Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yup,ACG is really shit at reviewing games. You can watch its whole review and still don't know what the game is about.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Royal army had TONS of soldier with hipster beards.
And what was hidden under those turbans?
Hipster buns and (as one can guess) other hipster hairstyles
Shaggy hair plus beard, yes.

Shaved sides plus shaved face, yes.

Shaved sides plus rough beard ("tight and shaggy"), still seen zero evidence that anyone ever did that before modern hipsters.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So if the combat is shit, does that mean you can do a CYOA full Metal Gear Solid ghost run, or is it like Human Revolution and there are garbage mandatory fights you must do.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I put a couple of hours in the game just to spite the local bulgarian pirate.

The most horrifying thing until now are the controls: the game was designed for a pad ... and KB+mouse are not handled properly. 1st step for whoever wants to play this -> disable mouse sensitivity.

Second most horrifying fact are the loading screens. Too long even with an SSD. While it looks good I think they crippled the engine to fit the consoles cause honestly it feels like a shitty port.

Third horror is the dialogue wheel. It suffers from the same thing all of them suffered: you choose an option and the avatar is angry and says something else. Who the fuck invented them? If it was Bioware then they have a special place in hell. Next to HhR.

Other than this there are stupid things like the fact that our doctor is death incarnate for hundreds of human enemies and vampires but still at the same time he can poetically muse about life and death. It's the same shit as Lara Croft killing thousands of people without remorse.

Also there are small storytelling discrepancies: one moment you don't know about vampires are and the second moment you are describing their subspecies !? I did not play too much but there were a couple of wtf moments like that.

But the story and the atmosphere were decent until now. The quests are nothing special but they do make sense in the game world (which is good) and a couple of them are compelling to say the least.

And I was pleasantly surprised by ... wait for it ... by the combat. It's not Dark Souls but at lvl5 I was able to kill a Skal lvl 14 and some vampire at lvl 16. This is incline in my book cause skill based player will have fun with this shit.

Overall, not great but not bad either. I look forward to play more and see if there are real consequences.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing for an hour now. Atmosphere and music, top notch! Especially the music, it's a mix of old time-y horror tunes with synthesizers. Bit of a disconnect between character and gameplay, with that I mean the whole killing thing. I understand the guys you are killing are anti-vampire mooks but still, the disconnect is there. Main character feels nice, he seems very interesting, calm and collected. He is a man of science after all! Maybe the game would have been better as an adventure game, but then again the combat is kinda fun. You dart around and slaughter people to the left and right, and it makes you feel very powerful. The main character even comments on it. He actually commented on it and felt excited over it at the same time I discovered how effective of a killing machine he is, so that was a real nice "gaming" moment. Oh well, back to it.

ju3A3mD.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
How is the city map?

So far it looks like a map from Thief 2014: linear, hard to navigate and full of loading screens.

PrettyDeadman

Wow, didn't expect the eurotax.
This means the game must be good, right?

Kitchen Utensil

What is it with this retarded off-center camera. I mean, the game probably has more serious problems than that, but Jesus Christ is it off-putting. Also, what use do these animated setting screens have exactly, besides making them that tiny bit harder to navigate?

The whole industry appears to be mentally retarded beyond hope.

what makes me really surprised are people that in 2018 still trust reviews. I will tell you why the reviews nowadays do not make any sense anymore.

*Start writing review for every game that came out since 2009* (or maybe I should write 2008?)

Game is plagued by technical issues, and as such, the enjoyment one can get is greatly diminished by the sheer frustration you'll be getting by facing bugs, oddities, glitches. My suggestion is to wait for the patches, Dlc(s) and expansions before trying this game.

*End review*

Better than any review out there for Vampyr that you can read in any blog or website.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
>you can do a no kills run
>mandatory fights in the tutorial

FAKE NEWS
By no kill they mean you don't need to kill any of the named NPCs. Everyone knows that people that attack you are not alive or human so killing them does not count :prosper:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
C'mon it's not like he couldn't play it since yesterday. On the other hand internet connection in some countries is shit.
I'd have to spend by at least 3 hours to download it. I think I'd rather visit dentist first. (And then after paying these fees, cure my aftereffects by sweet piracy.)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
toro can the keys be remapped?

Yes.

How is the city map?

So far it looks like a map from Thief 2014: linear, hard to navigate and full of loading screens.

You can basically go anywhere without loading screens cause there are none when you are outside (although the mobs levels are much higher than in the starting district).

On the other hand, the actual map is some shit from consoles that you cannot browse or use easily without a pad.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
cdkeysDOTcom has the game in stock for very tempting EUR 28.69 right now.

:takemymoney:

That's my dealer. The game is definitely not worth 45 potatoes. The only risk is that there is no refund if you don't like the game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The most horrifying thing until now are the controls: the game was designed for a pad ... and KB+mouse are not handled properly. 1st step for whoever wants to play this -> disable mouse sensitivity.

Second most horrifying fact are the loading screens. Too long even with an SSD. While it looks good I think they crippled the engine to fit the consoles cause honestly it feels like a shitty port.

Third horror is the dialogue wheel. It suffers from the same thing all of them suffered: you choose an option and the avatar is angry and says something else. Who the fuck invented them? If it was Bioware then they have a special place in hell. Next to HhR.

Other than this there are stupid things like the fact that our doctor is death incarnate for hundreds of human enemies and vampires but still at the same time he can poetically muse about life and death. It's the same shit as Lara Croft killing thousands of people without remorse.

Also there are small storytelling discrepancies: one moment you don't know about vampires are and the second moment you are describing their subspecies !? I did not play too much but there were a couple of wtf moments like that.

But the story and the atmosphere were decent until now. The quests are nothing special but they do make sense in the game world (which is good) and a couple of them are compelling to say the least.

And I was pleasantly surprised by ... wait for it ... by the combat. It's not Dark Souls but at lvl5 I was able to kill a Skal lvl 14 and some vampire at lvl 16. This is incline in my book cause skill based player will have fun with this shit.

Overall, not great but not bad either. I look forward to play more and see if there are real consequences.
these few sentences tell me more things that actually matter than most of the "professional" reviewers did. Thx.
:bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom