Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

scytheavatar

Scholar
The Hardsuit Labs game version has been completed - playable from start to finish with all planned content and mechanics ready, with only polishing remaining.

Means nothing................. polishing is the most important part of the game dev process and can take far more time and effort than what many realize. FFXVI and Baldur's Gate 3 was in the polishing stage for 1 year. It would still be a significant amount of dev time and money that needs to be poured into the game before it is in a releasable state, and if Paradox decided the Hardsuit game wasn't good enough to be worth pouring more money into why would you disagree with them?

It's not like Paradox is exactly rich or cares too much about IP (considering the amount of total rubbish they've released under it over the years).

Paradox is in a difficult position because the strategy genre has shrank a lot in recent times. They need to branch out of strategy games in order to survive, and Bloodlines 2 is a very important part of that.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
I think it'll be an honest, heartfelt effort by TCR but it won't meet the expectations people have for Bloodlines 2.

It resonates with what their community manager said, that he loves the game and the IP but is afraid of people's expectations being too high, which means the game isn't some boundary-pushing excellency.

Paradox is in a difficult position because the strategy genre has shrank a lot in recent times. They need to branch out of strategy games in order to survive, and Bloodlines 2 is a very important part of that.

I don't think this is true. As far as strategy games dying overall, I can't really speak to that but it seems like Paradox has reliable fanbases that will eat up anything they put out. Plus Cities Skylines 2 is going to probably make them very happy, it just seems like Bloodlines 2 will determine whether or not they pursue Action-RPGs again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The few people who played it and could report it say the game was fun enough.

I wouldn't trust Paradox employees like Outshill.

I don't understand. If the chinese room bit more than they can chew then wouldn't it make sense for them to reuse as much as possible from the previous work done by Hardsuit labs? I don't think they reworked everything from zero. It doesn't make sense. And the release is 2024. There's no way. In the trailer you can see some of the vampiric powers like hovering and that explosion thing that were also shown in the previous vtmb 2 videos from Hardsuit labs.

Gonna drag this link out again https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/644203572507082752/a-bunch-of-you-have-questions-about-project

The quick version is that it would take far more time learning how to figure out HSL's cobbled code than it would be to start over themselves. Three+ years is enough time to make a role-playing game that doesn't try to take a kitchen sink approach or do too much.

You never told me your own guess, R. I say this is going to be a total collapse of a jankfest. Maybe not notoriously poor in a memorable sense, but I foresee it'll clearly not be an honest effort/ok game in the rough. It'll be unequivocally bad.

What's your prediction?

I don't know. Teaser trailers barely tell you anything, I'll need to see what they have in January or possibly even later. I have more optimism in this premise than Mitsoda's, that's it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The few people who played it and could report it say the game was fun enough.

I don't understand. If the chinese room bit more than they can chew then wouldn't it make sense for them to reuse as much as possible from the previous work done by Hardsuit labs? I don't think they reworked everything from zero. It doesn't make sense. And the release is 2024. There's no way. In the trailer you can see some of the vampiric powers like hovering and that explosion thing that were also shown in the previous vtmb 2 videos from Hardsuit labs.

Gonna drag this link out again https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/644203572507082752/a-bunch-of-you-have-questions-about-project

The quick version is that it would take far more time learning how to figure out HSL's cobbled code than it would be to start over themselves. Three+ years is enough time to make a role-playing game that doesn't try to take a kitchen sink approach or do too much.

You never told me your own guess, R. I say this is going to be a total collapse of a jankfest. Maybe not notoriously poor in a memorable sense, but I foresee it'll clearly not be an honest effort/ok game in the rough. It'll be unequivocally bad.

What's your prediction?

I don't know. Teaser trailers barely tell you anything, I'll need to see what they have in January or possibly even later. I have more optimism in this premise than Mitsoda's, that's it.

Well you’re no fun. Take a guess

Cross

Arcane
Three+ years is enough time to make a role-playing game
Not in the current year, and certainly not from this developer. Their walking simulator Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was released more than 3 years after they announced it, and that was even with funding from Sony.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being a glorified action game, with a few different abilities depending on your Clan, and for the rest a boring skill tree like you have in every modern action "RPG". That might be the reason why they made the protagonist an Elder, so they wouldn't have to bother with all those pesky RPG character development systems.

Three+ years is enough time to make a role-playing game
Not in the current year, and certainly not from this developer. Their walking simulator Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was released more than 3 years after they announced it, and that was even with funding from Sony.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being a glorified action game, with a few different abilities depending on your Clan, and for the rest a boring skill tree like you have in every modern action "RPG". That might be the reason why they made the protagonist an Elder, so they wouldn't have to bother with all those pesky RPG character development systems.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was made by like 20 people. All those people are gone and now Bloodlines 2 is being re-jiggered by a studio that's grown 5 times that size at least plus they're receiving a lot of support from Sumo Digital, which has like a shit ton of studios who do all sorts of support work. The Chinese Room isn't even making their Still Wakes The Deep game by themselves. Sumo has thrown a lot of employees from their other studios on that project too.

A "medium"-sized AAA action-RPG in three years is totally doable especially with the inevitable DLC onslaught this game is going to receive.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Vatnik Wumao
I don't think this is true. As far as strategy games dying overall, I can't really speak to that but it seems like Paradox has reliable fanbases that will eat up anything they put out.
Sure, but they're capitalizing on that through DLCs for games that already have a loyalized consumer base that was built over the years. But when they go on to release sequels to said games, it's questionable whether they'd be able to retain the same amount of loyal consumers. Not only because the sequels on release happen to have a lot less content than their DLC-bloated predecessors (hence regardless of how good the sequel is, a lot of people will prefer to stay with the more complete game even if the newer iteration has more polish which in turn could lead to a better gaming experience a few dozen DLC and quite a few years down the line), but also due to their questionable development strategies like with their focus on pointless 3D gimmicks meant to appeal to a broader audience as well as their neglect for historical simulation as the main pillar of their game: partly due to incompetence, partly due to prioritizing memes over immersiveness (& their casualization of gameplay) and - perhaps most damning - due to their desire to have stronger brand identities for each of their grand strategy franchises. Not that the latter is a bad thing in itself, but they already had that by virtue of each franchise covering a different historical period; issue is that they now want this brand identity to correspond to general gameplay differences as well - one area of gameplay being overdeveloped while the other areas are heavily underdeveloped (e.g. HoI is the war simulation franchise, so the rest of the gameplay is reduced to lame foci & co.; Vicky is the economic simulation franchise, so the rest is reduced to subpar mechanics like with their partial implementation of EUIV-style diplomacy and with their abstractization of war in Vicky3). And that can only be done to the detriment of the simulationist sort of gameplay that they set out to achieve with all of their grand strategy franchises. No wonder that Paradox prefers to continue milking the overbloated EUIV with DLCs rather than releasing EUV since the latter will either turn out as an Imperator (if Johan actually ends up removing mana, implementing pops and so on) or - in spirit with their 'brand identity' nonsense - it'll turn out as the Paradox equivalent to Risk with a corresponding lack of depth in gameplay and with no simulationist appeal. And at that point, just like with CK2 and Vicky2 fans that didn't move onto the sequels (many of whom did give them a chance and ended up disappointed in them), a lot of people will continue playing EUIV and not move onto EUV.

(Also paging Delterius & FreeKaner for this particular discussion.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well you’re no fun. Take a guess

Might as well flip a coin. Pessimists will be pessimists, optimists will be optimists. I don't know the scope or the parameters they've set for themselves so I have no clue.

Reminder this link only provides an educated guess but has no actual inside knowledge on the project. Don't know why you are dragging it out again.
A "guess" made when the game was cancelled that turned out to be absolutely correct based on the recent announcement. A game developer with vocational knowledge knows what he's talking about, what a shock.

Person with experience in this field: This is likely going to happen.
You, person with no experience in this field: But what if something else?!

Herumor

Scholar
I have no idea why people like her - people employed in PR/community manager/shill-in-charge - were ever taken seriously to begin with. She gets paid to tell you it's gonna be good.

Vatnik Wumao
People are far too confident Mitsoda would've waved his magic wand and fixed the mess HSL's game was shaping up to be.
TCR so far has shown good judgement in getting rid of the cringe (Thinblood protag w/ clan disciplines, wacky stoner sidekick, shameless 'member berry antics with Damsel's return and Ocean House callbacks, etc.). I'm pretty confident we'll be getting the better game with them, whatever that may actually amount to.
Wasn't the thin blood protagonist meant to promote their new ruleset? It could have been an interesting choice to have a weak player character with the need to actively use the blood alchemy system (harvesting resonance from humans to get limited use disciplines).

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
A "guess" made when the game was cancelled that turned out to be absolutely correct based on the recent announcement. A game developer with vocational knowledge knows what he's talking about, what a shock.
No. Partially correct, some parts seem to check out, others are completely up in the air because this is indeed a guess. That's how guesses work, this Tumblerina you keep quoting has no privileged information at all — whatsoever — on this project.

Person with experience in this field: This is likely going to happen.
Ah I remember the good old days of the lockdowns and the dangerous virus and the vaxx. I remember people "with experience in this field" telling everyone to get injected with a questionable treatment called a vaccine, without even being one. I remember people "with experience in this field" telling us natural immunity didn't really work, what you needed was regular injections.

How many injections did you get Roguey?

You, person with no experience in this field: But what if something else?!
Turned out I was right about the global pandemic. Turns out anyone can actually be right about things they aren't (seemingly) experts on, just by using basic deduction. Claiming expertise is utterly uninteresting and a banal logical fallacy anyway.

Modron

Arcane
The last time I tried a VTM cyoa text game it had trannies and pronouns in it. Each and everyone of those choice of games are written by a different a person it's a bit like walking through a minefield in regards to what you're going to get.

People are far too confident Mitsoda would've waved his magic wand and fixed the mess HSL's game was shaping up to be.
TCR so far has shown good judgement in getting rid of the cringe (Thinblood protag w/ clan disciplines, wacky stoner sidekick, shameless 'member berry antics with Damsel's return and Ocean House callbacks, etc.). I'm pretty confident we'll be getting the better game with them, whatever that may actually amount to.
Wasn't the thin blood protagonist meant to promote their new ruleset? It could have been an interesting choice to have a weak player character with the need to actively use the blood alchemy system (harvesting resonance from humans to get limited use disciplines).

It might have been inspired by that but Mitsoda said that they wanted the player to see what the different clans were like before choosing one as "picking a clan, changing your mind, and then restarting with a new character" was apparently some problem that needed addressing.

Gradenmayer

Learned

It might have been inspired by that but Mitsoda said that they wanted the player to see what the different clans were like before choosing one as "picking a clan, changing your mind, and then restarting with a new character" was apparently some problem that needed addressing.
For thinblood to not be a shittier human, game would have to shit out another “chosen one” plot, right?

Why would any clan accept a thinblood?

For thinblood to not be a shittier human, game would have to shit out another “chosen one” plot, right?

Why would any clan accept a thinblood?

I believe you chose your clan through Diablerie.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I don't understand why anyone would want TCR to rescue the work done by the Hardsuit version............. Paradox's assessment was that the Hardsuit version is irredeemable trash and there's a need to reset the project. With that assessment I am not sure there's any good in TCR touching anything in the Hardsuit version. Generating of asset is easy and straightforward, it's actually making a good game that is complicated and that we do not know if TCR can pull off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom