Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
it's a specific thing WoD started doing to be edgy
Nah, D&D 3.5E was already on that feminist pronoun bullshit.

They had a canon character for each class with a defined sex and race, and used that character's pronouns for all description involving that class. For example, the "iconic" Druid was female, so all the Druid's class description used female pronouns. The DM was also assumed to be female and they used female pronouns for it. For NPCs and other generic things, IIRC they alternated between pronouns.
I can attest for DnD5, but 3.5? Naaah.
It was all over Eberron and Pathfinder manuals, which were near the end of 3.5 cycle. Dont think there was that thing in the Core handbooks.
Scroll up my man. Screens are from the core.

leino

Cipher
Nigger I had the manuals open to confirm while writing.

I think it started with 3.5E and not 3E; not sure, I don't have the 3E manuals on hand anymore.

Here's part of p.33 of the 3.5E PHB, first page of the druid. Followed by p.42, the paladin. It's the same for the monk, rogue, wizard, and a lot of other stuff.

EABlviT.jpg

5IorPWW.jpg

And here is the DMG 3.5E, p.11, with the switching between male and female pronouns when refering to a player. One could even say the connotations are more negative towards players with male pronouns, but I think that would be reading too much into it.

eGWWjLX.jpg

There is more obviously, those are just random pages I flipped to, manuals are like that all over.

The usage seems to predate 3.5e dnd in WoD cause checking the 2e VtM players guide from 1993 on libgen she appears throughout:
BChnZMA.jpg

As an esl it seems fair enough to me, especially in a context like VtM where the characters in fact might as well be female as male. I think I've seen it in college textbooks so it may not even come from rpgs. Who knows :o

skaraher

Prophet
it's a specific thing WoD started doing to be edgy
Nah, D&D 3.5E was already on that feminist pronoun bullshit.

They had a canon character for each class with a defined sex and race, and used that character's pronouns for all description involving that class. For example, the "iconic" Druid was female, so all the Druid's class description used female pronouns. The DM was also assumed to be female and they used female pronouns for it. For NPCs and other generic things, IIRC they alternated between pronouns.
I can attest for DnD5, but 3.5? Naaah.
It was all over Eberron and Pathfinder manuals, which were near the end of 3.5 cycle. Dont think there was that thing in the Core handbooks.
Scroll up my man. Screens are from the core.
My bad, never noticed it in the french manual so maybe it was canned by the translation team. Or maybe it's my rose tinted glasses speaking.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The usage seems to predate 3.5e dnd in WoD cause checking the 2e VtM players guide from 1993 on libgen she appears throughout
Damn, 1993.

Usage of pronouns on this page alternates and seems to fit gender stereotypes, wonder if it's all "sexist" like that from current year POV.

"Her" is used in regards to "calming her", and for a power to conceal mind and body. "He/Him" is used when talking of a "master" and his "victim" (because of the view that men must protect women, so you don't even put them in as example victims). That interpretation is probably reaching though.

RagingNomad

Educated
I want to remind you that we already have "Character" folder in the game. So there is must to be possibility of gender and look choose. And for ppl who asked about world explanation for Elder: there is "Codex" folder such as in Swansong. I think game just give you terminology in the right time when it will needed.

231231123123.png

Herumor

Scholar
there is "Codex" folder such as in Swansong
I can understand these types of things in rather large settings, like the first Mass Effect, but for something like Bloodlines it's just not needed. You don't have to know everything, not everything needs to have an infodump dialogue or just straight up wiki pages pasted into some kind of in-game lexicon.

Trithne

Erudite
I can understand these types of things in rather large settings, like the first Mass Effect, but for something like Bloodlines it's just not needed. You don't have to know everything, not everything needs to have an infodump dialogue or just straight up wiki pages pasted into some kind of in-game lexicon.
You don't need to, but you will.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just part of the new accessibility. HSL's had one too.
b1y2jb0.jpg

The President

Educated
Interesting. Tully is the weird looking Nosferatu that was in the old HSL version too I think. In the new video it shows him hiding behind glass with what looks like rioters trying to get in. Maybe that’s it.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Tully's nickname is likely "the Hive", there is amalgam of obfuscate and animalism (both Disciplines used by Nosferatu) to achieve this effect.
- Unliving Hive: Amalgam Obfuscate 2. The vampire can become a permanent home for swarms of flies or cockroaches or similar small creatures.

Ryong Choi is likely the asian woman we see in the trailer, who I also assume is the new Prince. From the live play it seems Lou still holds the actual power behind the scenes despite renouncing Praxis.

Thin-bloods seem to be captured and tortured by the Cam, so the mass thin-blood embrace might still be a plot point. What's strange is how cocky these "thin blood ghouls" are. And why the thin-bloods are tortured and not just Dominated for information then disposed of.

Delterius

Arcane
On the contrary, I'd argue it's actually necessary this time. Vampire is full of little terms like Prince, Sheriff and so on. The player can probably assume what those mean. They can probably deduce that Camarilla stands for 'vampire government' and Anarch stands for 'people who want a different vampire government'. But then you've got Elysium, Thin-blooded, Kuei-jin, Harpy, Primogen, Hound, and it keeps going. So here's the problem. We're playing an Elder. We can't just be explained stuff outright. Having a Codex or hypertext would be a great help for the dialogue to flow better.

Case in point, BL1 didn't have a Codex. But it explained concepts like Elysium and Primogen in the loading screens. It's like a Codex with a luck factor involved.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
We're playing an Elder. We can't just be explained stuff outright. Having a Codex or hypertext would be a great help for the dialogue to flow better.
Perfect reasoning unfortunately the average player won't read any codex entries anyway.

It was tested with Swansong where a lot of the backstory happened in codex entries so that characters wouldn't go on a rant explaining their whole life story just for you to grasp their motivations. It all went unread anyway and people not knowing what the fuck was going on.

So I fully expect them to spoonfeed you like a toddler despite playing as an elder.

Vincente

Arbiter
Bloodlines never went overboard with WOD humongus (and mostly shit) lore. It used strictly what was necessary for the game's storytelling purpose and it was very good.
They mostly used the loading screen as necessary lore feed, like a small paragraph on Tzimizce before King's Way, or the Embrace before the first cinematic.

Ryong Choi is likely the asian woman we see in the trailer, who I also assume is the new Prince. From the live play it seems Lou still holds the actual power behind the scenes despite renouncing Praxis.
Ryang Choi seems like a masculine name, doubt that's the woman in the trailer, also they already mentioned the new Prince's name in the liveplay.

Delterius

Arcane
It was tested with Swansong where a lot of the backstory happened in codex entries
I mean, that's pretty bad too. Codex entries should be utilitarian. Things shouldn't be so in media res I have to do homework to understand someone's motivations. At that point you should take the hypothetical rant, cut the shaff, and simply have the character act according to someone who lived the events of the rant. People will get the message.

I now realize it would be rather amusing if you, the protagonist, ended up explaining to a neonate what Elysium and shit are.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom