardest enemies in demo can't even deal damage themselves. will probably make squad with 2 shamans and something fat with selfhealing in first row just to summon at main base in case of SUDDEN ambush.

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm probably gonna ditch my current save file and start in hard mode, I was going to save hard for a replay but I also don't want to get bored during my first play through.

Anonymous Ranger

Literate
I'm probably gonna ditch my current save file and start in hard mode, I was going to save hard for a replay but I also don't want to get bored during my first play through.
You don't have to restart if you don't want to. The game lets you change the difficulty in the menu whenever you want.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
日本語を学ぶことはとても名誉なことだ。
良かった, その文をわかりました. (The rest is too long of a sentence for me).

あなたの弱さは先祖に恥をかかせる。

Yep, I knew I seen you speaking gookanese somewhere. You do eat cats you sick fuck.

Edit

I was considering buying this until I seen the price. It's a niche indie game made for a tiny audience. What makes them think they can charge $60?

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
I was considering buying this until I seen the price. It's a niche indie game made for a tiny audience. What makes them think they can charge $60?
"It's a game made for a specific niche with a small audience. Therefore, the developer should earn even less per sale, to ensure no-one makes this type of game." :happytrollboy:
Turns out uneducated alcoholics don't make the best business analysts.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"It's a game made for a specific niche with a small audience. Therefore, the developer should earn even less per sale, to ensure no-one makes this type of game." :happytrollboy:
Yeah... I think this is why the japanese seem to be better at "high production value niche products" than the west. They will actually pay above AAA prices for niche products.

Reinhardt

Arcane
yep, will be pirating it. looked it up and nintendo doesn't work with russia anymore. so it's either buying phys copy through middleman and wait for delivery or buying overpriced e-version in another region.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yeah... I think this is why the japanese seem to be better at "high production value niche products" than the west. They will actually pay above AAA prices for niche products.
Yes, the fundamental issue is that most gamers in the West have adopted the bizarre notion that games should be valued according to how much money was spent developing them, rather than a game's quality and duration. All too many people are willing to pay $60-70 for AAA games while insisting that an indie game should cost perhaps $15-20, even if the indie game provides better quality for a similar length of time relative to AAA games. Indie games are intrinsically aimed at a narrower, niche audience, but a good indie game will provide this target audience with the quality it seeks in a manner that cannot be found in AAA games that appeal to a wider, lowest-common-denominator audience.

Meanwhile, digital storefronts have become dominated by deep discounts, training consumers to purchase games ever more cheaply, except for the occasional just-released AAA full-price purchase. This is compensated for only to a limited extent by the tendency of gamers to amass a digital backlog of games, since the backlog consists largely of games purchased for peanuts, when they had their price temporarily slashed during a sale or with a price permanently plunged to almost nothing. Moreover, the accumulation of a backlog simply results in gamers becoming even less willing to pay full price for an indie game, instead waiting until a new release is similarly discounted nearly to nothing.

Codexers should be particularly cognizant that a game's value is determine by the combination of the game's duration and quality for the person actually playing it, who might have tastes that differ radically from the general gaming community.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think the tendency of people to accumulate a backlog these days is a good thing- it means people are doing less impulse buying of whatever is hyped and trendy, and more informed buying of games with a solid reputation. Cheaper indie games is also not inherently a bad thing; the tendency of game budgets to ballon to retarded levels should have stopped decades ago, frankly. I'd rather have double the actual content in a game than a forest of handcrafted unique bark textures in the opening cutscene or some celebrity voice actors giving a shit performance because they don't respect the medium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom