Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Jacov

Educated
HS at least had decency to show dialogue checks.
And how do you know TCR doesn't?
Yeah, we saw a grand total of two dialogue menus and Bloodlines certainly didn't have a check in every or even most conversations.

Of course it's still possible they did away with them. If they know they can't do them well, does one think they should do them at all?
2 > 0
(Or did you mean the new Bloodlines? Nonetheless, if they have skill checks, why not show them in the video about dialogues and narrative?)

An attempt, even shitty one, is better than nothing. Apathy is death.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Why didn't TCR show them in their video then? Such important part of RPG writing and they don't highlight it in their PR talk about «Narrative & RPG Stream»?

When the dev in the video is asked about how players will be able to customize their narrative experience, he doesn't outright answer that «you will have dialogue choices based on your clan and stats», instead giving some evasive non-answer. The only thing even related to character development mentioned is clans, with no additional info.

I of course, hope I'm wrong, but this is just another red flag.
Stop jumping to conclusions. You will have to play the game seven times to be able to truly tell if it is bad or not.

Bulo

Scholar
Now now, let us not scale to their level. IF they know they can't do dialogue checks well, they shouldn't be making any RPG, much less VTMB2. But that stil remains to be determined.
I wouldn't hold that against them. Most* RPGs don't have super-compelling dialogue checks and this includes Bloodlines itself. A lot of people (me included) still like having them though. As long as they're not "You're a computer" stupid.

Also, for fun, here's a bunch of screenshots I had already taken of Bloodlines dialogue with checkless or limited dialogue options to remember it as it was and not the game in one's head.
C7Jsr97.jpg

4bqpnWs.jpg

zVtfl1b.jpg

85lqCQt.jpg

55jWFiA.jpg

E8tVM0z.jpg

vqHKHNm.jpg

etUHlEn.jpg
J552hY6.png

Jacov

Educated
Why didn't TCR show them in their video then? Such important part of RPG writing and they don't highlight it in their PR talk about «Narrative & RPG Stream»?

When the dev in the video is asked about how players will be able to customize their narrative experience, he doesn't outright answer that «you will have dialogue choices based on your clan and stats», instead giving some evasive non-answer. The only thing even related to character development mentioned is clans, with no additional info.

Stop jumping to conclusions. You will have to play the game seven times to be able to truly tell if it is bad or not.
I'm only basing my assumptions on what I'm shown. As a potential customer, I want RPG devs to talk about RPG mechanics in an RPG game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(Or did you mean the new Bloodlines? Nonetheless, if they have skill checks, why not show them in the video about dialogues and narrative?)
Because they don't really have anything to show (they told us about the narrative reactivity to clothing but couldn't show us) and they really shouldn't have shown those two obviously unfinished scenes to begin with since it only created negative reactions.

If checks are so important to you, you can always play Swansong. :troll:
ss_0b90d6029632a76c687bbfced339c0d29c4650ec.1920x1080.jpg

ss_79f9cd197e5f046e3e6fdd26ab21a8546daa5892.1920x1080.jpg

The President

Educated
You’ll get a video dev diary in two weeks and in January apparently a longer gameplay video. It’ll be hard to say what we’ll get dialogue tree wise until those two are seen.

Latelistener

Arcane
Now now, let us not scale to their level. IF they know they can't do dialogue checks well, they shouldn't be making any RPG, much less VTMB2. But that stil remains to be determined.
I wouldn't hold that against them. Most* RPGs don't have super-compelling dialogue checks and this includes Bloodlines itself. A lot of people (me included) still like having them though. As long as they're not "You're a computer" stupid.

Also, for fun, here's a bunch of screenshots I had already taken of Bloodlines dialogue with checkless or limited dialogue options to remember it as it was and not the game in one's head.
C7Jsr97.jpg

4bqpnWs.jpg

zVtfl1b.jpg

85lqCQt.jpg

55jWFiA.jpg

E8tVM0z.jpg

vqHKHNm.jpg

etUHlEn.jpg
Its strength lies in seven playable clans though, with its peak as Malkavian, Nosferatu and Tremere.

Interactions with your primogen, plus your own unique powers is what makes it worthwhile.

Wesp5

Arcane
Because they don't really have anything to show (they told us about the narrative reactivity to clothing but couldn't show us) and they really shouldn't have shown those two obviously unfinished scenes to begin with since it only created negative reactions.

If checks are so important to you, you can always play Swansong.
The problem is that TCR choose to show these scenes first which had little choices and also the whole conversation looked like Swansong except for the internal mechanims which they better hide like Bloodlines.

sosmoflux

Educated
"Whoa, did I just do that?"
" I just sucked a guy's neck with my freakin' fangs!"
"There's a werewolf behind me, isn't there"

Bulo

Scholar
So at this point it's all but confirmed that this game is going to be yet another case of soyboys and women taking something that used to be cool and deforming it into a grotesque effigy they'll burn to own straight white gamers
You say that as if the first game didn't have LGBT representation too

2hbK5qK.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The four playable clans will almost assuredly be Ventrue, Toreador, Tremere, and Brujah.
Tremere - pretentious cunts
Brujah - sick of those punks, they are nothing but a bunch of BLM activists, far from the warrior philosophers they were in the ancient days and the Dark Ages.
I rather would have preferred Malks and Nosferatu.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Its strength lies in seven playable clans though, with its peak as Malkavian, Nosferatu and Tremere.

Interactions with your primogen, plus your own unique powers is what makes it worthwhile.
Joking aside, there is no way this is the general consensus, surely.

Nosferatu has one added line of dialogue at the start of each npc's intro, then defaults back to normal dialogue even when it actually contradicts their opening reaction.
Same with Malkavian, but at least not as jarring as with the Nosferatu.
The Tremere get one unique player house that you only go in to check the mail.

I'm not even going to touch the "Interactions with your primogen" because it's low hanging fruit.

Rougey said:
They promised "surprises" so I expect at least one will be a clan that wasn't in the first one.
Banu Haqim/Assamite seems like a nobrainer to me. Turkic main character and we've seen both blood sorcery and celerity being used--they already have 2/3rds of Assamite Disciplines in the game, and I doubt they won't include something as iconic as Obfuscate as well.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I would probably rate the stream as a disaster. It built the opposite of hype. The little gameplay that was shown was bad.

Now this could be for any number of reasons, ranging from laziness to not understanding what the game's core audience wants to see. I've been there.

Or it could be that those sections were the best they have to show at the moment, which is worrying.

I want this game to succeed because of personal financial reasons, but at this point it's basically a red flag storage zone.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Why couldn't this just stay dead? I have never been more disheartened by a game sequel than right after watching this trailer. Amazon "LotR" rapefest-tier awful.

If checks are so important to you, you can always play Swansong.
The problem is that TCR choose to show these scenes first which had little choices and also the whole conversation looked like Swansong except for the internal mechanims which they better hide like Bloodlines.

Looks like Paradox has a real dumpster Phyre on their hands

Rougey said:
They promised "surprises" so I expect at least one will be a clan that wasn't in the first one.
Banu Haqim/Assamite seems like a nobrainer to me. Turkic main character and we've seen both blood sorcery and celerity being used--they already have 2/3rds of Assamite Disciplines in the game, and I doubt they won't include something as iconic as Obfuscate as well.

Dying Light 2 has Banu Haqim DLC. And that shitty VR game that came out has you play as a Banu Haqim. They're probably in

RagingNomad

Educated
Rougey said:

Dying Light 2 has Banu Haqim DLC. And that shitty VR game that came out has you play as a Banu Haqim. They're probably in
Shitty? Really? Right now I finished it, and that game is awesome. Fine atmosphere, style and plot. What's wrong with you?

RagingNomad

Educated

Joking aside, there is no way this is the general consensus, surely.

Nosferatu has one added line of dialogue at the start of each npc's intro, then defaults back to normal dialogue even when it actually contradicts their opening reaction.
Same with Malkavian, but at least not as jarring as with the Nosferatu.
The Tremere get one unique player house that you only go in to check the mail.

I'm not even going to touch the "Interactions with your primogen" because it's low hanging fruit.
It's good that at least someone understands that VtMB actually doesn't have any serious differences between clans. And more of that, there is no actually choices that influence on you main story. After all you just choose an option from all available options, regardless of previous choices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom