Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Not an argument
Neither is "why do you care lol". Why do you bother reading and posting in this thread, in which you are bothered by other people bothering to play the game? Very unhealthy behavior.
Nigger I made a joke in reference to your name

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Not an argument
Neither is "why do you care lol". Why do you bother reading and posting in this thread, in which you are bothered by other people bothering to play the game? Very unhealthy behavior.
Nigger I made a joke in reference to your name
You made that joke, because you felt that way. You don't make that joke every time you see a post of mine. And you then followed up with yet another post to the same effect. And your last 2 posts ITT are asking people to not talk about Victoria 3, in the Victoria 3 thread.
If you don't like Thing X, don't subscribe to the Thing X thread, and don't respond to people talking about Thing X. Super simple stuff.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
If you don't like Thing X, don't subscribe to the Thing X thread, and don't respond to people talking about Thing X. Super simple stuff.
1670338625955.png

Paradox patches vs. Owlcat patches, which company FUBARs their game harder?

I'd say Owlcat is worse, but Paradox will take a 2 month Swedish mandatory vacation immediately after every major patch while Owlcat at least fixes whatever they broke within a week or two.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
OMG. I'm just so happy that Vicky3 and CK3 are so shit. There's a 20% gap between them and EU4/Stellaris and then like an 80% gap above that with HOI4. God they are such disappointments and they are getting roasted so hard. Thank god they sold Vicky3 for 50-70$ or they'd be broke lmao.

Edit: Sorry, those percentages relate to their active concurrent player counts.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
OMG. I'm just so happy that Vicky3 and CK3 are so shit. There's a 20% gap between them and EU4/Stellaris and then like an 80% gap above that with HOI4. God they are such disappointments and they are getting roasted so hard. Thank god they sold Vicky3 for 50-70$ or they'd be broke lmao.
Their failure to learn from Imperator's failure is pretty staggering.

XenomorphII

Prophet
CK3 had a pretty solid release, especially as far as paradox titles goes. They just utterly failed to capitalize on it and take the game anywhere. It has been a couple of years now with the only notable addition being the court thing. Vicky feels like a shit show right now and if they do the same sort of meh that they have done for CK3 it will not really be worth playing.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The Vicky3 reddit sub is flooded with rage about fronts, the war system in general, and generals. Glorious. What a disaster. "We made war simpler but it actually turns out it is too complex for our tiny brains to program correctly." God bless Paradox.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We made war simpler but it actually turns out it is too complex for our tiny brains to program correctly." God bless Paradox.
I have watched several streams of the game, multiple reviews, gameplay vids, etc.
I'd say I have a pretty good grasp on how stuff works in the game, at least on a basic level.

Still, I have no clue what is truly happening in combat or why some things happen the way that they do - and I mean beyond bugs (I hope that's a bug) like generals teleporting around as if they got a Delorean.
They somehow managed to make a system that has a much lower complexity than eg HoI4 appear twice as complicated by manner of terrible interface design.

Truly impressive. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Still, I have no clue what is truly happening in combat or why some things happen the way that they do - and I mean beyond bugs (I hope that's a bug) like generals teleporting around as if they got a Delorean.
They somehow managed to make a system that has a much lower complexity than eg HoI4 appear twice as complicated by manner of terrible interface design.
Main thing is to open up the drop down to look at individual units to see whether they are suffering penalties due to something or have less than their max regiment size. Otherwise if you have decent tech and generals (e.g. attack with a general who has an attack bonus), you'll win.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Main thing is to open up the drop down to look at individual units to see whether they are suffering penalties due to something or have less than their max regiment size. Otherwise if you have decent tech and generals (e.g. attack with a general who has an attack bonus), you'll win.
My favorite rage story was the guy who was trying to conquer China as Japan and his armies would attack any part of the front except the very tiny part the Chinese had gotten to before his army actually arrived which caused him to lose to ticking wargoal score even though he was winning every battle and had a vastly superior army.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
https://steamcommunity.com/app/529340/discussions/0/3721692478286302543/

This thread is fantastic. Both for the OP for a variety of reasons and for the absolute dogshit retard, sorry there's no PC acceptable word to describe this guy, known as Dave. What an insufferable douche. I finally see what the PDox devs mean when they say the steam forums are a hellhole. But yeah also the fantastic criticisms of Paradox like this one: "Victoria 3 is a simulation of the Victorian Age in the same sense that Monopoly is a simulation of New York real estate. What-ifs have the same relevance as what if Car rolls an 8 on the first turn and buys Vermont Avenue?"

I've given it a proper try at 1.1, didn't bother for longer than an hour when it released, since I played the leak and it was 80% the same game anyway.
Here's my short take on it - imagine if you will, if there was a button in game, that would automatically set all your production methods to most optimal profit yields in regards to the market's current supply and demand. Wouldn't that be handy?
Not only would it save you all the tooltip hunting and checking the projected profits or deficits but it would also eliminate what is the primary gameplay loop of the game. I brought fucking two states Montenegro to no.1 gdp before 1880 and 85% of my gameplay was just that - autistically monitoring the minute changes and fluctuations in the market to adjust accordingly + globohomo policies of course, because who wouldn't want bongo, congo, longo and dongo tribesmen in their country to serve as factory fodder.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/so-lets-talk-about-the-big-four-resources.1561868/

You know shits on fire when even the official forums put out intelligent criticisms
Its not an intelligent criticism because you can trivially conquer the world barely paying attention to the economy. This is actually the kind of autistic ramblings about some dude's attempt to hyper-optimize the economy that will lead paradox to just tweak a few numbers to make the game even easier and call the game fixed. Meanwhile the much greater issues (like AI being useless or UI being dogshit like in Axioms post before you) go completely unaddressed and unresolved.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
It shows that the AI is incapable of playing the game. In other PDX games that would not affect the player too much but when the global economy rests on the actions of every AI it drags everything down.

I know exactly how they're gonna fix this though: Give the AI free magic resources.

My biggest concern with the game so far is the fact that they've completely withheld an entire gameplay portion from the release, most likely due to sheer incompetence. I don't bother playing with great or major powers, I played all the balkan minors + jabal shammar because the game is trivial otherwise and I am of course talking about interactions with the market whilst being part of another's market, either via custom's union or protectorate. First and foremost, you are notified of shortages and prices even though you might not depend on that certain type of good whatsoever, like small arms or artillery when you've downsized all your barracks. Then, for whatever the reason, you can export stuff to another market (even if you don't produce any of it), but I am not sure what it does except waste your bureaucracy and help out your own overlord. Then, there's the braindead design of staying in your overlord's market while being in a diplomatic play or war for independence - essentially facing a scenario where you're selling your weapons to the market that is out to get you - or at least it seems that's how it works.
To say that the game is idiotic and half baked would be the worst of understatements.

It shows that the AI is incapable of playing the game. In other PDX games that would not affect the player too much but when the global economy rests on the actions of every AI it drags everything down.

I know exactly how they're gonna fix this though: Give the AI free magic resources.

Not really, it just shows that you can't grow infinitely. Consumption of goods is theoretically infinite in Vicky 3 since the maximum standard of living for pops is way above what is reasonably possible to actually provide. The AI providing the player excess resources is actually a sign of its incompetence, if it was competent it would be providing zero resources and instead importing from the player, not providing more resources to the player.

We can see this is true because the player is obviously the most competent player in the game and he's trying to import resources from literally everyone and is complaining that the world doesn't have infinite resources to import. If the AI played like the player they would be writing angry posts on paradox forums about how the player isn't providing them free resources. Paradox will just respond by doubling the resource output of a few buildings or something and call it a day.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a Paradox AI in possession of something valuable, must be in want of a brain.

Literally anything in PDox games that relies on the AI properly manipulating the sandbox is a disaster. Imagine making a whole fucking game with that as the superstructure. The reason everyone conquers the whole fucking world in every game is because trade and diplomacy as useless due to the inherent trashiness of the AI and you need to manage all the natural resources in the world yourself to have a functioning system. Same reason you can't use the sector governors in Stellaris.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom