Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Andnjord

Arcane
What is this bullshit, it's just scuffed front lines from HoI4, how can the Swede lie so much so blatantly.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Considering what was being discussed previously about Paradox being separated into several semi-independent and competing studios it’s possible he’s not even lying and they did code the whole thing from scratch. Yes, this is how much I trust these Swedes being incompetent.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Even so it's ridiculous to claim it's something they never did before. You still move units (armies) around the map and form front lines, just that the gameplay is a mobile tier HoI4. Everything said in that quote is flat out not true except that they are shit at codding and spent the most time on that.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The point of manually moving units is so the player can fight against the odds if they're skilled enough, while the automated system makes wars fairly binary. Unless you do the sneaky naval invasion stuff.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
How automated system is going:
Okay, since yesterday the issues of 1.5.9 are ancient history. 1.5.10 feels and plays vastly differently.

Looks like they tried to hotfix the issue where the ai's small stack attacks lose all progress by tweaking the decision logic whether the ai goes into offense of defense.

How did that work out you ask?

Well... allow me to summarize the state of warfare in 1.5.10 with a little collage of a couple of screenshots that I took while the game was paused:

victoria_3_patch_1_5_10_warfare_collage.png

Summary: The ai now LOVES to sit at the front defending. So much that it often does just that and absolutely nothing else. And no, this is not an isolated incident. It doesn't happen always, but it happens very very often. In my collage, austria was occupied elsewhere. I used that situation to illustrate how absolutely ridiculous the Prussian decision to just sit there for half a year is. But I have also seen France vs Austria both sitting fully mobilized at the front staring at each other, both sides in defensive stance for several years. The attrition casualties went into the millions. Millions of war casualties In a war in the 1840s. Millions of war casualties in a war that didn't even have battles.

And yes, this is of course completely and utterly gamebreaking.

People complain that there is too much negativity on the forum, and rightfully so. I have also been guilty of posting frustrated ramblings that I am not proud of. I do appreciate them trying to hotfix the mess that 1.5 has been so far, I really do. I also appreciate that judging from how they approached the topic, they apparently actually had a rather decent grasp on what the most glaring issues of 1.5.9 were. The problem is of course, that warfare in 1.5.10 is still completely broken, just now in a different way.

All in all, the warfare system still makes this game borderline unplayable, a whopping 14 months after release. Weirdly I am currently still having fun with the game despite that, because the rest of the game is by now in my opinion actually pretty good, once you get the hang of things.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weirdly I am currently still having fun with the game despite that, because the rest of the game is by now in my opinion actually pretty good, once you get the hang of things.
Now THAT is easy to point and laugh at.

But... you know, in a way, I get it.
Due the non-choice nature of the game where after about a dozen hours or so of playing, you are just going through the motions clicking on the next button while the game mostly plays itself and you have no real agenda.
That is... kinda relaxing? Together with the nice, theme-appropriate (mostly) music, it's an easy game to zone out with.
It's the kind of game you could play while working and still getting some work done.

Better games for that, though, no doubt.
And drastically cheaper ones, too.

Andnjord

Arcane
Weirdly I am currently still having fun with the game despite that, because the rest of the game is by now in my opinion actually pretty good, once you get the hang of things.
Now THAT is easy to point and laugh at.

But... you know, in a way, I get it.
Due the non-choice nature of the game where after about a dozen hours or so of playing, you are just going through the motions clicking on the next button while the game mostly plays itself and you have no real agenda.
That is... kinda relaxing? Together with the nice, theme-appropriate (mostly) music, it's an easy game to zone out with.
It's the kind of game you could play while working and still getting some work done.

Better games for that, though, no doubt.
And drastically cheaper ones, too.
Yeah, sounds like he’s just enjoying the cookie clicking nature of it and looking at “Line Goes Up” without realising it.

Just Locus

Educated
I still remember when I was playing Russia and puppeted 90% of the Middle East, Do you know what Spain of all countries decided to do? If you thought that they would try to form an alliance with me like any other individual you thought wrong, what they decided to do was declare war in a front that the game didn't allow me to place troopers on, and when the war started, My attrition was plummeting despite having the upper hand, and just like that I automatically surrendered and lost all of the lands that I had spent 4+ hours taking over.

I've had so many experiences that are bullshit like this, like how during the time I was playing as the United States and while fighting a war with Mexico, The game incessantly continued to automatically assign troops to fronts that were already defensively strong and leave defenseless ones unoccupied and for the taking.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
FOR FUCK'S SAKE PARADOX CHECK YOUR TRIGGERS

Clipboard02.jpg

THE FUCKING NIHILIST WHO STARTED A MOVEMENT TO ENACT FREEDOM OF CONSCIENCE TRIGGERED AN EVENT AGAINST THE LAW!

:timetoburn:

thesecret1

Arcane
Vic 3 shaping up to have a great future ahead of itself. With a carefully curated userbase of dungeaters, everyone else having abandoned ship long ago, every DLC is a guaranteed hit. I can see it already... "Oh my god, an expansion pack where Cthulhu invades the Earth and can only be stopped by suffragette brigades in full steampunk gear? For mere $120??? I'd be a fool not to get it - think of all the reddit gold I'll get from posting meme screens!"

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
In their recent DD on power blocks - you can only be a member of ONE power block. And power blocks include Sovereign Empire, mening Great Britain and Russia cannot be members of Entente and German Empire cannot be members of Central Powers.

Trithne

Erudite
In their recent DD on power blocks - you can only be a member of ONE power block. And power blocks include Sovereign Empire, mening Great Britain and Russia cannot be members of Entente and German Empire cannot be members of Central Powers.
Well yeah, they're reskinned Federations from Stellaris.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://youtu.be/-D5y8u_hfhg?si=JWC2l3Cqb88ZXKxj -- The last two minutes are a summary of the changes.

They'll be changing how ownership of buildings works. It will be possible to build buildings in a foreign country, both as the player and as your own capitalist pops. Pops in one country, or the state (the player), can also buy building levels in different countries, leading to scenarios like pops in England making money off of dividents from a building they bought levels of in China.

The current ridiculous meta of turning your policies to Multiculturalism so as to easily import Chinese labor force in, say, France, making Multiculturalism the most efficient cultural policy will be over, since now your pops can make money, which you can tax, from labor force which is working in another country. A severe blow to the woke agenda :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that completely inaccurate for the time period? It would be accurate to a very limited geographical extent for china and for the UK to be able to build factories in the East India Company (but this itself is only because india is stupidly made to be a subject nation). For everything else having big corporations owning factories in other nations is post-WW2 free trade economics. Certainly no GP (or nation with aspirations to be recognized as a GP) would accept another nation owning their strategic assets like railroads or arms manufacturing.

It's gonna be really stupid if all you have to do is win 1 war vs. china and can then take all the profit of a limitless worker population combined with your tech and capital investment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom