Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"We made war simpler but it actually turns out it is too complex for our tiny brains to program correctly." God bless Paradox.
I have watched several streams of the game, multiple reviews, gameplay vids, etc.
I'd say I have a pretty good grasp on how stuff works in the game, at least on a basic level.

Still, I have no clue what is truly happening in combat or why some things happen the way that they do - and I mean beyond bugs (I hope that's a bug) like generals teleporting around as if they got a Delorean.
They somehow managed to make a system that has a much lower complexity than eg HoI4 appear twice as complicated by manner of terrible interface design.

Truly impressive. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

In a war between Russia and Ottomans this is one front according to Paradox, all you need to know about the current system.

ShFy2PT.jpg

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vic3 is at its core mobile game. All you do is build shit and wait for it so you can build more shit with different name. Don't have resources? Just click the energy button (Bureaucracy) to spent 20⚡ and get more resources so you can build more.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Vic3 is at its core mobile game. All you do is build shit and wait for it so you can build more shit with different name. Don't have resources? Just click the energy button (Bureaucracy) to spent 20⚡ and get more resources so you can build more.
You are behind the times little toddler. Grampy Axioms has been posting about how EU4 is an idle clicker for years. Stacking minor bonuses, waiting for mana to recharge, etc.

OK, fess up, who managed to get into HR at Paradox and is trying to sabotage them by hiring the worst people imaginable?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Since when Suslov, a powerful soviet statesman with ridiculously puritan beliefs, became a war criminal? But I see the pattern. Both TNO and V3 have zero understanding of UI.

I don't care much for commie apologism, but the guy does seem based from a glance - he allegedly used to oversee deportations of chechens and other muslims and purge jews from media and public institutions.

None

Scholar
It is now official that Paradox is unsalvageable and the only way of fixing it would be to burn it down and start over. How anyone could look at TNO, given the absolute shitshow it was/is, and think that a dev from that mod is a good hire is beyond me. Not only that, but it is indicative of current and future development strategy: more fan fiction interspersed by minigames that are less complex than the ones you may play on your phone. Can't wait for the ACW content where you can fix the union by getting rid of all the chuds while managing your racism meter, or the inevitable whitewashing of communist states.

I actually miss Johan. Things were better when it was just him and a couple of other devs.

I mean, the writings were on the wall years back. The insightful have pointed out times and again how and why has Paradox taken its "woke" detour and how the quality of their products had begun to suffer as a consequence. Of course the hiring is done on a purely ideological basis - disregarding the "quality" of TNO, the drama in its circles alone would indicate to the sane and wise to stay away as much as possible from the individuals involved with its development.

None

Scholar
I mean, the writings were on the wall years back. The insightful have pointed out times and again how and why has Paradox taken its "woke" detour and how the quality of their products had begun to suffer as a consequence. Of course the hiring is done on a purely ideological basis - disregarding the "quality" of TNO, the drama in its circles alone would indicate to the sane and wise to stay away as much as possible from the individuals involved with its development.
Of course, I've read those words and contributed some myself. All this did was throw out the last amount of hope that the Paradox I grew up with had any chance of coming back.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Being "woke" is hardly the worst problem with Paradox. Incest memes and eugenics isn't woke and yet that is the driving force of CK3.

The real problem is Paradox have chosen to move away from simulation and towards "gamey" and "memey" games. And yeah their old games had simulation issues but that was a technology capability limitation, not a design choice. Massively better CPUs and high RAM over the last 20 years should mean an increasingly deep and meaningful simulation but instead they went for fancy, not even good necessarily, graphics, 3d maps and character models, and other boring crap like that. Being "woke" is the least of the problems with modern Paradox. Let them do any woke shit they want as long as they stop gimping all the good mechanics...

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
But then you run into the problem of "We don't actually know how we did this back then..."
Like with Vic 2

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
That problem is everywhere. And of the very few who still exist who can, say, code good AI, almost all follow the shekels and go make augmented reality HUDs for identifying (and ventilating) dissidents instead.

The exceptions are almost always modders, usually university-aged guys with some time and a lot of passion and interest on their hands.

Being "woke" is hardly the worst problem with Paradox. Incest memes and eugenics isn't woke and yet that is the driving force of CK3.

The real problem is Paradox have chosen to move away from simulation and towards "gamey" and "memey" games. And yeah their old games had simulation issues but that was a technology capability limitation, not a design choice. Massively better CPUs and high RAM over the last 20 years should mean an increasingly deep and meaningful simulation but instead they went for fancy, not even good necessarily, graphics, 3d maps and character models, and other boring crap like that. Being "woke" is the least of the problems with modern Paradox. Let them do any woke shit they want as long as they stop gimping all the good mechanics...
Don't mistake a symptom for the cause of the disease. All that upper management making the calls and the incompetent blue haired, nose ring interns and team leads are initially filtered through an ideologically compromised HR roastie department.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Don't mistake a symptom for the cause of the disease. All that upper management making the calls and the incompetent blue haired, nose ring interns and team leads are initially filtered through an ideologically compromised HR roastie department.
Johan did a bunch of dumb shit, too. Not sure you can blame it on wokeness.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Institutions aren’t physical objects and don’t really have an actual mass or inertia; that’s something we see in history and to the current day. They’re like money: they only exist because enough people have agreed to use and enforce them. Get enough to stop, and poof! They go away.

:retarded:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Institutions aren’t physical objects and don’t really have an actual mass or inertia; that’s something we see in history and to the current day. They’re like money: they only exist because enough people have agreed to use and enforce them. Get enough to stop, and poof! They go away.

:retarded:
To be fair, that got vast amounts of disagreement even on the PDX forums.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I started editing my save file to remove some grave historical inaccuracies. Will turn it into a mod if I can be bothered to learn how.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom