Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Paradox obviously got scared by the HSL version's miserable unsalvageable state and decided that the scope needed to be crunched down, so that the end product would at least resemble a game.
Reducing scope is good, making Dragon Age II: Vampire Edition is their own brand of idiocy.

Yeah, not a lot of skill checks... but I would say no less than in Bloodlines' dialogues.
Too many skill checks can hurt in IF. If not done properly, it heavily encourages metagaming, so I am glad that this game is on the lighter side. I much prefer when interactive novels emphasize your concrete actions and words, which is the case in this game. Missing out on an entire path just because your black magic skill is 79% and not 80% can piss one off.

... [T]he Magisters are my second favourite Clan and that has nothing to do with Sabbat affiliation ....
Careful with these heretical thoughts, brother. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you to be a Camarilla rat. The Sword of Caine can never be broken.

The President

Educated
This game is a great example of why companies generally should and do stick to what they are good at. Paradox makes the bulk of its money on in-house strategy games. No doubt why the new CEO (who is actually the old CEO) is putting the bulk of their resources back on just that, after the last CEO made a lot of investments in outside studios.

We’ll see how this game goes. There is always that small chance they learned their lesson, but when you look at the grand scheme of things they aren’t going anywhere as a business and were perfectly fine with cancelling like they do so many other games.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
This game is a great example of why companies generally should and do stick to what they are good at. Paradox makes the bulk of its money on in-house strategy games. No doubt why the new CEO (who is actually the old CEO) is putting the bulk of their resources back on just that, after the last CEO made a lot of investments in outside studios.

We’ll see how this game goes. There is always that small chance they learned their lesson, but when you look at the grand scheme of things they aren’t going anywhere as a business and were perfectly fine with cancelling like they do so many other games.r
Not for everyone. I don't play strategy games at all. I'm not sure if I'm niche client. I would like more immersive sims, FPS/RPG hybrids in Vampire Dark ages. I welcome this Paradox's intiative for new brands and games.

Harthwain

Magister
Too many skill checks can hurt in IF. If not done properly, it heavily encourages metagaming, so I am glad that this game is on the lighter side.
You can create hidden checks. Then you can only metagame after reading it in a wiki or experimenting yourself.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In fact, I’d argue the opposite: what makes VtM work is exactly the fact that Troika captured the essence of VtM without getting bogged down in superfluous details.
Yep, usually we get scenario 1: boring lore dispensers for characters(Nu Obsidian specialty) or scenario 2: generic cookie cutter characters that have very little in connection with the setting they are in and are basically transplanted walking tropes.

Scenario 1 result is caused by an excess of fear and lack of creativity, scenario 2 is caused by hubris and ego. Having someone with the courage and creativity but still with enough humility on a position of power to not kill the golden egg goose, that is a rare combination, that is why we talk about Bloodlines to this day.

This is one of the reasons why only because someone did something on the past, that doesnt mean they can do it again, people change, particularly if you look to Outer Worlds, that was a product driven by fear (Leonanrd Boyarsky and Tim Cain look like two fearful boomers now) and the HSL Bloodlines looked like some ego trip from Mitsoda and company.

My biggest curiosity is if the Chinese Room, because of the insane ego trip of Mitsoda's version are going to overcorrect and go to the safe fearful Obsidian pole, things revealed so far about Phyre appearance and gameplay arent exactly encouraging.

Too many skill checks can hurt in IF. If not done properly, it heavily encourages metagaming, so I am glad that this game is on the lighter side.
You can create hidden checks. Then you can only metagame after reading it in a wiki or experimenting yourself.
Doesn't really solve the issue. Usually it's pretty clear what skill it checks for anyway - as it somewhat should be - so you might still be tempted to metagame.

The author of the Infinity saga, Paul Wang, talked about the issue of implementing too straightforward skill checks. One has to create more nuance, so the player doesn't just intuitively plow through obvious skill checks and must actively think about the decisions. I think it's best when the choices are not just about success or failure, but have explicit narrative consequences.

Harthwain

Magister
Doesn't really solve the issue. Usually it's pretty clear what skill it checks for anyway - as it somewhat should be - so you might still be tempted to metagame.

The author of the Infinity saga, Paul Wang, talked about the issue of implementing too straightforward skill checks. One has to create more nuance, so the player doesn't just intuitively plow through obvious skill checks and must actively think about the decisions. I think it's best when the choices are not just about success or failure, but have explicit narrative consequences.
Yeah, Disco Elysium does exactly this - not only the skill checks are hidden, there are also many of them, for many skills and the outcomes (success or failure) can be interesting in and of itself. You could go even further and implement gradual success or failure. I swear I read "moderate success" somewhere, but I am not sure where it was... Could've been some tabletop.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Careful with these heretical thoughts, brother. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you to be a Camarilla rat. The Sword of Caine can never be broken.
Much as I appreciate the ritae, as the name implies the Sword of Caine is a tool. In my Clan's case it is a tool of vengeance against the Usurpers and the teutonic Ventrue vipers. Be aware that titles both of Prince and Bishop are at best secondary to that of Voivode.

Yeah, Disco Elysium does exactly this - not only the skill checks are hidden, there are also many of them, for many skills and the outcomes (success or failure) can be interesting in and of itself. You could go even further and implement gradual success or failure. I swear I read "moderate success" somewhere, but I am not sure where it was... Could've been some tabletop.
Some interactive novels sparingly use moderate success as an option.

Low skill - bad outcome, usually ends the scene
Medium skill - neutral outcome, usually tests you further until a concrete outcome is reached.
High skill - good outcome, usually ends the scene.

However, I cannot say with certainty if there is an interactive novel that consistently uses this all the way through.

Much as I appreciate the ritae, as the name implies the Sword of Caine is a tool. In my Clan's case it is a tool of vengeance against the Usurpers and the teutonic Ventrue vipers. Be aware that titles both of Prince and Bishop are at best secondary to that of Voivode.
We are all tools of the Dark Father. Whoever fancies himself to be his own master is a delusional fool. Yield to Dark Father's will and you shall discover your true destiny, or else perish like the rest.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Missing out on an entire path just because your black magic skill is 79% and not 80% can piss one off.
There are some skill-checks like that in Parliament, to be fair. It's to accomplish particularly badass sequences. I replayed the game more times than I can count to try and pass one particular skill check in the late game. Probably replayed it at least 15 times.
There IS a retry sequence if you fail that skill-check. But you need similarly high stats on the retry.
And if you fail both checks, it leads to a gruesome game-over.

It's the skill-check to betray and destroy the Ventrue Primogen, Vivian Maier, right as she reaches her goal. You need a strength of 70 and composure of 50, minimum, to manage to push her into the Tremere wards from behind. It's by far the most backstabby scene in the whole game, both literally and figuratively.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Missing out on an entire path just because your black magic skill is 79% and not 80% can piss one off.
There are some skill-checks like that in Parliament, to be fair. It's to accomplish particularly badass sequences. I replayed the game more times than I can count to try and pass one particular skill check in the late game. Probably replayed it at least 15 times.
There IS a retry sequence if you fail that skill-check. But you need similarly high stats on the retry.
And if you fail both checks, it leads to a gruesome game-over.

It's the skill-check to betray and destroy the Ventrue Primogen, Vivian Maier, right as she reaches her goal. You need a strength of 70 and composure of 50, minimum, to manage to push her into the Tremere wards from behind. It's by far the most backstabby scene in the whole game, both literally and figuratively.
Quite fascinating. I've just finished the CYOA, and had little to no interaction with the Ventrue Primogen. I shall have to replay it a few times, I see.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I must add that PoK is happening at the stratum of a city's Camarilla that in my view reflects the meat of the setting. The player is not some 13th Generation whelp, but a trusted retainer of one of the local Court's luminaries. In the thick of the politicking.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm not saying one of you needs to get a new avatar, I think there was already a thread on the matter.

But it's getting hard to keep track.

1700437299899.png

Sarathiour

Cipher
I'm not saying one of you needs to get a new avatar, I think there was already a thread on the matter.

But it's getting hard to keep track.

View attachment 43651
Last time this discussion happened in general feedback maxie ended up trolled, so be careful what you wish for.

I wouldn't blame you for not knowing though, nobody sane should put a foot in in the GF, it's magnitude worse than GD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom