Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

user

Savant
So make sure to hunt like a vampire: stalking from rooftops, hunting in alleyways, isolating your prey and if you are observed, deal with witnesses swiftly.
Semi-open world confirmed?

Wesp5

Arcane
Within the story Phyre earns a seat at the top-table of the Camarilla as the court's Sheriff...
This is the only thing worth mentioned in the diary. You play as the Sheriff.

That was already mentioned in the extended gameplay video. I wonder how they explain that, especially as Phyre has lost most of their powers...

Wesp5

Arcane
I wonder how they explain that, especially as Phyre has lost most of their powers...

Aren't most remaining Vampires in V5 weak bitches themselves? The ones that aren't have gone away and are having a giant rave party in the Middle East or something.

I don't know, all the VtM lore I remember is coming from VtM video games ;)! It does remind me of Swansong though, where Galeb, the near eastern protagonist, isn't the Sheriff but also send out acting as one. This is different to Bloodlines, where you do a lot of things for LaCroix too, but at least at the beginning he really sends you out to die. The part about the consensed Seattle sounds promising though, because this is the same technique Bloodlines used for Los Angeles. I wonder if a lot of the Seattle maps are reused from the HSL version and in case they are, why are they giving no credits for that?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So make sure to hunt like a vampire: stalking from rooftops, hunting in alleyways, isolating your prey and if you are observed, deal with witnesses swiftly.
Semi-open world confirmed?
They're reusing the hubs from Hardsuit, just covering them in snow.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I wonder how they explain that, especially as Phyre has lost most of their powers...

Aren't most remaining Vampires in V5 weak bitches themselves? The ones that aren't have gone away and are having a giant rave party in the Middle East or something.
Mostly, yeah. Some of the Cainites of Generations 7th or lower haven't been Beckoned yet, or are otherwise resisting the pull, but it is strongly implied that the majority are gone. This, in my opinion, is a case of terrible execution of a sound idea. The idea being that player characters should be closer in power to the people in charge of their city, as that is where the meat of the setting is. But instead of suggesting that 10-8th Generation Ancillae would be ideal PCs, we get at best 8th Gen Princes who are barely Elders.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Most intimidating Sheriff ever. Just exudes raw authority and power.

bloodlines2-phyre-outfit2-logo-1698768003115.png

Or maybe they're trying to sell me some cheap heroin in some back alley idk.

ChildInTime

Savant

At least the guy version (if it even exists at this point and we are not left with the dyke only) looks like the main character in one of those old 2000s vampire shows - Blood Ties, Angel, etc.

ogO5bOu.jpeg

user

Savant

At least the guy version (if it even exists at this point and we are not left with the dyke only) looks like the main character in one of those old 2000s vampire shows - Blood Ties, Angel, etc.

ogO5bOu.jpeg
They seem ready to challenge their enemies to a walk off.

Delterius

Arcane
Within the story Phyre earns a seat at the top-table of the Camarilla as the court's Sheriff...
This is the only thing worth mentioned in the diary. You play as the Sheriff.

That was already mentioned in the extended gameplay video. I wonder how they explain that, especially as Phyre has lost most of their powers...
'i heard that a resourceful neonate once killed Los Angeles' sheriff so i'm sure you can do the job ms phyre'

Zeriel

Arcane

Mostly, yeah. Some of the Cainites of Generations 7th or lower haven't been Beckoned yet, or are otherwise resisting the pull, but it is strongly implied that the majority are gone. This, in my opinion, is a case of terrible execution of a sound idea. The idea being that player characters should be closer in power to the people in charge of their city, as that is where the meat of the setting is. But instead of suggesting that 10-8th Generation Ancillae would be ideal PCs, we get at best 8th Gen Princes who are barely Elders.

I mean a lot of the high-up political actors in original VTM weren't low/old gen anyway. Those were mostly the Justicars/Inconnu, who were basically the Illuminati of the vampire world. Generally sheriffs and princes weren't anywhere near the top of the totem pole of vampire power. Some Inconnu/Justicars may have been princes back in the 1500s... but not in modern times. And then there was the distinction between old world and new (way more older vampires in the old world).

Overall I don't remember elder politicians being a common theme in VTM's setting ever. They were almost always detached and at best ruling from behind the shadows; and the older you got, the less they even cared about wielding secular power, with the oldest being so monstrous that the notion of manipulating society was almost beneath them, if they had thoughts at all.

Like a lot of modern game design, I find this to be a bad solution in search of a problem that didn't really exist. You already had the solution in the old vampire setting and rules, the issue was more of a player attitude thing. Players wanted to rub shoulders with fucking antediluvians and elders, but that's not something that can or should be resolved by gutting the setting, it's something where you either deal with that as a DM/storyteller and cater to their wishes and have a silly campaign, or you seek out players who more match your sensibilities, the same as players in D&D wanting to go and kill gods isn't a problem with the setting, it's something to be resolved at the table.

Modron

Arcane
'i heard that a resourceful neonate once killed Los Angeles' sheriff so i'm sure you can do the job ms phyre'
The neonate probably wouldn't have won if the sheriff wasn't trying to look cool by swinging a buster sword you know instead of just a normal sword.

Delterius

Arcane
The neonate probably wouldn't have won if the sheriff wasn't trying to look cool by swinging a buster sword you know instead of just a normal sword.
buster sword or no the sheriff was too busy puking blood due to tremere magic spam (canon)

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Sword wasn't going to help him after he turned into a chiropteran marauder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom