Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Häyhä

Arbiter
It is possible to go from bad to worse. In this case, eh, who knows or cares, neither studio did provide or have provided anything to be excited about. Hardsuit couldn't deliver a game so no point really comparing anything since it was all concept level work, we'll see if CR can actually get the game out.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

Post-Alpha? Now, I don't want to jump to conclusions, TCR, but I believe the common masses of plain people call that a "Beta".

Welp, that "sneak peek" was painful. The facial animations remind me of JRPGs where they only made one set of lip-synching for the Japanese dialogue, so they don't match the English voice acting. Except, that can't be the case here.

Now, considering this is likely the first conversation that takes place in-game, I think we can expect some degree of railroading from Lou's dialogue tree. I'm cautiously optimistic that things branch out once you're dropped into the open world proper. The voice acting and writing aren't too terrible, all things considered, and it's nice to see that the "Lou" character can still be accurately nicknamed "Rackula" by players. Her hair is sexy, too.

Verdict: Looking grim, but it's still too early to pass judgement just yet.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Didn't this get cancelled?
34nzcu.png

Trithne

Erudite
Yes, but Paradox had already started taking preorders for a game that was several years away from release. They probably feel they're required to put something out to try and not throw their reputation in the gutter.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Do Assamites still get darker the older they are? Can a 300+ year old Assamite Elder even look like the protagonist?
Not in V5, no. Their new bane is that it's more difficult to stop themselves from diablerie compared to other vampires. The tremere curse that made vampire blood poisonous to them was also broken.

V5 did a lot to make the assamites playable and actually sought after by the players, to the point of almost pandering.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Most* RPGs don't have super-compelling dialogue checks and this includes Bloodlines itself.
True but kinda not true, its been a long time since I played Bloodlines but i still remember a dialog check where, if you were a malkavian, with enough dementation, you could induce someone to howl to the moon and become permanent crazy and if you were a Ventrue, you could order that person to forget about you, it was one of the few moments where you had a check but I think that sort of thing fits really well on the fantasy of being a certain archetype of vampire (what clans basically are).

I would like more of that stuff and not less. It is a pity that developers always neglect dialog checks as pretty much 80% of people dont replay games.

Semiurge

Cipher
Most* RPGs don't have super-compelling dialogue checks and this includes Bloodlines itself.
True but kinda not true, its been a long time since I played Bloodlines but i still remember a dialog check where, if you were a malkavian, with enough dementation, you could induce someone to howl to the moon and become permanent crazy

That's probably the quest 'Necromantic' where you can use different methods to convince Simon Milligan to shut up about what he's seen in the abandoned hospital. I use the dementation option as a Malk. With all other clans I use the persuasion feat to send him back to the hospital, and to Pisha...

Wesp5

Arcane
There are a lot of cool Malkavian Dementation choices in dialogues, like you can make Samantha believe you are her lost pet turtle or make the patron at the Lotus Blossom think he is a frog. Quite often you got several options: Dominate, Dementate, Presence (added by the plus patch), Persuasion, Seduction and Intimidation! HSL clearly wanted to include something like this, but it isn't visible at all yet from the videos that TCR presented...

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are a lot of cool Malkavian Dementation choices in dialogues, like you can make Samantha believe you are her lost pet turtle or make the patron at the Lotus Blossom think he is a frog. Quite often you got several options: Dominate, Dementate, Presence (added by the plus patch), Persuasion, Seduction and Intimidation! HSL clearly wanted to include something like this, but it isn't visible at all yet from the videos that TCR presented...
You can make Tommy Flayton believe he is eating maggots at the Cavoletti Cafe.

Semiurge

Cipher
You can make Tommy Flayton believe he is eating maggots at the Cavoletti Cafe.

giphy.gif

Joyvankek

Learned
All signs point to the fabian is being in there as a vessel for devs is... sensibilities.
It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that like in C2077 we will be secondary character along for the ride.

Also I don't like the look of our PC nor do I like it's name, "Phyre" really? Just why?
Why can't I make my own PC like I could in VtM:B?
I don't need customizable look of my PC, though it would be nice to have that option, I don't want to look like some butch lesbo, or metro faggot.
Chose his backstory, as what kind of elder he was in the past.
Could be done like it was done in Tyranny, if we want to have some NPC's recognition of our past deeds.

Didn't this get cancelled?

It's in dev hell, and it seems we're up for a disaster.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
If malkavian clan is in the game do you think they will rewrite all the dialogue options from the perspective of the clan member or add any unique interactions? Probably not, they struggle to get the game out as it is. Jesus this will be bad.

Cross

Arcane
Making the protagonist an Elder was always a dumb idea. You can't have a protagonist with centuries of history and immense power also function as a player avatar who gradually improves their skills while doing chores for NPCs. It just doesn't work. Planescape: Torment doesn't count because the Nameless One was designed to be a blank slate for the player, lacking even a name, and that game explored the tension between being both a player-defined and pre-defined protagonist.

You're not getting anything like that here. This tranny (?) looking creature is clearly a pre-defined character in the mold of a Commander Shepard, designed to be as bland and inoffensive as possible, to the point of androgyny. The video repeatedly mentions Mass Effect as an inspiration, as if that wasn't obvious already. Most of the things she (?) says are unprompted, without any input from the player.

So no skill checks, no stealth, no alternate playstyles, no meaningful character customization or development. Just a bunch of badly written, barely interactive cutscenes and combat. And considering they've never designed gameplay before, having solely made walking simulators, the combat system in this game might turn out to be an even bigger disappointment than the narrative.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom