Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

La vie sexuelle

Learned

ArchAngel

Arcane
Kindred the embraced wasn’t that bad for a 90’s show. The only other vampire show I remember from that period was Forever Knight. I was a kid during the 90’s but I remember all the crap my parents were into that they would be embarrassed to admit they liked back then. Gotta remember too even HBO was young then and modern big budget shows with long running seasons and plots didn’t really start until the Sopranos.

I actually do think with the proper showrunners and plot line VTM could do better than Anne Rice’s adaptations. The IP now though has too many cooks in the kitchen and even someone who could do it right would get overridden by all the bullshit. If it was me doing it, I’d probably start a season following a new embrace of a clan and really introduce that clan’s culture and slowly tie it to the bigger setting. I also think they’d have to commit early to how exactly dark they want it to be.
Kindred was pretty good, too bad main actor died and took the show with him.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Aesthetics is not a closed system of meanings, but rather a social sense of certain connections between ugliness and beauty.
Yes, aesthetics is a word with meaning. No, horror does not have an overarching aesthetic.

Just as I said, "horror" is more sensitivity than real term. Like science-fiction, fantasy or noir. And it is this sensitivity that translates into aesthetics.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Like science-fiction, fantasy or noir. And it is this sensitivity that translates into aesthetics
Out of those only noir has an overarching aesthetic, which relates to my point exactly, horror does not and neither do fantasy or science-fiction.

On the one hand, you use terms as real entities with clear boundaries, and on the other hand, you arbitrarily indicate what meets the conditions of the term and what does not.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
On the one hand, you use terms as real entities with clear boundaries, and on the other hand, you arbitrarily indicate what meets the conditions of the term and what does not.
Simple, noir can be for a good part defined by it's aesthetics, the others can not. Also, those are one and the same hand, no other hand.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Simple, noir can be for a good part defined by it's aesthetics, the others can not. Also, those are one and the same hand, no other hand.

Simple, a cat can be considered an animal based on its appearance, but a dog cannot. Also, there is no contradiction in this.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Ok this won't go anywhere, please resume regular programming :lol:

Life, especially human life, has little in common with the artificial world of programming. Culture is not a calculus of predicates. This was my objection two posts ago - you treat terms as real entities that you throw into the calculus of predicates, i.e. closed wholes in logical relationships. The problem is that terms, especially those that do not have their own material referents, in the social sense have an open, associative nature. Deal with it.

J1M

Arcane
i'm watching kindred the embraced and wow its baaaaaaad
Well, it's old. Probably still better than any other vampire themed tv shows.
The articles say the show was considered too complex for the general audience due to 5 clans and many characters... '90s sure were a weird place, were people really that dumb?
There was no video on demand, so studios insisted on plots that didn't ask the audience to bring anything in the way of context.

24 was a turning point for longer arcs, but it had lengthy "previously on" summaries at the start of each episode. (Soap operas don't count because the characters slowly explain the context of each scene as it unfolds and characters make decisions based solely on emotion.)

Semiurge

Cipher
Ok this won't go anywhere, please resume regular programming :lol:

He just meant gothic horror.... I think. Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley etc. The root of modern vampire fiction. Stoker took influence from folklore and real historical people and laid groundwork for centuries to come.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
24 was a turning point for longer arcs, but it had lengthy "previously on" summaries at the start of each episode.

Babylon 5 already did longer arcs almost a decade before 24 and it worked fine!

Hill Street Blues from 1981 was perhaps the originator of a non-daytime drama show with long-running plots and lengthy "previously on" recap sequences. Also Twin Peaks from 1990 which was an edgy daytime drama that aired at night. These shows tended to be outliers though, the majority of programming was one-and-done with occasional two-parters. Despite receiving a ton of critical acclaim, HSB was never a ratings hit, Twin Peaks was a hit for one season before the normies got fed up with Lynch's refusal to solve the mystery, tuned-in in droves to watch the mystery revealed early in the second season, then immediately turned it off again, and Babylon 5 was always on shaky ground which resulted in its almost-cancellation in season 4 which resulted in JMS compressing an entire year of stories in a few episodes, getting uncancelled at the last minute, and then having to tread water for that entire season because he already rushed through all his big story beats.

Wesp5

Arcane
Babylon 5 was always on shaky ground which resulted in its almost-cancellation in season 4 which resulted in JMS compressing an entire year of stories in a few episodes, getting uncancelled at the last minute, and then having to tread water for that entire season because he already rushed through all his big story beats.

Nice summary! For many Babylon 5 fans there is not fifth season, same as there are no SW sequels for many SW fans ;). Even JMS couldn't improvise that good! It's a miracle he managed to rework several actor changes of main characters (Sinclair/Sheridan, Ivanova/Lochley, Lyta/Talia and more) in the first place...

La vie sexuelle

Learned
He just meant gothic horror
Excuse me, are you using the word gothic as a real entity that you throw into a calculus of predicates? How quaint :lol:

First you accused me that horror is not an aesthetic without providing any arguments beyond your own whim, then I tried to explain to you the connection between loose terms like "horror" and "aesthetics" and what logic says about it, then you responded, I quote: “glhf tho.”

It's hard for me to take you seriously.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:hmmm:

Fabulous​

:prosper:

(And take video's please).​

:timetoburn:

Why are you geh? Should I call you mista?
I have been gone for quite a number of years, I would have assumed you do know I am one of the openly gay men here on the codex?

Now I know. And I repeat my question: Why are you gae? You put peepee in poopoo? Are you trangenda?
I don't think this is the proper thread to be discussing that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom