Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vampire Syndicate: Gangs of MoonFall - Kickstarter now live!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
85,4k and 7 days to go.

I'm not so sure about Courtesan's Guild stretch goal anymore...

Tyranicon hope you have some aces hidden in your sleaves for the final days of the kickstarter campaign!
There's always end rush during last 3 days.
Base management may be stretch goal too far.

Yeah, I'm pretty optimistic about at least reaching the Courtesans. Further stretch goals might be, you know, a stretch. But we'll see.

Also, an update:

Hi everyone,

We have entered the final week of the campaign, and are closing in on the stretch goal for the courtesans. I also figured I would add what will probably be the final stretch goals as well.

The capstone stretch goal is something I've been working on for a while, and that's the idea of living factions, or factions that aren't static but will behave proactively to further their own interests. Basically what they do in grand strategy games, but in an RPG.

As far as I know, this has not really been tried in a narrative RPG, because of the complexity it would add, but I think I have a good strategy for it. You can learn more in the below video:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Lord_Potato here's Kicktraq data about this project.

dailychart.png

Today's been the slowest funding day during campaign.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
85,4k and 7 days to go.

I'm not so sure about Courtesan's Guild stretch goal anymore...

Tyranicon hope you have some aces hidden in your sleaves for the final days of the kickstarter campaign!
There's always end rush during last 3 days.
Base management may be stretch goal too far.

Yeah, I'm pretty optimistic about at least reaching the Courtesans. Further stretch goals might be, you know, a stretch. But we'll see.

Also, an update:

Hi everyone,

We have entered the final week of the campaign, and are closing in on the stretch goal for the courtesans. I also figured I would add what will probably be the final stretch goals as well.

The capstone stretch goal is something I've been working on for a while, and that's the idea of living factions, or factions that aren't static but will behave proactively to further their own interests. Basically what they do in grand strategy games, but in an RPG.

As far as I know, this has not really been tried in a narrative RPG, because of the complexity it would add, but I think I have a good strategy for it. You can learn more in the below video:

Yo what's this about Living factions? I thought they're all undead, mostly.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Question: why did you choose to make vampirism and faction membership into an in-character choice? Why not start as a vampire, with faction chosen by the player out-of-character, as was done in certain other games?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question: why did you choose to make vampirism and faction membership into an in-character choice? Why not start as a vampire, with faction chosen by the player out-of-character, as was done in certain other games?
This way he has time to actually implement the vampirism mechanics sometime during early access. :troll:
Nah, it's just how it is, work your way to power.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I’m genuinely curious about the creative decision because it leads to different dynamics. Arguably more sensible ones. If a vampire choses their faction because it suits their human personality, then that’s very different from having it forced on them and arbitrarily altering their personality into a stereotype of a loyal drone. The latter is a huge logical problem that certain other games suffer from.

Speaking of, can a vampire just splinter off and form their own faction if they no longer identify with the one they originally joined? That’s how the different factions originally formed, right?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Oh that's easy. I wanted the player to experience the vampire hierarchy from the bottom. The last demo had the player start as a familiar, but I figured I might as well go all the way and start the game as completely uninitiated.

The lineages are organized like ancient crime syndicates, full of their own themes and rituals, so I think it would be really cool. Also letting the player get to know the lineages without having to choose on chargen is a huge bonus.

I’m genuinely curious about the creative decision because it leads to different dynamics. Arguably more sensible ones. If a vampire choses their faction because it suits their human personality, then that’s very different from having it forced on them and arbitrarily altering their personality into a stereotype of a loyal drone. The latter is a huge logical problem that certain other games suffer from.

Speaking of, can a vampire just splinter off and form their own faction if they no longer identify with the one they originally joined? That’s how the different factions originally formed, right?
Vampires in my setting are very different than most, especially from VtMB. I've said many times I'm not very knowledgeable about VtMB, in fact what little I do know is mostly research so I know what to stay away from so I don't get hit with plagiarism accusations.

That being said, the answer to your question is generally no, and the reason is part of what makes my vampires different: those who control the lineages also control the spread of that line of vampirism. A splinter faction will have no way to create new vampires. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

Yes, it's a thin reference to being "made" or "inducted" that many secret crime societies have.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
those who control the lineages also control the spread of that line of vampirism
Arguably, it's the way it was in oWoD, with methuselahs playing 4D chess by bloodbonding everyone and 13 generation vamps (PCs) being akin to embryos of proper vampires.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The lineages are organized like ancient crime syndicates, full of their own themes and rituals, so I think it would be really cool. Also letting the player get to know the lineages without having to choose on chargen is a huge bonus.
Neato. That actually makes more sense even. I’m really surprised no other devs have done this before you, because it feels like the most natural fit in the world. You’re either really smart and creative, or everyone else is really dumb and dull.

in fact what little I do know is mostly research so I know what to stay away from so I don't get hit with plagiarism accusations.
That’s rich. Anyone who thinks that game invented vampires is a fucking moron completely illiterate in media and particularly in vampire fiction. Mark Rein•Hagen (the creator back in 1991) liberally plagiarized from Anne Rice, Brian Lumley, Bram Stoker, Robert E Howard, Yuzo Takada, Nicholas Cage, F.W. Murnau, Mario Puzo, and multiple other authors.

I have actually had people tell me that said game invented the idea of vampires organizing and having human familiars. This is complete bullshit. Human familiars go all the way back to Renfield in Dracula. Organization (beyond a master and brides) goes at least as far back as Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles in the 1970s, where vampires organized into covens. Even the idea of different types of vampires in the same story goes back to at least Captain Kronos in the 1970s.

Anyone who accuses you is full of shit and easy to disprove. Any viable plagiarism claim would require you to deliberately copy and not do any original research on vampire fiction. There are numerous vampire folklore and fiction encyclopedias on Google Books that you can buy.

And even if you did make something very obviously inspired by a game from 20 years ago, so what? Humans recycle tropes for storytelling all the time. Unless you’re literally plagiarizing, which you’re not and which would open you up to copyright lawsuits anyway, the ignorant haters can go fuck themselves.

those who control the lineages also control the spread of that line of vampirism. A splinter faction will have no way to create new vampires.
Clever. Lets them screen out candidates and largely avoid schisms. I’m guessing any splinters that grew did so by inventing new rituals that weren’t under the control of others? Would the PC be able to invent his own ritual over the course of the game or no? Just curious

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Clever. Lets them screen out candidates and largely avoid schisms. I’m guessing any splinters that grew did so by inventing new rituals that weren’t under the control of others?
More or less.

Vampirism is the half-successful recreation of a divine blessing by ancient Ur-Drucah sorcerers. The ritual and the materials needed to perform it were lost and rediscovered, but with significant gaps of knowledge. Each of the modern surviving lineages plugged these gaps with their own solutions, introducing unique effects into their resulting Vampiric curse.
Would the PC be able to invent his own ritual over the course of the game or no? Just curious
Probably not in this game.

Herumor

Scholar
It might have been mentioned in the thread before, but what kind of music/soundtrack will you be using for this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom