Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vampire Syndicate: Gangs of MoonFall - Kickstarter now live!

Castozor

Augur
So sorry if you actually covered this before, but do your vampires have magical powers in this game or not? Don't care either way but I'm just curious.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So sorry if you actually covered this before, but do your vampires have magical powers in this game or not? Don't care either way but I'm just curious.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: There's a few types of magic that exist in the setting and they're gained through different ways. Being that vampires are super resourceful, they have more access to it than most humans. The two most common are:

Encarna - mundane magic. Everyone has access to this but it's very limited, with most of its uses relegated to bolstering your health and physicality. Like a muscle, you can train it to become stronger over time. The most common use of this is to project an encarnic barrier that increases the force of your melee attacks, and protects against projectiles similar to a shield from Dune. This explains in part why weapons such as swords and spears are still commonly used, besides rule of cool. Yes, there are various schools of martial arts for this.

Inara - arcane magic. Reality shaping that is fueled by "burning" a memory. The more valuable the memory to the caster, the stronger the spell. Users are called "shapers" and the ability to use Inara needs to be imparted from a teacher to a student. This transference is not free, in a lot of ways, and results in a very strong shared memory that can be "burned" to fuel a very strong spell, albeit one that will remove your ability to use arcane magic forever.

There are also types of magic that are unique to certain factions, such as

The Magic of Prophecy
The Magic of Witches
Bibliomancy

But all vampires will be able to use blood magic.

Hmm, I should probably do a lore video on this at some point.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This sort of info/loredump will also make for a good campaign update once the Kickstarter is going on.

Castozor

Augur
That sounds interesting, especially the Inara. Really curious how you work that out as a game mechanic, assuming it even is available to the player.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Yeah, that doesn’t sound feasible for a video game. How do you represent magic that consumes memories? Does it remove XP? Skill points? Sounds more appropriate for a novel or something.

I’m really disappointed that there aren’t any other devs working on vampire-themed crpgs. Not that I can name at the moment. There’s this, Nighthawks, and nothing else. Bloodlines released 20 years ago and we haven’t had anything else in the genre space since.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That sounds interesting, especially the Inara. Really curious how you work that out as a game mechanic, assuming it even is available to the player.

Yeah, that doesn’t sound feasible for a video game. How do you represent magic that consumes memories? Does it remove XP? Skill points? Sounds more appropriate for a novel or something.

For most uses, shapers have refined a system of mental marking that creates expendable memories. For example in the now outdated demo, the shaper companion counted out some numbers and held them in her head, and those small memories of her doing that are enough to fuel her spells.

As for the larger stuff, at this point I'll only say that I have a few tricks up my sleeve. If I get enough money, I'll finally create the convoluted magic system I've always wanted.

Tao

Augur

Long answer: There's a few types of magic that exist in the setting and they're gained through different ways. Being that vampires are super resourceful, they have more access to it than most humans. The two most common are:

Encarna - mundane magic. Everyone has access to this but it's very limited, with most of its uses relegated to bolstering your health and physicality. Like a muscle, you can train it to become stronger over time. The most common use of this is to project an encarnic barrier that increases the force of your melee attacks, and protects against projectiles similar to a shield from Dune. This explains in part why weapons such as swords and spears are still commonly used, besides rule of cool. Yes, there are various schools of martial arts for this.

Inara - arcane magic. Reality shaping that is fueled by "burning" a memory. The more valuable the memory to the caster, the stronger the spell. Users are called "shapers" and the ability to use Inara needs to be imparted from a teacher to a student. This transference is not free, in a lot of ways, and results in a very strong shared memory that can be "burned" to fuel a very strong spell, albeit one that will remove your ability to use arcane magic forever.

The Magic of Prophecy
The Magic of Witches
Bibliomancy

You're missing my favorite type of magic

Herumor

Scholar

The Magic of Prophecy
The Magic of Witches
Bibliomancy

I wonder how going full borg will work against stuff like this.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I wonder how going full borg will work against stuff like this.

Depends on the type of going full borg. Messing with your brain interferes with Inara use, so shapers generally stay away from all but the most inobtrusive augments there. On the flip side, there are implants than enhance these skills.

As for blood magic, the vampiric curse ties a vampire's soul to their...uh, body. I won't say much more since it's a big spoiler, but vampires generally cannot augment their bodies with tech after becoming one, and they shouldn't before.

There are exceptions.

Going full borg is 100% a harder path in the game, both storywise and gameplay wise. But it will be a way to remain "human" and still be able to go toe-to-toe with some of the weaker vampires.

Herumor

Scholar
Going full borg is 100% a harder path in the game, both storywise and gameplay wise. But it will be a way to remain "human" and still be able to go toe-to-toe with some of the weaker vampires.
Hey man, so long as I can go full Adam Smasher / Shaitan, I'm good with harder combat encounters. Just hope it's gonna reflect in NPC reactivity and not just purely changing up some gameplay mechanics and skills.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Hey man, so long as I can go full Adam Smasher / Shaitan, I'm good with harder combat encounters. Just hope it's gonna reflect in NPC reactivity and not just purely changing up some gameplay mechanics and skills.
Probably an open secret here, but reactivity depends a lot on funding since it uses one of any dev's most important resources, time.

But this is a big deal since not being able to become a vampire matters a lot in a game about vampires. You will be heavily discouraged by the characters from going down this route and they will distrust you once you pass a certain threshold.

This will be explained thoroughly to the player.

lightbane

Arcane
There are exceptions.
Is biotechnology a thing? That should be an exception. Brain implants, improved reflexes and the like are simply too useful to pass. Depending on how hard-core the cyber part of your setting is, brain implants to connect with the net are possibly a must.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
Having the option to not be a vampire in the vampire game would be the height of RPG though. I was so disappointed that V came pre-augmented in cyberupunk.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The more I work on the game, the more confidant I am that I won't be completely bankrupt.

Full trailer is nearing completion. It will be a beefy one.

jfjhkjljklkjlk.jpg

Readher

Savant
Make sure to make the Kickstarter page appealing this time, utilize stuff like gifs and clearly mark features that average people find very important in RPGs (gender selection, character customization, romance, whether there's lesbo and gay stuff, joinable factions, etc.), and to have updates about lore and various gameplay systems ready before you even launch, in order to be able to release them at a steady pace and keep the interest up. Basically stuff I and other people here mentioned during your previous, unsuccessful attempt. Presentation and engagement are king when you're just a droplet in the Kickstarter sea.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
whether there's lesbo and gay stuff
Actually, Tyranicon you might want to make a lack of homosexuals* and direct cishenderism for ordinary humans your selling points.
You won't be popular among the lowest common denominator in any case, so it might be worthwhile to openly appeal to "opposition".

*Hot lesbian cosplayers are obviously a big plus or several.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Actually, Tyranicon you might want to make a lack of homosexuals* and direct cishenderism for ordinary humans your selling points.
You won't be popular among the lowest common denominator in any case, so it might be worthwhile to openly appeal to "opposition".

Like I said before, I just want to make games, not get knee-deep in drama or the [current thing]. The industry at large is already infested with that shit.

I'll let the game speak for itself.

Game will have hot lesbians tho, cause come on

Caim

Arcane

Like I said before, I just want to make games, not get knee-deep in drama or the [current thing]. The industry at large is already infested with that shit.

I'll let the game speak for itself.

Game will have hot lesbians tho, cause come on
Either you sink in the cum or cum in the sink, and it looks like you chose the second option.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ya gotta have a few flagrant faggot vamps or peeps. I mean over the top making fun of the culture (but just a few). Rainbow cape vamp who decides to fly into the sunshine... and die. Where's Count Fagula "I vant to suck your dick. BLAH BLAH!" or was it "I cum to vuck your butt.. BLAH! BLAH!

Yoomazir

Educated
Lewd games are serious bizness isn't it, I remember trying the rpgmaker demo a while ago. Question: will the lewd scenes have a first person & free cam options like Last Hope (another lewd game in UnrealE)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom