Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Moar:

- there's no backstory to any of the main characters. No notes or non-main NPCs mentioning them. All is said in the main quest, start to finish. They really dropped the ball after LiS and LiS: BTS.
- alas, poor Jonathan can't ever lie proficiently or make a good excuse.

Conclusion:

1. After that immersion-breaking manic pixie girl, and seeing you can't do anything, I just started eating people. Being sure not to let over half of them die. Fun character? Sure but he's worth 5k XP. District level just above critical at best? It's gonna work out somehow as long as gain/loss ratio is maximized.
2. Around the same time I started skipping dialogue a lot.
3. That hamfisted "guilt-ridden cursed chosen one" shtick was too much.

- Say things that please people, not what makes sense.
I mean thats probably the most realistic things about the dialogue no :lol:

In a way, yeah :D But you don't base your real-life decisions on trying to please everyone. They're more like, "that's where I stand, deal with it or beat it".

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In a way, yeah :D But you don't base your real-life decisions on trying to please everyone. They're more like, "that's where I stand, deal with it or beat it".

No, in real world you try to present your position to be as pleasing as possible to them, finding small compromise so long you achieve your end goal.

Kinda depends on the job I guess but persuading and getting persuaded is pretty much part of daily life and the rule of thumb of interacting with people. You give some ground here, they give their ground there. Which one getting more profit out of shit depends on how smart you are on per case basis.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished it a bit more than a week ago.
While certainly having its flaws, I kinda enjoyed it. It's an ok experience, and the genre itself is a major bonus point imho.
The SJW stuff is definitely there, but it's bearable. Of course, as many have already ponited out, it's less than great that often times I can't pick a non-SJW answer. That sucks. Also some of the stronnk wymmyn are a bit annoying.
But I've certainly seen worse, and it doesn't feel like the whole game was built for the purpose of furthering an ideology.
I found the sometimes clunky camera during fights more stressful tbh.
What was a bit disappointing was that I hoped for more real c&c. There isn't that much of it, and that's a shame. Wasted potential I think.
Still, atmosphere and music were very good, and the story was good for what it was.
If there'd be a sequel, I would probably play it as well.

‘Vampyr’ Video Game Optioned For Series Development By Fox 21 TV Studios & McG’s Wonderland

In a competitive situation, Fox 21 Television Studios has optioned the rights to video game Vampyr to develop as a series with McG’s Wonderland Sound & Vision and DJ2 Entertainment.

Set in 1918 London, Vampyr revolves around a morally righteous doctor who mysteriously turns into a vampire and is now torn between his solemn commitment to save lives and his insatiable urge to feed. With a deadly virus spreading that only he can cure, the doctor must decide who to kill in his tight-knit community to stay alive long enough to save everyone from certain death.

McG is attached to direct and executive produce with Wonderland’s Mary Viola and Corey Marsh and DJ2’s Dmitri Johnson and Stephan Bugaj.

The game, developed by France’s Dontnod Entertainment (Life Is Strange) and published by Focus Home Interactive, launched on June 5 on all major platforms. The game sold more 450,000 in its first month, opening at No. 1 in the U.S. and several European countries.

DJ2 is repped by APA and Bloom Hergott. Wonderland Sound & Vision is repped by WME and Management 360.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/vampyr...fox-21-tv-studios-mcgs-wonderland-1202446443/

A Vampyr TV series is in development

Vampyr is in line for a TV adaptation. Dontnod’s vampiric action RPG is barely two months old at this point, but it’s already caught the attention of folks outside the game industry.

Fox 21 Television Studios has optioned the rights to make a Vampyr television series, in partnership with Wonderland Sound & Vision and dj2 Entertainment. Wonderland is the production company behind Supernatural and the Lethal Weapon reboot, and dj2 is a transmedia company that handles videogame adaptations.

Deadline describes the deal as coming together in a “competitive situation.” McG – known for, er, the Charlie’s Angels films and Terminator Salvation – is set to direct and executive produce.

Vampyr sales numbers racked up to nearly half a million in its first month – a solid success for a small title, if not earth-shattering. Either way, Vampyr might not be your first choice if you’re looking for a game from the Dontnod library to make the jump to another medium.

That live action Life is Strange series, for the record, is still kicking around after its initial announcement back in 2016. It showed up in another Deadline report late last year on videogame licenses sold by dj2, where Hulu was announced as picking up the rights.

Life is Strange’s twisting road to adaptation should be a reminder not to expect immediate developments when the topic of videogame TV show or movie comes up. Rights are traded around all the time, and there’s not guarantee that this Vampyr series will ever see the light of day – this announcement just means that it might.

If you missed it back in June, check out our Vampyr PC review. The story certainly has the teeth to make for an engaging TV adaptation, though the gameplay doesn’t always hold its end of the bargain. Maybe that makes it the perfect candidate for television.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/vampyr/vampyr-tv-show

Cael

Arcane
‘Vampyr’ Video Game Optioned For Series Development By Fox 21 TV Studios & McG’s Wonderland

In a competitive situation, Fox 21 Television Studios has optioned the rights to video game Vampyr to develop as a series with McG’s Wonderland Sound & Vision and DJ2 Entertainment.

Set in 1918 London, Vampyr revolves around a morally righteous doctor who mysteriously turns into a vampire and is now torn between his solemn commitment to save lives and his insatiable urge to feed. With a deadly virus spreading that only he can cure, the doctor must decide who to kill in his tight-knit community to stay alive long enough to save everyone from certain death.

McG is attached to direct and executive produce with Wonderland’s Mary Viola and Corey Marsh and DJ2’s Dmitri Johnson and Stephan Bugaj.

The game, developed by France’s Dontnod Entertainment (Life Is Strange) and published by Focus Home Interactive, launched on June 5 on all major platforms. The game sold more 450,000 in its first month, opening at No. 1 in the U.S. and several European countries.

DJ2 is repped by APA and Bloom Hergott. Wonderland Sound & Vision is repped by WME and Management 360.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/vampyr...fox-21-tv-studios-mcgs-wonderland-1202446443/
The constant diving to the side, strutting around and whacking the bad guys with an iron pipe is going to get stale by episode 4...

Fox21 has secured the rights to DONTNOD Entertainment and Focus Home Interactive’s hit RPG video game, Vampyr, for Wonderland Sound & Vision and DJ2 Entertainment to adapt for television.

As the developers of Vampyr, Dontnod CEO Oskar Guilbert goes on the record to say, “we believe it is a fantastic premise for a television show. This is a new and exciting way for fans of the game, as well as the uninitiated, to enter and engage with Vampyr's rich, deep story. We cannot wait to see how the talented team at Fox21 will bring out the darkly atmospheric universe of our game into television.”

Focus’ CEO Jurgen Goeldner agrees and says, “we are delighted to partner with Fox21 for the adaptation of Vampyr into a TV series. DONTNOD has created a uniquely dark, immersive world with deep narration, which has made Vampyr already a modern video game classic. We cannot wait to see Fox21 bring all of their talent and experience in launching a TV show that will allow an even wider audience to discover the fantastic universe of Vampyr.”

“The DJ2 team loves the creative vision Dontnod & Focus devote to all of their projects,” says DJ2 CEO, Dmitri Johnson. “The great relationship we’ve built with them since partnering on their incredible game, Life is Strange, allowed us to get on board for Vampyr well before its release. Like them, we’re excited to collaborate with our friends at Fox21, Wonderland, and the rest of the creative team we’re assembling.”

Vampyr is available on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/28086/vampyr-fox21-secures-the-rights-to-develop-the-tv-series

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I guess someone's going to beat White Wolf aka Paradox to having a "multimedia franchise" made out of their property, at least as far as TV/movie goes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Vampyr
Deadline reports Fox 21 is teaming with McG to develop a TV series based on Dontnod Entertainment’s recently released RPG video game Vampyr, about a clinician who gets turned into a creature of the night and tasked with combating an epidemic in 1918 London.

Latelistener

Arcane
Bloodlines is still far superior to this game which is embarrassing considering its age and its rushed state.
I'd say the problem is usually the lack of respect for older titles. I wonder if someone from the leads considered playing Bloodlines or even knows what that is.

The example I always getting laughs from is XCOM. Jake Solomon basically admitted that pre-made maps was a shitty idea and XCOM 2 will feature procedurally generated maps. Just why? Why you had to do it your own way just to fuel your ego, admit that it sucks and then get back to the concept made 20 years ago in the original X-COM?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Vampires aside, this game is basically about a contused doctor walking around London cheering gays.

1. Combat is mediocre at best and becomes annoying fast due to a lot of backtracking and respawning trash mobs.
2. Graphics is nice, but gets old fast as well - all city districts look pretty much the same, start to finish, like dark and gloomy slums.
3. RPG system is shit. This game supposedly has a focus on social interactions, yet there are zero social skills and abilities, zero exploration skills or anything not related to combat. Combat skills are few and nothing special, leveling is basically limited to +10% combat stat increases.
4. Every single NPC not related to main plot is a walking stereotype/codex/loredump machine which is there for a sole purpose of educating the player on the devs viewpoint on the many social issues, almost exlusively related to modern SJW agenda. Within the first hour after prologue you will be preached about gays, interracial relationships, immigrants, suicide rights, feminism etc. None of them have anything to do with the story, vampires or each other, nor presented in any interesting way. And you can do absolutely nothing with the information you get - you can't help the npcs, report them, punish them, blackmail them or anything - all those conflict situations are left unresolved.
5. Choices are shit. 90% of dialog options are fluff barely distinguishable from each other ("1. It happens" / "2. I understand" / "3. Please continue"), yet when it would actually make sense for the player to make a choice of reply for the sake of roleplaying (like making a stance on some issue), we usually get a moralistic autodialog without any alternative ("You are a brave woman", "I understand and don't judge", "Your secret is safe with me" etc.) In rare cases when you actually can make a meaningful choice, there is always a right choice (hint - SJW), and wrong choices which punish the player in some way. Also it's often not obvious which option does what, the game intentionally forces you to make a choice when you don't have any info to base it upon a priori, so you make a blind choice and deal with some random crap since this game doesn't even have save slots.
6. Exploration is pretty much non-existent. You likely won't miss any side content if you just follow the main quest, and side quests are very basic, all use the same template and are more or less useless - no consequences, no story or lore related info, not even cool loot to get.
7. Lore and story are often confusing and disconnected from actual gameplay. Kill an elite vampire hunter for 5xp, kill a named bum for 5000xp. Murder a couple of crazy serial killers and get a bad ending. Slaughter 500 relatively innocent guardsmen and be a saint.
8. The most distinctive characteristic of the main character is that he doesn't have any. The lack of any rp options doesn't help either.

tl;dr game is shit and barely a RPG.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Vampires aside, this game is basically about a contused doctor walking around London cheering gays.

1. Combat is mediocre at best and becomes annoying fast due to a lot of backtracking and respawning trash mobs.
2. Graphics is nice, but gets old fast as well - all city districts look pretty much the same, start to finish, like dark and gloomy slums.
3. RPG system is shit. This game supposedly has a focus on social interactions, yet there are zero social skills and abilities, zero exploration skills or anything not related to combat. Combat skills are few and nothing special, leveling is basically limited to +10% combat stat increases.
4. Every single NPC not related to main plot is a walking stereotype/codex/loredump machine which is there for a sole purpose of educating the player on the devs viewpoint on the many social issues, almost exlusively related to modern SJW agenda. Within the first hour after prologue you will be preached about gays, interracial relationships, immigrants, suicide rights, feminism etc. None of them have anything to do with the story, vampires or each other, nor presented in any interesting way. And you can do absolutely nothing with the information you get - you can't help the npcs, report them, punish them, blackmail them or anything - all those conflict situations are left unresolved.
5. Choices are shit. 90% of dialog options are fluff barely distinguishable from each other ("1. It happens" / "2. I understand" / "3. Please continue"), yet when it would actually make sense for the player to make a choice of reply for the sake of roleplaying (like making a stance on some issue), we usually get a moralistic autodialog without any alternative ("You are a brave woman", "I understand and don't judge", "Your secret is safe with me" etc.) In rare cases when you actually can make a meaningful choice, there is always a right choice (hint - SJW), and wrong choices which punish the player in some way. Also it's often not obvious which option does what, the game intentionally forces you to make a choice when you don't have any info to base it upon a priori, so you make a blind choice and deal with some random crap since this game doesn't even have save slots.
6. Exploration is pretty much non-existent. You likely won't miss any side content if you just follow the main quest, and side quests are very basic, all use the same template and are more or less useless - no consequences, no story or lore related info, not even cool loot to get.
7. Lore and story are often confusing and disconnected from actual gameplay. Kill an elite vampire hunter for 5xp, kill a named bum for 5000xp. Murder a couple of crazy serial killers and get a bad ending. Slaughter 500 relatively innocent guardsmen and be a saint.
8. The most distinctive characteristic of the main character is that he doesn't have any. The lack of any rp options doesn't help either.

Incredibly accurate from my few hours of playing it before uninstalling.

Sykar

Arcane

I do not get it. This game plays in an era where SJW feels completely out of place. Forget about the plot and the Vampire stuff, what does SJW have to do with a late 19th century setting even if fictional?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I do not get it. This game plays in an era where SJW feels completely out of place. Forget about the plot and the Vampire stuff, what does SJW have to do with a late 19th century setting even if fictional?

I'm as anti-SJW as you can be, but in the 19th century, homosexuality, women's rights etc. were subjects of public or at least intellectual discourse. So they could be included without necessarily being SJW preaching, but that's probably too much to expect from a modern developer.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity

I'm as anti-SJW as you can be, but in the 19th century, homosexuality, women's rights etc. were subjects of public or at least intellectual discourse. So they could be included without necessarily being SJW preaching, but that's probably too much to expect from a modern developer.
Exactly. I mean, SJW phenomena aside, themes like racism, feminism etc are real and certainly can be used as plot engines in a serious RPG, and are actually used in many games since forever. Problem is with the presentation, when I play a game about vampires I don't expect 90% of dialog time to feel like I'm reading some college activist twitter or reddit. In this game these topics are not played or presented in any interesting way, you're continuously pestered by them, topic after topic, there is no debate, no choices to make nor actions, plus all these issue dumps are completely self contained - they are irrelevant to the main plot, characters, each other or the main theme. Within the 1st 10 hours of playtime you meet more gays than vampires you can communicate with.

Cael

Arcane

If the SJW fucks can shoehorn SJW-ism into Battletech, a 80s era tabletop wargame of giant robots, they can definitely ram SJW vomit into anything.

Sykar

Arcane

Exactly. I mean, SJW phenomena aside, themes like racism, feminism etc are real and certainly can be used as plot engines in a serious RPG, and are actually used in many games since forever. Problem is with the presentation, when I play a game about vampires I don't expect 90% of dialog time to feel like I'm reading some college activist twitter or reddit. In this game these topics are not played or presented in any interesting way, you're continuously pestered by them, topic after topic, there is no debate, no choices to make nor actions, plus all these issue dumps are completely self contained - they are irrelevant to the main plot, characters, each other or the main theme. Within the 1st 10 hours of playtime you meet more gays than vampires you can communicate with.

To me these topics are not "SJW" topics inherently. It is how SJW make a victim and virtue signaling culture out of it which grates on my nerves.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.focus-home.com/en/news/...vailable-now-on-playstation-4-xbox-one-and-pc

TWO NEW DIFFICULTY MODES AVAILABLE NOW ON PLAYSTATION 4, XBOX ONE, AND PC!

DONTNOD Entertainment’s narrative-driven action-RPG Vampyr continues to receive ongoing support, as the difficulty modes update releases today on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. There’s never been a better time for players to sink their teeth in to the dark streets of London.

This update includes two new game difficulty modes which add further replayability for existing players, and more options for those who haven’t yet gotten to grips with this dark adventure through 1918 London.

Story Mode de-emphasizes combat, placing a greater focus on narrative so players can enjoy Dr. Jonathan Reid’s journey with less challenging gameplay. On the other end of the scale, Hard Mode makes combat much more difficult. Players will receive less experience from killing enemies too, forcing them to rely even more on embracing citizens to grow in power. Upon starting a new game, players will be given the option to choose from these two new modes or a third ‘Normal Mode’ if they wish to play the original Vampyr experience.

In addition to the new difficulty modes, the update introduces a host of optimization tweaks and fixes. Nvidia Ansel will also be made available for PC, which allows players to capture beautiful in-game screenshots, viewing and sharing them in 3D on mobile phone, PC or VR Headset. View the full patchnotes here.

Vampyr is out now on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. The new update is available right now. To order the game and for more details, visit http://vampyr-game.com/

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Vampyr is not that bad. It is not great either. But looking at those 70ish metascores makes me cringe. was it really that bad according to the morons who work for game publications? Nice little game with a cool vampire story to make us reminince of Vampire the Masquarade. It deserved a 80 metascore...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still a "B-list" backlog type game for me, but nice to see a hard mode added to make me care about getting xp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom