Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

flyingjohn

Arcane
If a studio like Chinese Room chooses such an image for promotion, it means that a quiet revolution is taking place in the industry
Studios massively removing gender and replacing with body type is more telling of how things are going.

Semiurge

Cipher
Big titty lady is still with us.

If a studio like Chinese Room chooses such an image for promotion, it means that a quiet revolution is taking place in the industry. Just as in the years 2012-2017 the foundations of our industry were created in the form it is now (with all these gay sensitivities), it is gradually moving away from it. I don't know where we're going yet, but the world is changing.

Thank you, Big Titty Lady.

Lou_Pleased.png

Why did they lose the red hair that was present in the early HSL prerendered preview? Did they seriously think that a lawsuit was even remotely possible?

And now we see something different. And I think this is a general change for the industry.

That probably has two reasons: 1) Lou Graham was an important figure of Seattle's past and 2) as with the Brujah biker and Nosferatu Samuel TCR got the HSL model which they could edit easily.

Chinese Room is just stitching together what the previous team left behind, so they would throw Lou out when she wasn't important to the narrative. She is probably related to at least one main quest, several important locations and side quests.

However, my point is that this character was omitted in their own trailer year ago. Not because they wanted to cut her out, but not long ago a trailer with a busty character would have been perceived as something bad. And now we see it in the development log. I emphasize - this is about Chinese Room, a very woke studio. So if they do this, this change in approach must be even greater for other studies.

Nah. Maybe they just wanted there to be one token sexpot as fanservice. The main thing is that you aren't allowed to assume such an archaeo-sexist form as the main character.

Wesp5

Arcane
Why did they lose the red hair that was present in the early HSL prerendered preview? Did they seriously think that a lawsuit was even remotely possible?

You mean some red haired player could be offended by the representation ;)? Honestly, was Lou Graham red haired? I have only seen black and white photos :).

Semiurge

Cipher

You mean some red haired player could be offended by the representation ;)? Honestly, was Lou Graham red haired? I have only seen black and white photos :).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376716/

I don't think enough is known about the real Lou Graham to say what color hair she had. Auburn red hair can look very dark in b&w photos.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
If a studio like Chinese Room chooses such an image for promotion, it means that a quiet revolution is taking place in the industry
Studios massively removing gender and replacing with body type is more telling of how things are going.

Yes. For now, corporations are experimenting with what happens when they dismantle these departments, and as everything suddenly becomes cheaper and easier, this process will continue.

Big titty lady is still with us.

If a studio like Chinese Room chooses such an image for promotion, it means that a quiet revolution is taking place in the industry. Just as in the years 2012-2017 the foundations of our industry were created in the form it is now (with all these gay sensitivities), it is gradually moving away from it. I don't know where we're going yet, but the world is changing.

Thank you, Big Titty Lady.

Lou_Pleased.png

I think that with such an unskilled studio it's easier to keep a consistent color palette, where anything left from the pattern may be too visible.

And now we see something different. And I think this is a general change for the industry.

That probably has two reasons: 1) Lou Graham was an important figure of Seattle's past and 2) as with the Brujah biker and Nosferatu Samuel TCR got the HSL model which they could edit easily.

Chinese Room is just stitching together what the previous team left behind, so they would throw Lou out when she wasn't important to the narrative. She is probably related to at least one main quest, several important locations and side quests.

However, my point is that this character was omitted in their own trailer year ago. Not because they wanted to cut her out, but not long ago a trailer with a busty character would have been perceived as something bad. And now we see it in the development log. I emphasize - this is about Chinese Room, a very woke studio. So if they do this, this change in approach must be even greater for other studies.

Nah. Maybe they just wanted there to be one token sexpot as fanservice. The main thing is that you aren't allowed to assume such an archaeo-sexist form as the main character.

If so, it's still a signal of change. Small but significant. Once a revolution stops, it can only retreat.

so they would throw Lou out when she wasn't important to the narrative. She is probably related to at least one main quest, several important locations and side quests.
She's the ex-Prince of Seattle now.

Which makes her a natural part of a plot set in Seattle. As a queen who wants to come back or a sage, either way the player will encounter her before reaching the primogen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The prerendered video was total fakery and never representative of what they were actually making. This was HSL's model:

qm06xzkOKp9i.png

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The prerendered video was total fakery and never representative of what they were actually making. This was HSL's model:

qm06xzkOKp9i.png
I like this version better. But still, beggars can't be choosers. It's insane they actually put this in considering the times.

Semiurge

Cipher

qm06xzkOKp9i.png
I like this version better. But still, beggars can't be choosers. It's insane they actually put this in considering the times.

That dialogue exchange would've been the perfect chance for creative depth-of-field use.

The President

Educated
The in game HSL Lou Grand looks quite different from the Christina Hendricks model they used in videos.

Those were the screenshots from the guy who posted the gameplay vids, paradox made him take down no?

S.torch

Liturgist

This guy makes a good point a few seconds in that part of the video.
He points out nobody remembers Bloodlines for the combat, but all this time what TCR's been showing is combat packed sections with little to no anything else.

The Mitsoda and Co. version if I remember correctly showed sections of exploration + dialog + combat, they also released these small animated clips of lore showcasing each clan including thinbloods. More varied and closer to the previous game content. Reason why it was being better received.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Mitsoda and Co. version if I remember correctly showed sections of exploration + dialog + combat, they also released these small animated clips of lore showcasing each clan including thinbloods. More varied and closer to the previous game content. Reason why it was being better received.
Yeah what is more troubling (to me) is any showcase of even basic exploration or different ways to approach and achieve an objective.

So we have dialogue tracking. That's a good start. Could turn out to be completely useless, or not.
And we have different combat abilities, with the different clans... ok.

Laz Sundays

Educated
This guy makes a good point a few seconds in that part of the video.
He points out nobody remembers Bloodlines for the combat, but all this time what TCR's been showing is combat packed sections with little to no anything else.

He also makes a great remark @20:22, which I've often thought of. Although I've used it to argue the difference between games that are made around their story/character vs games having an immersive, explorable ("living")worlds which can support any story/character.

And how fucking sad is it that ancient games like Gothic and Desu Ex nailed both voiced protag and immersive world, yet noone is able to figure out the recipe decades after.

sosmoflux

Educated
Because the graphics were shitty enough that it forced your imagination to fill the gaps, which entranced you more into the space, ergo immersion.

You don't and can't get that with modern realistic graphics.

The further you stray from interpreting a medium through your localised imagination, the less immersive something can be.

It's really that simple.

The only addendum to this is when the graphics and technology are so superior to anything you've seen before that the sense of wonder (I have no idea what to expect, anything is possible!) also leverages the imagination. Though, plainly, that is becoming harder and harder to achieve.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Because the graphics were shitty enough that it forced your imagination to fill the gaps, which entranced you more into the space, ergo immersion.

You don't and can't get that with modern realistic graphics.

The further you stray from interpreting a medium through your localised imagination, the less immersive something can be.

It's really that simple.

The only addendum to this is when the graphics and technology are so superior to anything you've seen before that the sense of wonder (I have no idea what to expect, anything is possible!) also leverages the imagination. Though, plainly, that is becoming harder and harder to achieve.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. Gorgeous visuals are used today to distract you from seeing lack. I still wonder, but the depth isn't there because noone made it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom